Darren

Default Buying a new grill...Please Help.

Hi All,
I am buying a new grill and I would like it to be something a little better
than usual. I am not a "PRO" griller like some of you guys are here but I
can use some assistance on picking one out. I already went down to my local
Loews and saw a few that looked good. I saw a nice Stainless Steel
Char-Broil brand one that had 4 burners which I liked. It looked like it
was well built. That is pretty important in my selection. I am one of
those kind of people who get any kind of $150 grill and they never last.
This one was about $350. The only problem is that I don't know how it
cooks. On the other hand I saw a Weber for about $50 more. It had 3
burners. My father was with me and he said that Weber's are known for
better cooking. The problem with the Weber was that it did not seem well
built. Now I understand that it could not have been built by the rep in the
store properly and I took that into consideration. I just looked at the
craftsmanship of it and something did not seem "strong" about it. It seemed
to have a "cheap" look and feel. I wish I had the model number of both of
them here. Could it be that I was more impressed by the way the Stainless
Steel looked? Maybe you guys can suggest a well built and good grilling
quality grill in the $350 to $400 range. I really don't know where to start
and would appreciate some assistance from some of the "PROS" here. :-).

Thanks,
Darren

JakBQuik

"Darren" > wrote in message

> Maybe you guys can suggest a well built and good grilling
> quality grill in the $350 to $400 range. I really don't know where to

start
> and would appreciate some assistance from some of the "PROS" here. :-).
>
> Thanks,
> Darren

If you like wood or charcoal, there's a lot of good buzz about:
http://www.chargriller.com/, or, of course, a WSM.

If you like gas, which I think you do, I would use the BTUs of the burners
and the size of the cooking area for your purposes as the prime criteria for
comparison. That stainless sure is pretty, and, in the price range you
described is prolly standard in gas grills.

Thanking Vets again that I'm not writing this in German or Japanese!

John in Austin

Edwin Pawlowski

"Darren" > wrote in message
> It looked like it
> was well built. That is pretty important in my selection. I am one of
> those kind of people who get any kind of $150 grill and they never last.
> This one was about $350. The only problem is that I don't know how it
> cooks. On the other hand I saw a Weber for about $50 more. It had 3
> burners. My father was with me and he said that Weber's are known for
> better cooking.

Weber has a very good reputation. They sell through many retail outlets
such as home centers, hardware stores, etc. There are equal or better; some
of the best grills are sold through outdoor furniture places, propane
companies, etc. . Look for bands such as Broilmaster, Ellipse, MHP, Broil
King, the original Vermont Castings (VC-200 and VC 400) and you will get a
better made product. Choose the Features best for your intended use.

It will work better and last longer.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

jdoe

Don't be swayed by the pretty face. You won't go wrong with a weber. 10 or
more years from now with nothing more than minor care it and the company
that made it will still be here. The same can't be said for the chinese
companies that make the others. You'll also get cheerful and timely warranty
support instead of surly or inconsistent. Yeah they cost more but for good
reason.....their worth it.
Larry
"Darren" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
> I am buying a new grill and I would like it to be something a little

better
> than usual. I am not a "PRO" griller like some of you guys are here but I
> can use some assistance on picking one out. I already went down to my

local
> Loews and saw a few that looked good. I saw a nice Stainless Steel
> Char-Broil brand one that had 4 burners which I liked. It looked like it
> was well built. That is pretty important in my selection. I am one of
> those kind of people who get any kind of $150 grill and they never last.
> This one was about $350. The only problem is that I don't know how it
> cooks. On the other hand I saw a Weber for about $50 more. It had 3
> burners. My father was with me and he said that Weber's are known for
> better cooking. The problem with the Weber was that it did not seem well
> built. Now I understand that it could not have been built by the rep in

the
> store properly and I took that into consideration. I just looked at the
> craftsmanship of it and something did not seem "strong" about it. It

seemed
> to have a "cheap" look and feel. I wish I had the model number of both of
> them here. Could it be that I was more impressed by the way the Stainless
> Steel looked? Maybe you guys can suggest a well built and good grilling
> quality grill in the $350 to $400 range. I really don't know where to

start
> and would appreciate some assistance from some of the "PROS" here. :-).
>
> Thanks,
> Darren

smokie

"Darren" > wrote in message
[...]

