Seattlejo

Default Cost of Brisket?

So what are you paying for Brisket these days? Suggestion where I can
find some decently priced? Locally I'm seeing it at 3.99 a lb and am
wondering if thats a fair price or if I should be looking for something
cheaper. (I'm in Seattle)

Seattlejo

Douglas Barber

Seattlejo wrote:

> So what are you paying for Brisket these days? Suggestion where I can
> find some decently priced? Locally I'm seeing it at 3.99 a lb and am
> wondering if thats a fair price or if I should be looking for something
> cheaper. (I'm in Seattle)
>
> Seattlejo

Need to know whether this price is for a whole brisket (packer-cut,flat
and point in one hunk), in which case it is a sky-high price, or whether
it is for a flat (in which case it's a typical price) or a point.

Take a look at
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/resource...sket-color.jpg

Also

Whole (packer-cut):
http://aggiemeat.tamu.edu/judging/id/047B.jpg

Flat
http://aggiemeat.tamu.edu/judging/id/049B.jpg

Point (deckle, "nose")
http://aggiemeat.tamu.edu/judging/id/050B.jpg

Traditional barbecued brisket is made from the whole brisket; to use the
point or flat alone is, IMHO, more difficult, because the meat is less
protected by the sheer mass of the whole packer-cut, and less protected
by the typical fat cap at least 1/2" thick which covers the whole thing.

BOB

Seattlejo wrote:
> So what are you paying for Brisket these days? Suggestion where I can
> find some decently priced? Locally I'm seeing it at 3.99 a lb and am
> wondering if thats a fair price or if I should be looking for something
> cheaper. (I'm in Seattle)
>
> Seattlejo

Local BJ's *FINALLY* had packer cuts (said it was a mistake, and probably
wouldn't be getting any more unless these went fast) for $1.39 USD per#. I
bought (about) 12 pounders. That's half of the case, gone pretty fast. I just
*might* go back for more Monday.

BOB
Orlando

BOB

BOB wrote:
> Seattlejo wrote:
>> So what are you paying for Brisket these days? Suggestion where I can
>> find some decently priced? Locally I'm seeing it at 3.99 a lb and am
>> wondering if thats a fair price or if I should be looking for something
>> cheaper. (I'm in Seattle)
>>
>> Seattlejo

> Local BJ's *FINALLY* had packer cuts (said it was a mistake, and probably
> wouldn't be getting any more unless these went fast) for $1.39 USD per#. I
> bought (about) 12 pounders. That's half of the case, gone pretty fast. I

just
> *might* go back for more Monday.
>
> BOB
> Orlando

That should read "I bought SIX (about) 12 pounders." Meaning the 6 were between
10 and 14 #'s each.

BOB

M&M

On 26-Jun-2004, "Seattlejo" > wrote:

> So what are you paying for Brisket these days? Suggestion where I can
> find some decently priced? Locally I'm seeing it at 3.99 a lb and am
> wondering if thats a fair price or if I should be looking for something
> cheaper. (I'm in Seattle)
>
> Seattlejo

Wally World here in Tampa is selling packer cuts for $1.47/lb. I posted
picks of one a week or so ago on ABF. Thought I'd posted a pic of the
label, but alas not so.
--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

frohe

M&M wrote:
> Wally World here in Tampa is selling packer cuts for $1.47/lb. I
> posted picks of one a week or so ago on ABF. Thought I'd posted a

pic
> of the label, but alas not so.

That's about the average price around here too (central Texas). Time
to be grabbin up what you want for July 4th before the stores start
jackin up the prices.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

bbq

Seattlejo wrote:

> So what are you paying for Brisket these days? Suggestion where I can
> find some decently priced? Locally I'm seeing it at 3.99 a lb and am
> wondering if thats a fair price or if I should be looking for something
> cheaper. (I'm in Seattle)
>
> Seattlejo

Brisket prices are all over the map across the U.S. I have heard as
cheap as 1.50 in Texas and I just paid 3.69/lb for a 5.5 lb. piece the
other day.

