Roman

Default Vermont Castings CF9055 vs Weber Genesis Gold C

I am not looking for information regarding these two, rather I am
wanting to provide my findings for those considering buying the
Vermont Castings grills at Home Depot. I was faced with this dilemma
this weekend and here is what I found.

Vermont Casting CF9055

-Made in Canada (not the original Vermont Castings from years ago)
-These are made specially for Home Depot and you cannot find any
information about them on the web, they are not on the VC website and
reviews are scarce
-Looks sharp lot of stainless steel
-Feels sharp lots of sharp edges and thin steel cladding
-Bought it, took it home assembled one shelf
-Shelf was so weak and poorly designed I really had to ask myself if
it was worth the money, lots of small screws in odd places
-I could have made it more sturdy but for 1000CAD you would expect not
to have to modify something and void the warranty
-Found some info on usenet about problems with ignition and
maintaining temperatures, read rave reviews about the Weber and
decided to rethink this one
-NEVER EVEN FIRED IT UP, RETURNED IT TO HOME DEPOT

Weber Genesis Gold C

-Great fit and finish
-Assembles easily in about 30 minutes everything you need is in the
box including the tools and propane tank (empty ofcourse)
-Includes Stainless Flavour Bars and Grills, Side Burner, adjustable
swinging warming rack
-Lots of nice little features like the dual purpose thermometer that
can be used to check the meat
-Fired it up and this thing really pumped out the heat
-Grilled 2 new yorks and 2 salmon steaks

Conclusion.. Go with the Weber.. While I originally liked the styling
of the Vermont Castings I had to buy it and bring it home to realize
what it really was.. Just an overpriced poorly designed barbecue.
Having brought both home I can see that the Weber quality is
definitely far superior.

-R.
Steve S

Yep, Weber is the way to go.
Plus, if you have any problems/issues for the next 5 years, give 'em a
call...they'll take care of it.
pilgrim13

Was looking at the JennAir SS at Lowes and the Weber Gold C. Found
out that JennAir is owned by Maytag and neither JennAir or Maytag
makes the JennAir. It's made by a third company. In doing some more
research, found that everything about this grill is Special Order
taking several weeks for something to come in.

Went with the Weber Gold C this past weekend and love it. Found that
the under $30. Heavy Duty cover at Lowes fits perfectly and is $20.
cheaper. Grill gets hot really fast and maintains heat very well.
maxKorosh

(Roman) wrote in message . com>...
> I am not looking for information regarding these two, rather I am
> wanting to provide my findings for those considering buying the
> Vermont Castings grills at Home Depot. I was faced with this dilemma
> this weekend and here is what I found.
>
> Vermont Casting CF9055
>
> -Made in Canada (not the original Vermont Castings from years ago)
> -These are made specially for Home Depot and you cannot find any
> information about them on the web, they are not on the VC website and
> reviews are scarce
> -Looks sharp lot of stainless steel
> -Feels sharp lots of sharp edges and thin steel cladding
> -Bought it, took it home assembled one shelf
> -Shelf was so weak and poorly designed I really had to ask myself if
> it was worth the money, lots of small screws in odd places
> -I could have made it more sturdy but for 1000CAD you would expect not
> to have to modify something and void the warranty
> -Found some info on usenet about problems with ignition and
> maintaining temperatures, read rave reviews about the Weber and
> decided to rethink this one
> -NEVER EVEN FIRED IT UP, RETURNED IT TO HOME DEPOT
>
> Weber Genesis Gold C
>
> -Great fit and finish
> -Assembles easily in about 30 minutes everything you need is in the
> box including the tools and propane tank (empty ofcourse)
> -Includes Stainless Flavour Bars and Grills, Side Burner, adjustable
> swinging warming rack
> -Lots of nice little features like the dual purpose thermometer that
> can be used to check the meat
> -Fired it up and this thing really pumped out the heat
> -Grilled 2 new yorks and 2 salmon steaks
>
> Conclusion.. Go with the Weber.. While I originally liked the styling
> of the Vermont Castings I had to buy it and bring it home to realize
> what it really was.. Just an overpriced poorly designed barbecue.
> Having brought both home I can see that the Weber quality is
> definitely far superior.
>
> -R.

I really want to go with the Weber Gold but I was told that I can't
"sear" (sp?) the meat with anything less than 40,000 Btu. The Weber
Gold only has 36,000. Does that meat I'm sacrificing the ability to
"sear" my steaks? Please advise.
CSS