I have never seen the Weber Silver B for less then 449.00, but it is worth
every penny. I have been down the road with Charbroil and other cheap
grills. Don't waste your money. One of the Weber's best features is being
able to clean out the bottom of the grill (it just slides out) since it
isn't a aluminum tub like most grills. The flavor bars really work to
prevent flare ups that are common on the lava rock grills and give you just
as much flavor and you don't have burnt meat. I have also looked at the
stainless made in China and didn't see any bargins. Good luck on your
selection and look down the road to see when you would be replacing it
again.

Smokie

Aria

Has anyone heard anything about the Coleman grills? I saw a nifty one that
had a deep fryer on the side. It looked nice but don't know much about the
brand.

"smokie" > wrote in message

> "Darren" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
> I am buying a new grill and I would like it to be something a little

better
> than usual. I am not a "PRO" griller like some of you guys are here but I
> can use some assistance on picking one out. I already went down to my

local
> Loews and saw a few that looked good. I saw a nice Stainless Steel
> Char-Broil brand one that had 4 burners which I liked. It looked like it
> was well built. That is pretty important in my selection. I am one of
> those kind of people who get any kind of $150 grill and they never last.
> This one was about $350. The only problem is that I don't know how it
> cooks. On the other hand I saw a Weber for about $50 more. It had 3
> burners. My father was with me and he said that Weber's are known for
> better cooking. The problem with the Weber was that it did not seem well
> built. Now I understand that it could not have been built by the rep in

the
> store properly and I took that into consideration. I just looked at the
> craftsmanship of it and something did not seem "strong" about it. It

seemed
> to have a "cheap" look and feel. I wish I had the model number of both of
> them here. Could it be that I was more impressed by the way the Stainless
> Steel looked? Maybe you guys can suggest a well built and good grilling
> quality grill in the $350 to $400 range. I really don't know where to

start
> and would appreciate some assistance from some of the "PROS" here. :-).
>
> Thanks,
> Darren
>
> I have never seen the Weber Silver B for less then 449.00, but it is worth
> every penny. I have been down the road with Charbroil and other cheap
> grills. Don't waste your money. One of the Weber's best features is

being
> able to clean out the bottom of the grill (it just slides out) since it
> isn't a aluminum tub like most grills. The flavor bars really work to
> prevent flare ups that are common on the lava rock grills and give you

just
> as much flavor and you don't have burnt meat. I have also looked at the
> stainless made in China and didn't see any bargins. Good luck on your
> selection and look down the road to see when you would be replacing it
> again.
>
> Smokie

Weber all the way, my father has had one for 15- 20 yrs no probs.
I think he has changed the flavor bars once
I've alwys been a charcoal guy, my weber kettle is 10yrs old.and prob still has another 10 to go.
my brinkman smoke' n pro is about 6 yrs( plan on getting rid of it for a wsm)
On saturday I broke down and picked up a weber genesis premium silver b $479.
This thing is sweet, I wish I had gotten one years ago.
Get the weber you won't regret it

Matthew L. Martin

Aria wrote:

> Has anyone heard anything about the Coleman grills? I saw a nifty one that
> had a deep fryer on the side. It looked nice but don't know much about the
> brand.

One of my gas grills is a Coleman. It's a rebranded Charbroil that,
other than the trim and badges, is identical to my Charbroil Precision
Flame 8000.

Matthew

--
If the war in Iraq was over oil, we lost.

Tyler Hopper

"Aria" > wrote in message
> Has anyone heard anything about the Coleman grills? I saw a nifty one that
> had a deep fryer on the side. It looked nice but don't know much about the
> brand.

A couple of Coleman grills were rated very highly in the 06/04 Consumer reports.
What model are you looking at?