Not sure if 3.99 is a fair price in the Seattle area. I'm in the twin
cities. I called around and had difficult time even locating a meat
market that sold brisket. My regular grocery store recently had some
flats, but the numskulls trimmed all the fat off. You need some fat to
cook with.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

CSS

I would suggest you try Cash and Carry, which is a restaurant supply store.
Here in San Jose, they have full packer-cut select briskets usually for less
that $1.50/lb. I've never noticed a difference between select and choice.
Here is a URL for store locations in Seattle:
http://www.smartandfinal.com/store_l...ype=2&state=wa

"Seattlejo" > wrote in message
> So what are you paying for Brisket these days? Suggestion where I can
> find some decently priced? Locally I'm seeing it at 3.99 a lb and am
> wondering if thats a fair price or if I should be looking for something
> cheaper. (I'm in Seattle)
>
> Seattlejo

Douglas Barber

Steve Wertz wrote:
> Yep. Most of what I've seen lately are labeled "Choice or
> Better". I'm not convinced it makes that much a difference in a
> brisket, though.

Branded brisket like Certified Angus Beef (CAB) shows up sometimes too
at a fair price. Certainly won't be any meaningful marbling in the flat,
so that's not the issue. I wonder if the presence of more marbling in a
carcass as a whole, causing it to be graded "choice" rather than select,
is partly an indication that the animal wasn't much exercised, and that
could possibly afffect the brisket, marbling aside. A hobbyist or as
they say "gentleman" rancher I knew in Bend, OR employed various
irrigation and fencing schemes to encourage his cattle to be as lazy as
possible...

If I have select and choice (or branded) brisket available and the price
difference per lb is less than, say, 25 cents, I go for the higher grade
or branded product just because hope springs eternal...Much more of a
price diff. than that, my skepticism and limited means weigh in....in
any case, so far, I just refuse to go over $1.50/lb for packer cut...

Someone who cooks these things for a living - whatever happened to Danny
Gaulden, his web page www.dannysbbq.com was dismembered for repairs a
few years back and hasn't been patched up since, and he's gone silent? -
could prolly teach us something on this matter of whether or not a
higher grade of brisket normally makes better barbecue.

Jesse Skeens

" BOB" > wrote in message >...
> BOB wrote:
> > Seattlejo wrote:
> >> So what are you paying for Brisket these days? Suggestion where I can
> >> find some decently priced? Locally I'm seeing it at 3.99 a lb and am
> >> wondering if thats a fair price or if I should be looking for something
> >> cheaper. (I'm in Seattle)
> >>
> >> Seattlejo

> > Local BJ's *FINALLY* had packer cuts (said it was a mistake, and probably
> > wouldn't be getting any more unless these went fast) for $1.39 USD per#. I
> > bought (about) 12 pounders. That's half of the case, gone pretty fast. I

> just
> > *might* go back for more Monday.
> >
> > BOB
> > Orlando

> That should read "I bought SIX (about) 12 pounders." Meaning the 6 were between
> 10 and 14 #'s each.
>
> BOB

Bob,

Hey where is BJ's? I think we talked about local meat sources
before but I don't remember.

Jesse

Dave Bugg

Douglas Barber wrote:

> Need to know whether this price is for a whole brisket
> (packer-cut,flat and point in one hunk), in which case it is a
> sky-high price, or whether it is for a flat (in which case it's a
> typical price) or a point.

The pictures are a nice touch and helpful for beginners, Doug. Seattlejo,
try to find a meat market or butcher shop. The "Packer Cut" is also known
to most butchers as "Brisket 120", which is the IMPS (Institutional Meat
Purchase Specification) for that cut. I learned quickly that a lot of
butchers and grocers in Washington State have no clue what a "packer cut"
is, but they do know what brisket 120 is. In my experience, you'll find
better pricing at meat market here in the northwest, than at most retail
grocers.
Dave

T. L. Hicks

> Hey where is BJ's? I think we talked about local meat sources
> before but I don't remember.
>
> Jesse

It's an east coast warehouse club. Similar to Sam's, or Costco.

T. L. Hicks

BOB

Jesse Skeens wrote:
> " BOB" > wrote in message
>> BOB wrote:

>>> Local BJ's *FINALLY* had packer cuts (said it was a mistake, and probably
>>> wouldn't be getting any more unless these went fast) for $1.39 USD per#. I
>>> bought (about) 12 pounders. That's half of the case, gone pretty fast. I

>> just
>>> *might* go back for more Monday.
>>>
>>> BOB
>>> Orlando

>> That should read "I bought SIX (about) 12 pounders." Meaning the 6 were
>> between 10 and 14 #'s each.
>>
>> BOB

> Bob,
>
> Hey where is BJ's? I think we talked about local meat sources
> before but I don't remember.
>
> Jesse

Lake Underhill Road, just East of Alafaya Trail. It's a warehouse club, like
Sam's and Costco.