"maxKorosh" > wrote in message
om...
> (Roman) wrote in message

. com>...
> > I am not looking for information regarding these two, rather I am
> > wanting to provide my findings for those considering buying the
> > Vermont Castings grills at Home Depot. I was faced with this dilemma
> > this weekend and here is what I found.
> >
> > Vermont Casting CF9055
> >
> > -Made in Canada (not the original Vermont Castings from years ago)
> > -These are made specially for Home Depot and you cannot find any
> > information about them on the web, they are not on the VC website and
> > reviews are scarce
> > -Looks sharp lot of stainless steel
> > -Feels sharp lots of sharp edges and thin steel cladding
> > -Bought it, took it home assembled one shelf
> > -Shelf was so weak and poorly designed I really had to ask myself if
> > it was worth the money, lots of small screws in odd places
> > -I could have made it more sturdy but for 1000CAD you would expect not
> > to have to modify something and void the warranty
> > -Found some info on usenet about problems with ignition and
> > maintaining temperatures, read rave reviews about the Weber and
> > decided to rethink this one
> > -NEVER EVEN FIRED IT UP, RETURNED IT TO HOME DEPOT
> >
> > Weber Genesis Gold C
> >
> > -Great fit and finish
> > -Assembles easily in about 30 minutes everything you need is in the
> > box including the tools and propane tank (empty ofcourse)
> > -Includes Stainless Flavour Bars and Grills, Side Burner, adjustable
> > swinging warming rack
> > -Lots of nice little features like the dual purpose thermometer that
> > can be used to check the meat
> > -Fired it up and this thing really pumped out the heat
> > -Grilled 2 new yorks and 2 salmon steaks
> >
> > Conclusion.. Go with the Weber.. While I originally liked the styling
> > of the Vermont Castings I had to buy it and bring it home to realize
> > what it really was.. Just an overpriced poorly designed barbecue.
> > Having brought both home I can see that the Weber quality is
> > definitely far superior.
> >
> > -R.

> I really want to go with the Weber Gold but I was told that I can't
> "sear" (sp?) the meat with anything less than 40,000 Btu. The Weber
> Gold only has 36,000. Does that meat I'm sacrificing the ability to
> "sear" my steaks? Please advise.

Webers seem to sear just fine if you are willing to upgrade to the cast iron
grates. My Weber Genesis 900 (33,00 BTU, I think) gets to over 700 F at the
grates and sears very well, comparable to directly grilling over lump at
about 3-4" distance.

Edwin Pawlowski

"maxKorosh" > wrote in message
> > I am not looking for information regarding these two, rather I am
> > wanting to provide my findings for those considering buying the
> > Vermont Castings grills at Home Depot. I was faced with this dilemma
> > this weekend and here is what I found.
> >
> > Vermont Casting CF9055
> >
> > -Made in Canada (not the original Vermont Castings from years ago)
> > -These are made specially for Home Depot and you cannot find any
> > information about them on the web, they are not on the VC website and
> > reviews are scarce

Another case of whoring a good name. I have a Vermont Castings wood stove
from when they were made in Vermont. Excellent quality. That led me to buy
one of the original real VC grills even though it was a new company at that
point. Also excellent quality. I'd not buy one of the HD versions.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

jdoe

You'll sear just fine. The CI grates maybe a little better but the SS or
enameled ones work fine too.
Larry
"maxKorosh" > wrote in message
om...
> (Roman) wrote in message

. com>...
> > I am not looking for information regarding these two, rather I am
> > wanting to provide my findings for those considering buying the
> > Vermont Castings grills at Home Depot. I was faced with this dilemma
> > this weekend and here is what I found.
> >
> > Vermont Casting CF9055
> >
> > -Made in Canada (not the original Vermont Castings from years ago)
> > -These are made specially for Home Depot and you cannot find any
> > information about them on the web, they are not on the VC website and
> > reviews are scarce
> > -Looks sharp lot of stainless steel
> > -Feels sharp lots of sharp edges and thin steel cladding
> > -Bought it, took it home assembled one shelf
> > -Shelf was so weak and poorly designed I really had to ask myself if
> > it was worth the money, lots of small screws in odd places
> > -I could have made it more sturdy but for 1000CAD you would expect not
> > to have to modify something and void the warranty
> > -Found some info on usenet about problems with ignition and
> > maintaining temperatures, read rave reviews about the Weber and
> > decided to rethink this one
> > -NEVER EVEN FIRED IT UP, RETURNED IT TO HOME DEPOT
> >
> > Weber Genesis Gold C
> >
> > -Great fit and finish
> > -Assembles easily in about 30 minutes everything you need is in the
> > box including the tools and propane tank (empty ofcourse)
> > -Includes Stainless Flavour Bars and Grills, Side Burner, adjustable
> > swinging warming rack
> > -Lots of nice little features like the dual purpose thermometer that
> > can be used to check the meat
> > -Fired it up and this thing really pumped out the heat
> > -Grilled 2 new yorks and 2 salmon steaks
> >
> > Conclusion.. Go with the Weber.. While I originally liked the styling
> > of the Vermont Castings I had to buy it and bring it home to realize
> > what it really was.. Just an overpriced poorly designed barbecue.
> > Having brought both home I can see that the Weber quality is
> > definitely far superior.
> >
> > -R.

> I really want to go with the Weber Gold but I was told that I can't
> "sear" (sp?) the meat with anything less than 40,000 Btu. The Weber
> Gold only has 36,000. Does that meat I'm sacrificing the ability to
> "sear" my steaks? Please advise.

bill

In article >,
says...
(maxKorosh) wrote in message
<>
<> I really want to go with the Weber Gold but I was told that I can't
<> "sear" (sp?) the meat with anything less than 40,000 Btu. The Weber
<> Gold only has 36,000. Does that meat I'm sacrificing the ability to
<> "sear" my steaks? Please advise.
<

Apologies for piggybacking.

