How long can I leave a dry rub on?

Old 12-06-2004, 06:20 AM
Dirty Harry
Usenet poster

Default How long can I leave a dry rub on?

Most of what I've seen seems to suggest around 2 hours...can I leave it
on for 24 hrs? Pork ribs...
Thanks DH

Old 12-06-2004, 06:30 AM
F.G. Whitfurrows
Usenet poster

"Dirty Harry" wrote in message
Most of what I've seen seems to suggest around 2 hours...can I leave

it
on for 24 hrs? Pork ribs...

Please do. Rub the ribs, wrap em tightly in plastic wrap, and stick em in
the fridge. Remember to let em warm to room temp 'fore ya cook em.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

The best minds are not in government. If any were, business would hire them
away.
Ronald Reagan

Old 12-06-2004, 11:19 AM
Ricky
Usenet poster

"Dirty Harry" wrote in message
Most of what I've seen seems to suggest around 2 hours...can I leave

it
on for 24 hrs? Pork ribs...
Thanks DH

You can leave the rub on longer than 2 hours but you will not get any
noticeable change in taste.

Old 12-06-2004, 02:44 PM
M&M
Usenet poster

On 12-Jun-2004, "Dirty Harry" wrote:

Most of what I've seen seems to suggest around 2 hours...can I leave it
on for 24 hrs? Pork ribs...
Thanks DH

I do mine for 2 days. Check pics on ABF. YMMV.

--
M&M, AKA Brick("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Old 12-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Duwop
Usenet poster

M&M wrote:
On 12-Jun-2004, "Dirty Harry" wrote:

Most of what I've seen seems to suggest around 2 hours...can I
leave it on for 24 hrs? Pork ribs...
Thanks DH

I do mine for 2 days. Check pics on ABF. YMMV.

If you've read the FAQ, you'd know there's descriptions of overnight, etc.
Not trying to be sarcastic, the FAQ is a great resource, it's fun to read
and has a TON of info.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:37 PM
Henry D
Usenet poster

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 06:19:39 -0400, "Ricky"
wrote:

"Dirty Harry" wrote in message
Most of what I've seen seems to suggest around 2 hours...can I leave

it
on for 24 hrs? Pork ribs...
Thanks DH

You can leave the rub on longer than 2 hours but you will not get any
noticeable change in taste.

Would adding rub to the meat, sealing it with a foodsaver, and then
freezing it for a future cook (for a few weeks maybe) cause any
problems?

Regards,

Henry D. ---------

Anti-Spam measure in place. To reply, remove "spamfree".
Old 12-06-2004, 09:59 PM
Ricky
Usenet poster

"Henry D" wrote
Would adding rub to the meat, sealing it with a foodsaver, and then
freezing it for a future cook (for a few weeks maybe) cause any
problems?

No. But as soon as the meat begins to freeze it will stop taking on any
flavor.

Old 13-06-2004, 01:16 AM
Henry D
Usenet poster

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 16:59:08 -0400, "Ricky"
wrote:

"Henry D" wrote
Would adding rub to the meat, sealing it with a foodsaver, and then
freezing it for a future cook (for a few weeks maybe) cause any
problems?

No. But as soon as the meat begins to freeze it will stop taking on any
flavor.

How about during the thawing process? Does the meat begin to reabsorb
the flavor as it thaws?

Old 13-06-2004, 01:26 AM
Dirty Harry
Usenet poster

"Dirty Harry" wrote in message
Most of what I've seen seems to suggest around 2 hours...can I leave

it
on for 24 hrs? Pork ribs...
Thanks DH

Ok so I saw that good eats show where he makes the smoker today. Acording
to to him it doesn't matter how long your leave the rub on cause your
cooking the meat for so long. And I am sooo making that clay pot
smoker...I'm a cheapass student on a budget but I think I can make one for
less then 50 bucks if I get a used hotplate. Thanks for the info.

Old 13-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Dana Myers
Usenet poster

Duwop wrote:

If you've read the FAQ, you'd know there's descriptions of overnight, etc.
Not trying to be sarcastic, the FAQ is a great resource, it's fun to read
and has a TON of info.

What Dale says. The FAQ is totally worthwhile; several times
I've had friends ask how to get started beyond grillin' and I've
given them the FAQ URL. Every one of them has later said "that's
*amazing*!" about the FAQ.

Dana

Old 13-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Ricky
Usenet poster

"Henry D" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 16:59:08 -0400, "Ricky"
wrote:

"Henry D" wrote
Would adding rub to the meat, sealing it with a foodsaver, and then
freezing it for a future cook (for a few weeks maybe) cause any
problems?

No. But as soon as the meat begins to freeze it will stop taking on any
flavor.

How about during the thawing process? Does the meat begin to reabsorb
the flavor as it thaws?

Not enough to make a difference. The dead cells of a piece of meat will only
absorb a small amount of flavor from a dry or wet rub. I've tried this
experiment dozens of times. Take 6 racks of ribs. Put your dry rub on 2
racks 24 hours before you are going to cook them. Do 2 more racks at 12
hours and the last 2 racks 1 hour before they go in the cooker. Make sure
you mark the racks so you'll know which is which. Get 12 friends and family
to taste the finish product and see if anyone can tell which are which.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Myers View Post
Duwop wrote:

If you've read the FAQ, you'd know there's descriptions of overnight, etc.
Not trying to be sarcastic, the FAQ is a great resource, it's fun to read
and has a TON of info.

What Dale says. The FAQ is totally worthwhile; several times
I've had friends ask how to get started beyond grillin' and I've
given them the FAQ URL. Every one of them has later said "that's
*amazing*!" about the FAQ.

Dana

Sorry to have to clutter this post but I cannot find the FAQ on the foodbanter site. Could someone please post it? Thanks.