BOB
who is still looking for a butcher in the Orlando area

Seattlejo

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Douglas Barber wrote:
>

>>Need to know whether this price is for a whole brisket
>>(packer-cut,flat and point in one hunk), in which case it is a
>>sky-high price, or whether it is for a flat (in which case it's a
>>typical price) or a point.

> The pictures are a nice touch and helpful for beginners, Doug. Seattlejo,
> try to find a meat market or butcher shop. The "Packer Cut" is also known
> to most butchers as "Brisket 120", which is the IMPS (Institutional Meat
> Purchase Specification) for that cut. I learned quickly that a lot of
> butchers and grocers in Washington State have no clue what a "packer cut"
> is, but they do know what brisket 120 is. In my experience, you'll find
> better pricing at meat market here in the northwest, than at most retail
> grocers.
> Dave

Thank you all! Specifically Dave, Doug and CSS for the help. I now have
a better idea of what I'm looking for and where to find it. I've done
a couple of pork shoulders in my smoker to some success, now its time to
try Brisket. Its the last season on my current grill, and if I want to
shell out for a Kamodo, I need to prove to the family that I'll actually
use it.

Thanks again all!
Seattlejo
Tyler Hopper

"Seattlejo" > wrote in message
> So what are you paying for Brisket these days? Suggestion where I can
> find some decently priced? Locally I'm seeing it at 3.99 a lb and am
> wondering if thats a fair price or if I should be looking for something
> cheaper. (I'm in Seattle)
>
> Seattlejo

This is just plain and simple rape. I refuse to pay over $1.39/lb. and can often
get it for <$1

_________
ht_redneck

Tyler Hopper

"FH" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:58:41 -0500, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:
>
> >hopefully. they've
> >got the pre-smoked briskets on sale this week - which are really
> >pretty good for $3/lb

> Wow! You are a braver man than I, Sir. So... those pre-done ones are
> actually OK?!! I might just give one a try. Price per pound might even
> out and mebby I can figger a way to make it mo betta. Maybe heat up on
> the pit with some kinda Apple wood . ...or in some foil with some
> kinda secret sace, huh? Somthing along those lines. You ever tried
> anything like that with one of those things?

Their pre-cooked is generally pretty good. There's a high variability in the fat
cap. But they do have a decent taste.

Given the salty taste I suspect they're heavily brined.

_________
ht_redneck

Tyler Hopper

"FH" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:58:41 -0500, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:
>
> >hopefully. they've
> >got the pre-smoked briskets on sale this week - which are really
> >pretty good for $3/lb

> Wow! You are a braver man than I, Sir. So... those pre-done ones are
> actually OK?!! I might just give one a try. Price per pound might even
> out and mebby I can figger a way to make it mo betta. Maybe heat up on
> the pit with some kinda Apple wood . ...or in some foil with some
> kinda secret sace, huh? Somthing along those lines. You ever tried
> anything like that with one of those things?

P.S. - You really can't do much more with one than to wrap it in foil and heat
in the oven about and hr. Unless of course you want it to look like you pulled
it right off your smoker.

Tyler Hopper

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 00:30:05 -0500, FH > wrote:
>
> They are excellent briskets - even Cuch and a few others here
> agree. Better than a lot of the people here (myself included) can
> do at home. They dry out quickly once opened, so just cut off the
> size chunk you'll need, wrap in foil and heat it in the oven
> (shrink wrap whatevers left). There's plenty of smoke in those
> things already - no need to fire up the grill/pit.
>
> Note that they have hickory and mesquite versions - read the
> labels carefully. Go for the Cajun-rubbed, and never the
> pre-sliced.
>
> A great deal considering many people can't even find raw briskets
> for less then $3/lb.
>
> -sw

They also sell a "Texas Size" which is generally ~ $.20/lb cheaper.

Caiman

Seattlejo wrote:
> So what are you paying for Brisket these days? Suggestion where I can
> find some decently priced? Locally I'm seeing it at 3.99 a lb and am
> wondering if thats a fair price or if I should be looking for something
> cheaper. (I'm in Seattle)
>
> Seattlejo

Packer's cut @ $1.29/lb at Smart & Final in So. Calif.

