Rob

Default Walk-in refrigerator for cooking?

Can the materials used for a walk-in refrigerator withstand the temps of Queing?

Rob
Q' for all
Charles Demas

In article >,
Rob > wrote:
>Can the materials used for a walk-in refrigerator withstand the
>temps of Queing?

Depends on the materials.

Wood should survive, but I'm not sure plastic would.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd
Stephen Russell

If you plate the inside with Steel or AL and wood on the outsie it should be
fine.

__Stephen

"Charles Demas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Rob > wrote:
> >Can the materials used for a walk-in refrigerator withstand the
> >temps of Queing?

> Depends on the materials.
>
> Wood should survive, but I'm not sure plastic would.
>

> Chuck Demas
>
> --
> Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
> Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
> Die Anyway | v | That no one could find fault with it.
> | \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd

Dave Bugg

Stephen Russell wrote:
> If you plate the inside with Steel or AL and wood on the outsie it
> should be fine.

(properly bottom posted)

Not likely. Even with the plating, you have to deal with foam insulation
which is not designed to deal with the higher temps for barbecue.

BOB

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Stephen Russell wrote:
>> If you plate the inside with Steel or AL and wood on the outsie it
>> should be fine.

> (properly bottom posted)
>
> Not likely. Even with the plating, you have to deal with foam insulation
> which is not designed to deal with the higher temps for barbecue.

Didn't someone that used to post regularly in this newsgroup have a set up he
called "Freezer-Q"?

Seems to me that I remember something along these lines...Mike Willsey, maybe?

Yep! Here's what Google has to say about the whole idea:

http://www.google.com/groups?as_q=Fr...ecue&lr=&hl=en

I don't remember whether it worked or not, but for the OP, it has been done
before.

BOB

\Piedmont\

The freezer Q was a 2 door commercial freezer, but not a walk in. It had
painted interior steel ceiling, walls and bottom. But door liners were
plastic which I could easily slide out and replace with aluminum
panels/sheet that I obtained at a local steel supplier. Other than that, 3
inch hole sawed through top and lower rear. Used 3 inch aluminum dryer vent
with flap for air intake and same for top except I pulled off the hood and
flap, slipped in a 3 inch duct pipe and rain cap.

Used metal wash tub with coals and logs. Could cook direct, indirect and
even grill with it.

The insulation made it very efficient, I did 165 pound hog, briskets,
turkey, etc..

"Piedmont" (Mike Willsey) Previous handle "Sweets"

" BOB" > wrote in message
> Dave Bugg wrote:
> > Stephen Russell wrote:
> >> If you plate the inside with Steel or AL and wood on the outsie it
> >> should be fine.

> > (properly bottom posted)
> >
> > Not likely. Even with the plating, you have to deal with foam insulation
> > which is not designed to deal with the higher temps for barbecue.

> Didn't someone that used to post regularly in this newsgroup have a set up

he
> called "Freezer-Q"?
>
> Seems to me that I remember something along these lines...Mike Willsey,

maybe?

> Yep! Here's what Google has to say about the whole idea:

http://www.google.com/groups?as_q=Fr...-8&oe=UTF-8&as
_ugroup=alt.food.barbecue&lr=&hl=en

> I don't remember whether it worked or not, but for the OP, it has been

done
> before.
>
> BOB

Rob

All-

FWIW, I inquired with a walk-in freezer/cooler manufacturer. After
dealing with his un-customer friendly attitude I learned that the
insulation they use will only withstand temps up to 200 F. So, if
you're cold smoking...great idea. If your barbecuing (like I wanted)
better find another way.

On a related note, I found some high temp insulation
http://tinyurl.com/2s7u6

Rob
Q for all so long as it's not parboiled.
Stephen Russell

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> Stephen Russell wrote:
> > If you plate the inside with Steel or AL and wood on the outsie it
> > should be fine.

> (properly bottom posted)
>
> Not likely. Even with the plating, you have to deal with foam insulation
> which is not designed to deal with the higher temps for barbecue.

Well The Walk In's that I have delt with were Metal | Wood | Insulation |
Outer surface < steel, fiberglass, ceramic plated steel, particle board &
paint >

>> also quoted on the bottom. __which I hate__

Dave Bugg

Stephen Russell wrote:

> Well The Walk In's that I have delt with were Metal | Wood |
> Insulation | Outer surface < steel, fiberglass, ceramic plated steel,
> particle board & paint >
>
> also quoted on the bottom. __which I hate__

Same here. It doesn't matter what the shell is made of, you will create an
outgassing of the foam insulation when it is heated to barbecue
temperatures. If the walk-in uses fiberglass insulation, there is no
problem.

[Posted on the bottom, because it isn't a matter of personal likes or
dislikes, it is a matter of proper context.]