notbob

Default Question for SFBA Costco members

I know you're out there.

I have a question. I finally broke down and joined Costco. I figured one
of the bennies would be access to good prices on brisket, as I'm always
reading here about the great brisket prices as Costco. Well, the Livermore
store doesn't even carry briskets! Not enough market for them, I'm told
(and Livermore formerly known as the goat roper corner of the BA). So, the
question is, is their any other SFBA Costco's that have brisket?

Louie...?

nb
Nathan Lau

notbob wrote:
> I know you're out there.
>
> I have a question. I finally broke down and joined Costco. I figured one
> of the bennies would be access to good prices on brisket, as I'm always
> reading here about the great brisket prices as Costco. Well, the Livermore
> store doesn't even carry briskets! Not enough market for them, I'm told
> (and Livermore formerly known as the goat roper corner of the BA). So, the
> question is, is their any other SFBA Costco's that have brisket?

I've rarely seen Costco carry brisket, beside the corned beef brisket.
I shop at the Costco on Almaden Expressway in San Jose.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
notbob

On 2004-04-13, Dave Bugg <> wrote:

> SFBA mean? I'm guessing San Fran Bay Area?

Bingo!
Steve Wertz

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:39:05 GMT, notbob >
wrote:

>I know you're out there.
>
>I have a question. I finally broke down and joined Costco. I figured one
>of the bennies would be access to good prices on brisket, as I'm always
>reading here about the great brisket prices as Costco. Well, the Livermore
>store doesn't even carry briskets! Not enough market for them, I'm told
>(and Livermore formerly known as the goat roper corner of the BA). So, the
>question is, is their any other SFBA Costco's that have brisket?

Never saw them in Sunnyvale, San Jose, or Santa Cruz, either. But
the tri-tips, whole top-sirloins, and ribeyes are worth the
membership price, no question about it.

-sw
Rob L

notbob wrote:
> I know you're out there.
>
> I have a question. I finally broke down and joined Costco. I
> figured one of the bennies would be access to good prices on brisket,
> as I'm always reading here about the great brisket prices as Costco.
> Well, the Livermore store doesn't even carry briskets! Not enough
> market for them, I'm told (and Livermore formerly known as the goat
> roper corner of the BA). So, the question is, is their any other
> SFBA Costco's that have brisket?

I know this doesn't help you in SF/BA but the Costco in Burbank carries
brisket,
but I've seen better ones at Smart and Final (in So.Cal).

CH-eers,
Rob L

Duwop

notbob wrote:
> On 2004-04-13, Dave Bugg <> wrote:
>
>> SFBA mean? I'm guessing San Fran Bay Area?

> Bingo!

Mine in Redwood City usually has it.

Dale

Dave Bugg

notbob wrote:
> I know you're out there.
>
> I have a question. I finally broke down and joined Costco. I
> figured one of the bennies would be access to good prices on brisket,
> as I'm always reading here about the great brisket prices as Costco.
> Well, the Livermore store doesn't even carry briskets! Not enough
> market for them, I'm told (and Livermore formerly known as the goat
> roper corner of the BA). So, the question is, is their any other
> SFBA Costco's that have brisket?

The only brisket that my costco carries is corned beef. But the case prices
for spare ribs and pork butt / shoulder can't be beat. BTW, what does the
SFBA mean? I'm guessing San Fran Bay Area?
Dave

Nathan Lau

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Never saw them in Sunnyvale, San Jose, or Santa Cruz, either. But
> the tri-tips, whole top-sirloins, and ribeyes are worth the
> membership price, no question about it.

USDA Choice tri-tip roasts are on sale at Nob Hill for $2.99 / lb this
week. That beats Costco's normal $4.99 / lb.
--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Kent H.

Smart and Final has whole briskets vacuumed packed at very good prices.
Kent

notbob wrote:

> I know you're out there.
>
> I have a question. I finally broke down and joined Costco. I figured one
> of the bennies would be access to good prices on brisket, as I'm always
> reading here about the great brisket prices as Costco. Well, the Livermore
> store doesn't even carry briskets! Not enough market for them, I'm told
> (and Livermore formerly known as the goat roper corner of the BA). So, the
> question is, is their any other SFBA Costco's that have brisket?
>
> Louie...?
>
> nb

notbob

On 2004-04-13, Nathan Lau > wrote:

> USDA Choice tri-tip roasts are on sale at Nob Hill for $2.99 / lb this
> week. That beats Costco's normal $4.99 / lb.

Been a little leery of tri-tips ever since Alton Brown said, "Never
buy anything with 'tip' in the name" on his all beef show. Whatta you
suppose he meant by that?

nb

Steve Wertz

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:43:31 GMT, notbob >
wrote:

>On 2004-04-13, Nathan Lau > wrote:
>
>> USDA Choice tri-tip roasts are on sale at Nob Hill for $2.99 / lb this
>> week. That beats Costco's normal $4.99 / lb.