C.
Dick Wiegand

Default Cost of Brisket? (in Portland OR)

Seattlejo wrote:

> So what are you paying for Brisket these days? Suggestion where I can
> find some decently priced? Locally I'm seeing it at 3.99 a lb and am
> wondering if thats a fair price or if I should be looking for something
> cheaper. (I'm in Seattle)
>
> Seattlejo

Cost at Albertsons here is running 1.49# for packers cut.

This 4th of July, I'm doing 180#'s of brisket for our neighborhood. Cost
from wholesale source is 1.18/# for 60# box.

Figure I'll get about 330 nice sandwiches for the masses. Using a Traeger
rental unit w/hickory pellets.

Dick

Dave Bugg

Dick Wiegand wrote:

> Cost at Albertsons here is running 1.49# for packers cut.
>
> This 4th of July, I'm doing 180#'s of brisket for our neighborhood.
> Cost from wholesale source is 1.18/# for 60# box.
>
> Figure I'll get about 330 nice sandwiches for the masses. Using a
> Traeger rental unit w/hickory pellets.

How much shrinkage are you calculating, Dick?

Dick Wiegand

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Dick Wiegand wrote:
>
> > Cost at Albertsons here is running 1.49# for packers cut.
> >
> > This 4th of July, I'm doing 180#'s of brisket for our neighborhood.
> > Cost from wholesale source is 1.18/# for 60# box.
> >
> > Figure I'll get about 330 nice sandwiches for the masses. Using a
> > Traeger rental unit w/hickory pellets.

> How much shrinkage are you calculating, Dick?

Dave:

Shrinkage about 30%, plus another 10% for trim.

Dick

BOB

Seattlejo wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>
>> Douglas Barber wrote:
>>

>>> Need to know whether this price is for a whole brisket
>>> (packer-cut,flat and point in one hunk), in which case it is a
>>> sky-high price, or whether it is for a flat (in which case it's a
>>> typical price) or a point.

>> The pictures are a nice touch and helpful for beginners, Doug. Seattlejo,
>> try to find a meat market or butcher shop. The "Packer Cut" is also known
>> to most butchers as "Brisket 120", which is the IMPS (Institutional Meat
>> Purchase Specification) for that cut. I learned quickly that a lot of
>> butchers and grocers in Washington State have no clue what a "packer cut"
>> is, but they do know what brisket 120 is. In my experience, you'll find
>> better pricing at meat market here in the northwest, than at most retail
>> grocers.
>> Dave
>>

> Thank you all! Specifically Dave, Doug and CSS for the help. I now have
> a better idea of what I'm looking for and where to find it. I've done
> a couple of pork shoulders in my smoker to some success, now its time to
> try Brisket. Its the last season on my current grill, and if I want to
> shell out for a Kamodo, I need to prove to the family that I'll actually
> use it.
>
> Thanks again all!
> Seattlejo

If you can, (have 2 cooking levels) barbecue a pork butt or shoulder *OVER* the
brisket. The pork will baste the brisket and everyone will love the results
from both.

BOB
keep saving, you'll get there...

Dave Bugg

Dick Wiegand wrote:

> Dave:
>
> Shrinkage about 30%, plus another 10% for trim.

Sounds about right to me. That's going to be one fine block party :-)

BOB

Dick Wiegand wrote:
> Seattlejo wrote:
>
>> So what are you paying for Brisket these days? Suggestion where I can
>> find some decently priced? Locally I'm seeing it at 3.99 a lb and am
>> wondering if thats a fair price or if I should be looking for something
>> cheaper. (I'm in Seattle)
>>
>> Seattlejo

> Cost at Albertsons here is running 1.49# for packers cut.
>
> This 4th of July, I'm doing 180#'s of brisket for our neighborhood. Cost
> from wholesale source is 1.18/# for 60# box.
>
> Figure I'll get about 330 nice sandwiches for the masses. Using a Traeger
> rental unit w/hickory pellets.
>
> Dick

WHERE? We'll all be over. Better double that amount for this crowd!

BOB

Dick Wiegand

FH wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 13:25:32 -0700, "Dave Bugg"
> <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote:
>
> >Dick Wiegand wrote:
> >
> >> Cost at Albertsons here is running 1.49# for packers cut.
> >>
> >> This 4th of July, I'm doing 180#'s of brisket for our neighborhood.
> >> Cost from wholesale source is 1.18/# for 60# box.
> >>
> >> Figure I'll get about 330 nice sandwiches for the masses. Using a
> >> Traeger rental unit w/hickory pellets.