I have no trouble searing 4 good sized ribeyes at a time on my Weber Gold C,
stainless steel grates and all. The only complaints I get are from my wife and
others of her ilk that prefer shoe leather. I cook hers < and theirs > until
I can't take it anymore, give them to her and tell her to nuke 'em in the kitchen
'till they're crisp.

<I went with the Weber Gold C and didn't regret it for a second. As
<far as I can tell from what I've read, the Btu output has nothing to
<do with the heat produced in a grill. It has to do with how much gas
<is used in the grilling process. Construction of the grill itself is
<what gives you the heat. Everything from box construction and burner
<construction, placement and number of burners.
<
<I'll say this about the Weber, that thing puts out some serious heat
<fast. I have no problems searing anything even with the SS grates.
<It's the best grill I've owned to date.
<
<Stan
<Who didn't grill this weekend...Used the smoker for a turkey breast
<instead.
<

Smoked 2 full pork slabs and a slab of beef ribs on my WSM this weekend.
allowed a guest to try out my Weber Gold C to grill some New York steaks
and jumbo shrimp. He was in the market for a new grill. He's a southern boy
and was quite enthusiastic about the Que from the smoker. Next day he called
me to tell me what a snap putting a Weber Gold C and WSM together were. 8)

We'll be going to Smart and Final for ribs and butts soon.

Bill

Jason in Dallas

"bill" wrote
> I have no trouble searing 4 good sized ribeyes at a time on my Weber Gold

C,
> stainless steel grates and all.

That's what I thought until I upgraded to the cast iron grates.

pilgrim13

"Jason in Dallas" > wrote in message om>...
> "bill" wrote
> > I have no trouble searing 4 good sized ribeyes at a time on my Weber Gold

> C,
> > stainless steel grates and all.

> That's what I thought until I upgraded to the cast iron grates.

Had my Gold C for about a month now and have no problems at all
getting a good sear on whatever I throw on it.

Are you saying you could not, until you bought the CI grates?

Stan
pilgrim13

"Jason in Dallas" > wrote in message om>...
> "bill" wrote
> > I have no trouble searing 4 good sized ribeyes at a time on my Weber Gold

> C,
> > stainless steel grates and all.

> That's what I thought until I upgraded to the cast iron grates.

Had my Gold C for about a month now and have no problems at all
getting a good sear on whatever I throw on it.

Are you saying you could not, until you bought the CI grates?

Sta
Jason in Dallas

"pilgrim13" > wrote
> > > I have no trouble searing 4 good sized ribeyes at a time on my Weber

Gold C,
> > > stainless steel grates and all.

> > That's what I thought until I upgraded to the cast iron grates.

> Had my Gold C for about a month now and have no problems at all
> getting a good sear on whatever I throw on it.
>
> Are you saying you could not, until you bought the CI grates?

No, I'm saying I thought I was getting a good sear until I upgraded to CI
grates. I could get *a* sear before but not a *good* sear. The CI grates
produce a far superior sear. You think you're getting a good sear right now
but you could be doing a lot better with the CI. The CI grates leave deep,
crispy sear marks you can actually feel as your teeth penetrate while the
stamped steel grates don't leave much more than a black mark.

I'm telling you it's totally different.

Kind of like when you first had sex as a young man: you thought you were
having incredible and great sex but in reality you were just floundering
around compared to what you achieved later on in life.

cl

Jason in Dallas wrote:

> "pilgrim13" > wrote

> Gold C,
> > >
> > > That's what I thought until I upgraded to the cast iron grates.

> > Had my Gold C for about a month now and have no problems at all
> > getting a good sear on whatever I throw on it.
> >
> > Are you saying you could not, until you bought the CI grates?

> No, I'm saying I thought I was getting a good sear until I upgraded to CI
> grates. I could get *a* sear before but not a *good* sear. The CI grates
> produce a far superior sear. You think you're getting a good sear right now
> but you could be doing a lot better with the CI. The CI grates leave deep,
> crispy sear marks you can actually feel as your teeth penetrate while the
> stamped steel grates don't leave much more than a black mark.

My belief on this is to use a red/white hot CI pan on the side burner
(or big 150k burner ) and get a full sear. Finish on the grill
(charcoal for me) at 550 to desired doneness. The more sear the more
flavor. Just don't burn it.

-CAL
DaChief

Wow..
Everybody Loves their Weber!!

I've only had my CF9055 for a couple of weeks.
I was disappointed that I wasn't getting the VCS4000 I thought I was
looking at on the VC website. but, looks can be deceiving!

I should have looked more closely at the model number and searched on
that. But that being said..

The CF9055 Vermont Castings Grill I purchased is as good or better than
any grill I've ever owned. I've never owned a Genesis C and I'm sure it's
also a great grill also, but only a fool would critize such a sturdy,
fuctional and beautiful grill as the CF9055.

One is a Lexus and the other a Mercedes. Choose your luxury!