Rue The Day

Default Do rubs need salt and sugar?

It seems like the majority of rub recipes I see in BBQ books on on the
internet have ungodly amounts of salt and sugar in them - as in a
quarter cup of each versus teaspoon and tablespoon quantities of
spices. I'm not a big fan of sugar in rubs because it burns. Salt, I
like to add some but not too much or the meat comes out salty. So is
it ok to make a rub with no sugar and only a minimal amount of salt?
The other thing I'm not crazy about is rubs with a lot of chilli
powder and cumin. It makes the meat taste like a bowl of chili in my
opinion. I tend to use garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper,
cayenne pepper, mustard powder, paprika, and sometimes celery seeds.
Any other spices I should be looking at? Thanks.
Reg

Rue The Day wrote:

> It seems like the majority of rub recipes I see in BBQ books on on the
> internet have ungodly amounts of salt and sugar in them - as in a
> quarter cup of each versus teaspoon and tablespoon quantities of
> spices. I'm not a big fan of sugar in rubs because it burns. Salt, I
> like to add some but not too much or the meat comes out salty. So is
> it ok to make a rub with no sugar and only a minimal amount of salt?
> The other thing I'm not crazy about is rubs with a lot of chilli
> powder and cumin. It makes the meat taste like a bowl of chili in my
> opinion. I tend to use garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper,
> cayenne pepper, mustard powder, paprika, and sometimes celery seeds.
> Any other spices I should be looking at? Thanks.

I make rubs using different "base" recipes that I can add other ingredients to
and use for specific dishes and cuts of meat. I put very little salt and
sugar in the base recipes.

I add it in later if needed. When making a dry rub for say, beef, I won't add
any extra sugar. For pork butt I'll add a bunch of brown sugar. Etc, etc.

Then there's the issue of serving people on salt or carb restricted diets.
All these issues means it's easier for me to leave salt and sugar out
until the last minute.

BOB

Rue The Day wrote:
> It seems like the majority of rub recipes I see in BBQ books on on the
> internet have ungodly amounts of salt and sugar in them - as in a
> quarter cup of each versus teaspoon and tablespoon quantities of
> spices. I'm not a big fan of sugar in rubs because it burns. Salt, I
> like to add some but not too much or the meat comes out salty. So is
> it ok to make a rub with no sugar and only a minimal amount of salt?
> The other thing I'm not crazy about is rubs with a lot of chilli
> powder and cumin. It makes the meat taste like a bowl of chili in my
> opinion. I tend to use garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper,
> cayenne pepper, mustard powder, paprika, and sometimes celery seeds.
> Any other spices I should be looking at? Thanks.

IMO, rubs need *some* salt, or the cooked meat tastes like it is missing
*something*.

Sugar? I add it when I think it'll help the particular cook.

I don't usually add chilli (no matter how it's spelled) powder, but I will add
black pepper and sometimes cayenne to a particular rub.

Try granulated garlic instead of powder, I think you'll like the change.

When you make your own rubs, you can add or leave out anything that you feel
like, at any time.

BOB
who is sort of partial to the "Dizzy Pig" line of *commercially made* rubs
http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/

Louis Cohen

Get Paul Kirk's book _Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces_, which is as
much about rubs and spices as it is about sauces and marinades.

Sugar won't burn at low and slow BBQ temp, mostly.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Rue The Day" > wrote in message
om...
> It seems like the majority of rub recipes I see in BBQ books on on the
> internet have ungodly amounts of salt and sugar in them - as in a
> quarter cup of each versus teaspoon and tablespoon quantities of
> spices. I'm not a big fan of sugar in rubs because it burns. Salt, I
> like to add some but not too much or the meat comes out salty. So is
> it ok to make a rub with no sugar and only a minimal amount of salt?
> The other thing I'm not crazy about is rubs with a lot of chilli
> powder and cumin. It makes the meat taste like a bowl of chili in my
> opinion. I tend to use garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper,
> cayenne pepper, mustard powder, paprika, and sometimes celery seeds.
> Any other spices I should be looking at? Thanks.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Rue The Day" > wrote in message
om...
> It seems like the majority of rub recipes I see in BBQ books on on the
> internet have ungodly amounts of salt and sugar in them - as in a
> quarter cup of each versus teaspoon and tablespoon quantities of
> spices. I'm not a big fan of sugar in rubs because it burns. Salt, I
> like to add some but not too much or the meat comes out salty. So is
> it ok to make a rub with no sugar and only a minimal amount of salt?
> The other thing I'm not crazy about is rubs with a lot of chilli
> powder and cumin. It makes the meat taste like a bowl of chili in my
> opinion. I tend to use garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper,
> cayenne pepper, mustard powder, paprika, and sometimes celery seeds.
> Any other spices I should be looking at? Thanks.