> >How much shrinkage are you calculating, Dick?
> >

> I don't know dick but I'll comment anyway. I usually figure about 40%
> shrinkage. That would leave 108 pounds of finished product.
>
> If he made 1/3 pound sandwiches he'd get 324 of them.
>
> I'd make as many slices as I could fom the flats and put the rest back
> on the smoker for a bit. More shrinkage. Then make chopped out of the
> burnt ends.
>
> I'd figure feeding about 300 to be safe.

Thanks for you comments, they are appreciated. A little about the
"Schooner Creek BBQ Club"
(friends and family).

We've been serving 4th of July lunch for 10 years in our neighborhood,
and just try to cover our costs. In addition to a minimum of 250 bbq
"something" we do about 300-500 hotdogs.

I've done brisket about 4 times in prior years on (3) NB offsets, which
limited us to 9 briskets. The last two years were tri-tips (about 85)
vacuum marinated in burgundy wine/prime rib seasoning mix, then tumbled
to tenderize, again on Traeger. We are now all too old to tend fires for
12 hours, then serve, and clean up and still stay awake for our
fireworks.

Have spit, did 150# hogs twice, over mesquite charcoal (had no hair on
our arms after that). Hogs in the NW are not necessarily politically
correct. Had a year where we did local made sausages w/onions, green
peppers (wife won't slice 50# on onions again).

We serve potato salad, pickles, and chips for $3.50, $1.50 for dogs,
chips & pickle.

Some of the craziness I've encountered over the years:

Had someone complain once that he could eat at MickyD's for less. (I
think he was the same guy that put catsup, mustard and pickle relish on
his brisket!)

A Vegan came up and asked if we would BBQ garden burgers next year, and
make sure if we did (yeah right) use a BBQ that never had meat on it. I
told her she could come up and sell all she wanted, but stay away from
use - we didn't want to get sick on the odor.

Dick

Dick

Dick Wiegand

FH wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 13:25:32 -0700, "Dave Bugg"
> <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote:
>
> >Dick Wiegand wrote:
> >
> >> Cost at Albertsons here is running 1.49# for packers cut.
> >>
> >> This 4th of July, I'm doing 180#'s of brisket for our neighborhood.
> >> Cost from wholesale source is 1.18/# for 60# box.
> >>
> >> Figure I'll get about 330 nice sandwiches for the masses. Using a
> >> Traeger rental unit w/hickory pellets.

> >How much shrinkage are you calculating, Dick?
> >

> I don't know dick but I'll comment anyway. I usually figure about 40%
> shrinkage. That would leave 108 pounds of finished product.
>
> If he made 1/3 pound sandwiches he'd get 324 of them.
>
> I'd make as many slices as I could fom the flats and put the rest back
> on the smoker for a bit. More shrinkage. Then make chopped out of the
> burnt ends.
>
> I'd figure feeding about 300 to be safe.

Thanks for you comments, they are appreciated. A little about the
"Schooner Creek BBQ Club"
(friends and family).

We've been serving 4th of July lunch for 10 years in our neighborhood,
and just try to cover our costs. In addition to a minimum of 250 bbq
"something" we do about 300-500 hotdogs.

I've done brisket about 4 times in prior years on (3) NB offsets, which
limited us to 9 briskets. The last two years were tri-tips (about 85)
vacuum marinated in burgundy wine/prime rib seasoning mix, then tumbled
to tenderize, again on Traeger. We are now all too old to tend fires for
12 hours, then serve, and clean up and still stay awake for our
fireworks.

Have spit, did 150# hogs twice, over mesquite charcoal (had no hair on
our arms after that). Hogs in the NW are not necessarily politically
correct. Had a year where we did local made sausages w/onions, green
peppers (wife won't slice 50# on onions again).

We serve potato salad, pickles, and chips for $3.50, $1.50 for dogs,
chips & pickle.

Some of the craziness I've encountered over the years:

Had someone complain once that he could eat at MickyD's for less. (I
think he was the same guy that put catsup, mustard and pickle relish on
his brisket!)

A Vegan came up and asked if we would BBQ garden burgers next year, and
make sure if we did (yeah right) use a BBQ that never had meat on it. I
told her she could come up and sell all she wanted, but stay away from
use - we didn't want to get sick on the odor.

Dick

Douglas Barber

Dick Wiegand wrote:
> Hogs in the NW are not necessarily politically
> correct.

