rosie

Default EASTER HAM?

suggestions?

recipes?

we bought an 18lb boneless, skinless, ham.
hoping to do it up on the grill.

any help would be wonderful!
thanks,
rosie

butch burton

"rosie" > wrote in message >...
> suggestions?
>
> recipes?
>
> we bought an 18lb boneless, skinless, ham.
> hoping to do it up on the grill.
>
> any help would be wonderful!
> thanks,
> rosie

Anybody ever think about why we eat ham to celebrate the life of a
jew? Ain't life full of contradictions.

Don't think a boneless/skinless ham is quite the candidate for
grilling-way too much heat. Best of baking it in the oven-maybe even
in a bag to keep it from drying out or in a covered container. You
can go "whole hog" and add brown sugar, pineapple rings, cherries and
cloves. I would think this ham has already been cooked so all you need
do is heat it up.
Default User

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 13:45:15 GMT, "rosie"
> > wrote:
>
> >suggestions?
> >
> >recipes?
> >
> >we bought an 18lb boneless, skinless, ham.
> >hoping to do it up on the grill.
> >
> >any help would be wonderful!
> >thanks,
> >rosie

> Sounds like a fresh ham if it's been hacked up like that.

Huh? It sounds like the boneless skinless cured hams on sale for Easter
in most groceries. The sort of bullet-shaped products.

I've never actually seen fresh ham in the groceries.

Brian Rodenborn

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 19:26:46 GMT, Default User
> > wrote:

> >Huh? It sounds like the boneless skinless cured hams on sale for Easter
> >in most groceries. The sort of bullet-shaped products.

> 18lbs worth? I have never seen an 18lb fake, pressed ham.

Some of the whole boneless hams at the store are quite large. 18 lbs. is
pretty sizeable, I'm just visualizing the equivalent turkey for
reference. However, boned out fresh leg of pork is almost never refered
to as "boneless ham" so I'm going to have to say that even at that size
cured ham is what we're talking about.

> You'd be stupid to buy even 6lbs worth when real cured ham is only
> $1.10-$1.50/lb.

The boneless ones have the advantage of being able to be auto-sliced for
sandwiches. However, I generally agree, I haven't bought anything but
bone-in hams in a long time. I like the taste of the meat better, and
bone is good for a nice pot of pintos.

Brian Rodenborn
BOB

rosie wrote:
> suggestions?
>
> recipes?
>
> we bought an 18lb boneless, skinless, ham.
> hoping to do it up on the grill.
>
> any help would be wonderful!
> thanks,
> rosie

Is this an already-cooked ham? If so, here's a link that I have heard has
excellent results. I've never actually tasted this method, but some of the
people that have reccomended it produce excellent food on the grill.
http://biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/messages/122538.shtml

"Wardster" just asked for the recipe on the Big Green Egg forum yesterday.

Hope you get some ideas from the link.

BOB

Kent H.

Rosie, I'm assuming this is a precooked ham. It is probably best done in
the oven. However, if you have to grill outside as I do. Heat it up in
the Weber, using indirect heat at a very low temp[250F or so in the
grill], to an internal temp of about 100F, just enough to taste right on
the plate and on the palate. I put a drip pan under the ham and put
water in it to increase the humidity of the cooker a bit and prevent
drying out. I also throw on a few chunks of moisturized wood, which adds
a bit of flavor and makes the whole effort seemingly worthwhile. If
you're that gentle with it, as Julia says in "The Way to Cook" you can
heat the ham up again without compromising it.
Happy Ascension Day
Kent

Steve Wertz wrote:

> I'm going to say... lets wait for the OP to explain what exactly
> they have.

What? Actual information? What fun is that?

She hasn't exactly been jumping right in, so I think we may be waiting
for a while.

Brian Rodenborn

Steve Wertz wrote:

> If it wasn't for her(?) past posting history, I'd say we've been
> trolled.

It's actually a decent question, we just need to know which question to
answer. Obviously, two very different solutions depending on whether
it's a boned fresh leg of pork or a fully-cooked, cured, boneless ham.

> Heck - we've given her 1.5 days to respond, it must be a troll,
> right?

Yeah, I think it was a subtle vegetarian rant, now that I think about
it.

<OT>
Here's something hilarious:

</OT>

Brian Rodenborn

Which ham for Easter? Nellie[_2_] General Cooking 61 01-04-2015 08:07 PM
Easter Day koko General Cooking 2 15-04-2009 03:45 AM
Easter cometh (natural Easter egg dying) Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 48 07-03-2009 02:24 AM
easter pie Carmine Sweeney General Cooking 4 26-03-2008 10:54 PM
Easter Ham Pie Duckie ® Recipes 0 21-03-2005 11:27 PM