Of course you don't need them. Most people use (or overuse) salt on all of
their meats and would think something important is missing. It is merely a
habit formed over many years. If you like it, use it, but if you
appreciated good taste of the meat itself, skip it.

Sugar is less likely to burn at the typical low temperatures in making bbq.
I use some brown sugar, garlic, and pepper on briskets. Just three
ingredients; simple, but effective, IMO.

I agree with the chili powder and cumin. A little is OK, but too much and
you have a cheap taco from Taco Bell. You need moderation.

TFM®

Rue The Day wrote:
> It seems like the majority of rub recipes I see in BBQ books on on the
> internet have ungodly amounts of salt and sugar in them - as in a
> quarter cup of each versus teaspoon and tablespoon quantities of
> spices. I'm not a big fan of sugar in rubs because it burns. Salt, I
> like to add some but not too much or the meat comes out salty. So is
> it ok to make a rub with no sugar and only a minimal amount of salt?

Hell yes!

> The other thing I'm not crazy about is rubs with a lot of chilli
> powder and cumin. It makes the meat taste like a bowl of chili in my
> opinion. I tend to use garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper,
> cayenne pepper, mustard powder, paprika, and sometimes celery seeds.
> Any other spices I should be looking at? Thanks.

My favorite rub is salt, pepper, garlic and MSG. I just sprinkle it on.

No need for sugar in anything. I don't have any in the house. Never used
it, never will.

TFM®

Monroe, of course...

In article >,
(Rue The Day) wrote:

> It seems like the majority of rub recipes I see in BBQ books on on the
> internet have ungodly amounts of salt and sugar in them - as in a
> quarter cup of each versus teaspoon and tablespoon quantities of
> spices. I'm not a big fan of sugar in rubs because it burns. Salt, I
> like to add some but not too much or the meat comes out salty. So is
> it ok to make a rub with no sugar and only a minimal amount of salt?
> The other thing I'm not crazy about is rubs with a lot of chilli
> powder and cumin. It makes the meat taste like a bowl of chili in my
> opinion. I tend to use garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper,
> cayenne pepper, mustard powder, paprika, and sometimes celery seeds.
> Any other spices I should be looking at? Thanks.

My answer is yes to both. Salt and sugar help in bark
formation-especially if they're applied well ahead of cooking time - a
dry marinade if you will.
Salt seems to help 'open up' the outer layer of the meat -dehydrating
and denaturing the proteins. I feel it helps smoke penetration and bark
forming.
Sugar also helps counteract any bitterness the smoke may leave on the
meat.
I make rubs fresh by the batch, for each individual session. Envision
how much total salt you want on the meat and match it with sugar in a
1:1 ratio. Hell you can even add your rub ingredients one at a time.
My rub for a pork butt will usually be 2T kosher salt, 2T dark brown
sugar, 2T red pepper or hot paprika, and whatever spices I think of at
the time.
Cumin is really easy to over do. So is Garlic powder. Less so onion
powder and mustard powder. Many spices won't show up after a decent
amount of smoking, no matter how much you shake em on.
Try cinnamon, cloves,nutmeg,ginger and/or allspice (all sparingly) on
pork.

monroe(measure things and keep a journal of what you like)
\Piedmont\

Rue The Day wrote:
> It seems like the majority of rub recipes I see in BBQ books on on the
> internet have ungodly amounts of salt and sugar in them - as in a

snip

Rubs should be made according to "your" tastes, adjust as you like.

--
"Piedmont", from Northern South Carolina!

IN REVERSE: MOC DOT OOHAY AT 4201LIWMW