Both Darwin, and whoever said that people and their pets start
resembling each other, offer possible explanations of this phenomenon.

Tyler Hopper

"Dick Wiegand" > wrote in message

> A Vegan came up and asked if we would BBQ garden burgers next year, and
> make sure if we did (yeah right) use a BBQ that never had meat on it. I
> told her she could come up and sell all she wanted, but stay away from
> use - we didn't want to get sick on the odor.

Yeah, every yr. at NIOSA we run a fried mushroom booth. Inevitably a tofu head
will cross examine me if these are truly vegan, what kind of fry oil, what's in
the batter, etc.

This year I decided I'd had enough and told this gal it was all vegan except the
horse shit they're grown in. Needless to say I lost a customer.

_________
ht_redneck

Lewzephyr

On 26 Jun 2004 20:45:11 -0700, I needed a babel fish to understand
"Seattlejo" > :

>So what are you paying for Brisket these days? Suggestion where I can
>find some decently priced? Locally I'm seeing it at 3.99 a lb and am
>wondering if thats a fair price or if I should be looking for something
>cheaper. (I'm in Seattle)
>
>Seattlejo

just did 1.19 at costco here in Houston... thats for full Brisket
(packer cut).
cheaper than walmart, whic is round 1.50 - 2.00 normaly.

John O

> just did 1.19 at costco here in Houston... thats for full Brisket
> (packer cut).
> cheaper than walmart, whic is round 1.50 - 2.00 normaly.

Does your Walmart carry Select or Choice briskets? I smoked a couple of the
selects, and I was underwhelmed...they were pretty dry, well before they
were tender. Would Choice be much better?

-John O

Tyler Hopper

"Lewzephyr" > wrote in message
> On 26 Jun 2004 20:45:11 -0700, I needed a babel fish to understand
> "Seattlejo" > :
>
> >So what are you paying for Brisket these days? Suggestion where I can
> >find some decently priced? Locally I'm seeing it at 3.99 a lb and am
> >wondering if thats a fair price or if I should be looking for something
> >cheaper. (I'm in Seattle)
> >
> >Seattlejo

> just did 1.19 at costco here in Houston... thats for full Brisket
> (packer cut).
> cheaper than walmart, whic is round 1.50 - 2.00 normaly.

HEB has them in S.A. for $.97/lb. this week.

Jack Sloan

"Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message

> "Lewzephyr" > wrote in message
> > On 26 Jun 2004 20:45:11 -0700, I needed a babel fish to understand
> > "Seattlejo" > :
> >
> > >So what are you paying for Brisket these days? Suggestion where I can
> > >find some decently priced? Locally I'm seeing it at 3.99 a lb and am
> > >wondering if thats a fair price or if I should be looking for something
> > >cheaper. (I'm in Seattle)
> > >
> > >Seattlejo

> > just did 1.19 at costco here in Houston... thats for full Brisket
> > (packer cut).
> > cheaper than walmart, whic is round 1.50 - 2.00 normaly.

> HEB has them in S.A. for $.97/lb. this week.

HEB in Houston this week....69 with additional $10 purchase.
Jack

Seattlejo

Tyler Hopper wrote:
> Yeah, every yr. at NIOSA we run a fried mushroom booth. Inevitably a tofu head
> will cross examine me if these are truly vegan, what kind of fry oil, what's in
> the batter, etc.
>
> This year I decided I'd had enough and told this gal it was all vegan except the
> horse shit they're grown in. Needless to say I lost a customer.
>
> _________
> ht_redneck

See and I've always wanted to go into one of these chain burger places,
ask them how vegan their burgers are, the buns, the vegan patties,
everthing.

Then ask them to put bacon on my veggie burger.
seattlejo

L. Cook

"FH" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:58:41 -0500, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:
>
> >hopefully. they've
> >got the pre-smoked briskets on sale this week - which are really
> >pretty good for $3/lb

> Wow! You are a braver man than I, Sir. So... those pre-done ones are
> actually OK?!! I might just give one a try. Price per pound might even
> out and mebby I can figger a way to make it mo betta. Maybe heat up on
> the pit with some kinda Apple wood . ...or in some foil with some
> kinda secret sace, huh? Somthing along those lines. You ever tried
> anything like that with one of those things?

Apple wood is very good, and here is something else I picked up. Try
soaking your chips in apple juice. I tried that this weekend with five
large racks of pork and four racks of beef ribs. Turned out pretty well.