_________
ht_redneck

BurbankTony

"Darren" > wrote in message >...
> Hi All,
> I am buying a new grill and I would like it to be something a little better
> than usual. I am not a "PRO" griller like some of you guys are here but I
> can use some assistance on picking one out. I already went down to my local
> Loews and saw a few that looked good. I saw a nice Stainless Steel
> Char-Broil brand one that had 4 burners which I liked. It looked like it
> was well built. That is pretty important in my selection. I am one of
> those kind of people who get any kind of $150 grill and they never last.
> This one was about $350. The only problem is that I don't know how it
> cooks. On the other hand I saw a Weber for about $50 more. It had 3
> burners. My father was with me and he said that Weber's are known for
> better cooking. The problem with the Weber was that it did not seem well
> built. Now I understand that it could not have been built by the rep in the
> store properly and I took that into consideration. I just looked at the
> craftsmanship of it and something did not seem "strong" about it. It seemed
> to have a "cheap" look and feel. I wish I had the model number of both of
> them here. Could it be that I was more impressed by the way the Stainless
> Steel looked? Maybe you guys can suggest a well built and good grilling
> quality grill in the $350 to $400 range. I really don't know where to start
> and would appreciate some assistance from some of the "PROS" here. :-).
>
> Thanks,
> Darren

Definitely go with the Weber Silver B. I've had mine for over 10 yrs.
and it preforms the same as the first time I tried it. I can go to any
distributer and buy every single part that is on this grill, down to
the little caps you put on the wheel axles. A great investment IMHO.

Burbank Tony

I am in shape. Round is a shape.

inmate 2339117

Go Weber dude. You won't regret it. If you get a Genesis Silver B, Home
Depot has them with upgraded (porcelein coated cast iron, I think)
cooking grates. They also used to have them with just plain cast iron (not
sure if they're still offering that), but I believe Lowes Silver B only
has porcelein coated sheet metal grate. Also, the change of the address
packet that the post office gives away for free used to contain 10% off
coupons for Home Depot and Lowes. Either place, that is $45 off. But I
believe HD is the only store with upgraded grates for the same price as
Lowes.

On Mon, 31 May 2004 18:54:44 +0000, Darren wrote:

> Hi All,
> I am buying a new grill and I would like it to be something a little better
> than usual. I am not a "PRO" griller like some of you guys are here but I
> can use some assistance on picking one out. I already went down to my local
> Loews and saw a few that looked good. I saw a nice Stainless Steel
> Char-Broil brand one that had 4 burners which I liked. It looked like it
> was well built. That is pretty important in my selection. I am one of
> those kind of people who get any kind of $150 grill and they never last.
> This one was about $350. The only problem is that I don't know how it
> cooks. On the other hand I saw a Weber for about $50 more. It had 3
> burners. My father was with me and he said that Weber's are known for
> better cooking. The problem with the Weber was that it did not seem well
> built. Now I understand that it could not have been built by the rep in the
> store properly and I took that into consideration. I just looked at the
> craftsmanship of it and something did not seem "strong" about it. It seemed
> to have a "cheap" look and feel. I wish I had the model number of both of
> them here. Could it be that I was more impressed by the way the Stainless
> Steel looked? Maybe you guys can suggest a well built and good grilling
> quality grill in the $350 to $400 range. I really don't know where to start
> and would appreciate some assistance from some of the "PROS" here. :-).
>
> Thanks,
> Darren

Darren

Smokie,
I took your advice and bought the Silver B last night. I took it out of my
truck this morning and put it together. I must say, I put it together in
less than an hour this morning and I hadn't even had my coffee yet so I was
moving pretty slow. I was really impressed with how little work it took. I
did run into one problem, the Condiment tray had its pin cracked off. I
pulled out the book and called Weber. They were very happy to send me a new
tray. It wasn't a big deal anyway since it isn't a show stopper. Anyway, I
just heated it up and now I am going to run to the store to get some "Meats"
to cook. Now for the real test.
Thanks
PS The price was exactly what you said at my local Home Depot.