Eric

Default Old Charmglow Grill

Hello all,

I've just moved into a house that has an old Charmglow Grill (HED-1
Party Host) mounted to a permanent post. It's natural gas.

From googling I now know this is a classic old grill that used to be a
standard (or perhaps the only thing available). My question is this, is
this grill worth restoring? It seems like it only needs a new burner
and venturi, plus maybe a new knob, handle, some cleaning and possibly
paint. The regulator and block seem okay, but what do I know, they may
need replacement also. I can get a total redo kit for about $170 but it
might cost less if I don't need everything. I did notice a site selling
a redone full grill (on wheels rather than post) for $975
(http://tinyurl.com/28qbc).

I wonder if anyone can tell me how the old Charmglow (once restored)
compares to the modern natural gas equivalent? It seems $170 for a nat
gas grill, if it works well, beats out buying a new one for $600 or more.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

--Eric

P.S. - I intend to use this grill for weekday summer cooking. On
weekends when I will have more time I will usually stick to my charcoal
weber kettle.
Yip Yap

Eric > wrote in message >...
> Hello all,
>
> I've just moved into a house that has an old Charmglow Grill (HED-1
> Party Host) mounted to a permanent post. It's natural gas.
>
> From googling I now know this is a classic old grill that used to be a
> standard (or perhaps the only thing available). My question is this, is
> this grill worth restoring? It seems like it only needs a new burner
> and venturi, plus maybe a new knob, handle, some cleaning and possibly
> paint. The regulator and block seem okay, but what do I know, they may
> need replacement also. I can get a total redo kit for about $170 but it
> might cost less if I don't need everything. I did notice a site selling
> a redone full grill (on wheels rather than post) for $975
> (http://tinyurl.com/28qbc).
>
> I wonder if anyone can tell me how the old Charmglow (once restored)
> compares to the modern natural gas equivalent? It seems $170 for a nat
> gas grill, if it works well, beats out buying a new one for $600 or more.

You are very lucky to already have a natural gas line in place.
Would it be possible to connect a different grill to this
gas line?

If you are willing to spend that much on repairs, you should
consider spending $400 to replace the whole thing with a new
natural gas Weber. The Weber does a very fine job of cooking,
and I seriously doubt that your refurbished Charmglow will be
able to beat it.

-- Yip
Eric

Yip Yap wrote:

> You are very lucky to already have a natural gas line in place.
> Would it be possible to connect a different grill to this
> gas line?
>
> If you are willing to spend that much on repairs, you should
> consider spending $400 to replace the whole thing with a new
> natural gas Weber. The Weber does a very fine job of cooking,
> and I seriously doubt that your refurbished Charmglow will be
> able to beat it.
>
> -- Yip

Hi Yip,

Thanks for the reply. I had not been aware of the $400 Weber (I had
thought they started at $550/$600) so I'm glad you pointed this out.

If it is going to take the full $170 to fix I might look at the Weber.
Hopefully though it will take about $50, I'll just have to investigate
each part more fully.

Yes, I'm very lucky to have the gas line in place. I think it would be
possible to connect another grill to the line -- it would probably
involve removing the post and installing some sort of plug-in valve for
the Weber's hose.

I'll continue to weight my options, but am now glad to have another
option to consider. I've got an email into the people selling the
replacement parts for their opinion (I can probably predict what it
might be), but in the meantime I might go do some looking at grills.

Best,
Eric

Electric grill that makes convincing grill marks? Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward Cooking Equipment 1 07-01-2006 03:59 PM
Charmglow Gas Grill EZ Barbecue 3 07-09-2005 04:20 PM
George Forman grill vs. Panini grill Gary Cooking Equipment 7 18-01-2005 04:34 PM
Grill kaput, 35 guests next Friday, Need grill under $300 - HELP! webfoot Barbecue 13 31-05-2004 05:18 AM