>Been a little leery of tri-tips ever since Alton Brown said, "Never
>buy anything with 'tip' in the name" on his all beef show. Whatta you
>suppose he meant by that?

Sirloin tips, ball tips, etc.. But certainly not tri-tips. That
was pretty irresponsible of his if he said that.

Don't believe everything you see on TV. Tri-tips are excellent,
especially CostCo's id they're the same as last year (and every
year prior to that).

-sw
CSS

Try Cash and Carry or Smart and Final in SF Bay area. No brisket at Costco
that I've seen

"notbob" > wrote in message
> I know you're out there.
>
> I have a question. I finally broke down and joined Costco. I figured one
> of the bennies would be access to good prices on brisket, as I'm always
> reading here about the great brisket prices as Costco. Well, the

Livermore
> store doesn't even carry briskets! Not enough market for them, I'm told
> (and Livermore formerly known as the goat roper corner of the BA). So,

the
> question is, is their any other SFBA Costco's that have brisket?
>
> Louie...?
>
> nb

Dana Myers

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Don't believe everything you see on TV. Tri-tips are excellent,
> especially CostCo's id they're the same as last year (and every
> year prior to that).

Amen. Costco has long been my source of beef, chicken, pork
and salmon (though I'm tending towards specialty for salmon
these days).

Dana
Nathan Lau

Dana Myers wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>
>> Don't believe everything you see on TV. Tri-tips are excellent,
>> especially CostCo's id they're the same as last year (and every
>> year prior to that).

> Amen. Costco has long been my source of beef, chicken, pork
> and salmon (though I'm tending towards specialty for salmon
> these days).

I wouldn't eat too much of it if it was that farmed salmon stuff.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Dana Myers

Nathan Lau wrote:
> Dana Myers wrote:

>> Amen. Costco has long been my source of beef, chicken, pork
>> and salmon (though I'm tending towards specialty for salmon
>> these days).

> I wouldn't eat too much of it if it was that farmed salmon stuff.

Heh. That's exactly why I'm tending towards specialty stores for
salmon these days. Not only can I avoid PCB-laced farmed fish, I
can get truly luxurious wild salmon. I had some Scottish salmon
recently from Omega 3 (over in Napa - take a cooler with ice in
it) that was to die for. Hmmmm...

Dana

Duwop

Dana Myers wrote:
> Nathan Lau wrote:
>> I wouldn't eat too much of it if it was that farmed salmon stuff.

> Heh. That's exactly why I'm tending towards specialty stores for
> salmon these days. Not only can I avoid PCB-laced farmed fish, I
> can get truly luxurious wild salmon. I had some Scottish salmon
> recently from Omega 3 (over in Napa - take a cooler with ice in
> it) that was to die for. Hmmmm...
>
> Dana

I've always heard that Pacific salmon is considered superior to it's
Atlantic cousins. Never have been able to test it myself. Your opinion? I'm
asking because I've shied away from buying Atlantic salmon at the prices I
see even when there's no Pacific available. But I do love salmon.

Best I ever had was caught by a friend that morning, we gutted it, filled it
with citrus and other goodies, wrapped it in foil and threw it on a grill. I
can still taste that one.

Farm salmon is the pits.

notbob

On 2004-04-14, Dana Myers > wrote:

> can get truly luxurious wild salmon. I had some Scottish salmon
> recently from Omega 3 (over in Napa - take a cooler with ice in
> it) that was to die for. Hmmmm...

Scottish farmed salmon is one of the worst, have been banned from several
countries for a variety of reasons.

nb
notbob

On 2004-04-14, Duwop > wrote:

> I've always heard that Pacific salmon is considered superior to it's
> Atlantic cousins.

Atlantic Salmon is the bogus synonym for farm raised salmon, which is
rapidly becoming an environmental problem.

nb
Duwop

notbob wrote:
> On 2004-04-14, Duwop > wrote:
>
>> I've always heard that Pacific salmon is considered superior to it's
>> Atlantic cousins.

> Atlantic Salmon is the bogus synonym for farm raised salmon, which is
> rapidly becoming an environmental problem.
>
> nb

It sounded like he got some imported wild salmon from his post. I assumed
from his post he knows the difference.

Dana Myers

notbob wrote:

> On 2004-04-14, Dana Myers > wrote:
>

>>can get truly luxurious wild salmon. I had some Scottish salmon
>>recently from Omega 3 (over in Napa - take a cooler with ice in
>>it) that was to die for. Hmmmm...

> Scottish farmed salmon is one of the worst, have been banned from several
> countries for a variety of reasons.

Well, it wasn't farmed according to the shop. It was lovely.

Dana

Dana Myers

Duwop wrote:

> It sounded like he got some imported wild salmon from his post. I assumed
> from his post he knows the difference.

Yup.

Dana