bbq

Default Ideas/suggestions wanted for Q contest

Hi all,

I am going to be in a Q contest in May. This is a Non sanctioned
contest, so the rules are a bit different.
They a

Equipment will be a supplied Weber Smokey Joe grill (14 inch)
Meat must be raw, but can be marinated or rubbed prior to cooking.
Cook time is 2 hours.
Hot coals supplied. Contestant can add smoking woods.
Cook enough for all Judges (6).

I am looking for ideas/suggestions on what I can cook within this
limited time to knock the Judges out of their chairs.

It seems previous winners have done a tenderloin of some sort. If I go
this route, I would need some marinate or rub recipe to win this event.

All Ideas/suggestions/advice are welcome.

Thanks

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

BOB

bbq wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am going to be in a Q contest in May. This is a Non sanctioned
> contest, so the rules are a bit different.
> They a
>
> Equipment will be a supplied Weber Smokey Joe grill (14 inch)
> Meat must be raw, but can be marinated or rubbed prior to cooking.
> Cook time is 2 hours.
> Hot coals supplied. Contestant can add smoking woods.
> Cook enough for all Judges (6).
>
> I am looking for ideas/suggestions on what I can cook within this
> limited time to knock the Judges out of their chairs.
>
> It seems previous winners have done a tenderloin of some sort. If I go
> this route, I would need some marinate or rub recipe to win this event.
>
> All Ideas/suggestions/advice are welcome.
>
> Thanks
>
> Happy Q'en,
> BBQ

Feed 6 in two hours, on a 14" grill. That's going to be tough. Good thing you
have (almost) 2 months to get ready.

How about a tenderloin, fileted to make a large flat and thin piece of meat,
stuffed with something fancy rolled up jelly-roll style, then grilled for your 2
hours (or less?)?

BOB
what do I win if you use my idea and *you* win?
<eg>

kilikini

" BOB" > wrote in message
s.com...
> bbq wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am going to be in a Q contest in May. This is a Non sanctioned
> > contest, so the rules are a bit different.
> > They a
> >
> > Equipment will be a supplied Weber Smokey Joe grill (14 inch)
> > Meat must be raw, but can be marinated or rubbed prior to cooking.
> > Cook time is 2 hours.
> > Hot coals supplied. Contestant can add smoking woods.
> > Cook enough for all Judges (6).
> >
> > I am looking for ideas/suggestions on what I can cook within this
> > limited time to knock the Judges out of their chairs.
> >
> > It seems previous winners have done a tenderloin of some sort. If I go
> > this route, I would need some marinate or rub recipe to win this event.
> >
> > All Ideas/suggestions/advice are welcome.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Happy Q'en,
> > BBQ

> Feed 6 in two hours, on a 14" grill. That's going to be tough. Good

thing you
> have (almost) 2 months to get ready.
>
> How about a tenderloin, fileted to make a large flat and thin piece of

meat,
> stuffed with something fancy rolled up jelly-roll style, then grilled for

your 2
> hours (or less?)?
>
> BOB
> what do I win if you use my idea and *you* win?
> <eg>

I was kind of thinking along the same lines, Bob.
kili

Jack Curry

"bbq" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am going to be in a Q contest in May. This is a Non sanctioned
> contest, so the rules are a bit different.
> They a
>
> Equipment will be a supplied Weber Smokey Joe grill (14 inch)
> Meat must be raw, but can be marinated or rubbed prior to cooking.
> Cook time is 2 hours.
> Hot coals supplied. Contestant can add smoking woods.
> Cook enough for all Judges (6).
>
> I am looking for ideas/suggestions on what I can cook within this
> limited time to knock the Judges out of their chairs.
>
> It seems previous winners have done a tenderloin of some sort. If I go
> this route, I would need some marinate or rub recipe to win this event.
>
> All Ideas/suggestions/advice are welcome.
>
> Thanks
>
> Happy Q'en,
> BBQ

Two hours cook time isn't enough to qualify as "Q," but nevertheless, how
'bout a mojo criollo soaked chicken? Get a big bird, it'll feed six.

Jack Curry

Louis Cohen

2 hours cooking suggests grilling/roasting rather than BBQ. You might think
in terms of:

- boneless leg of lamb
- tri-tip
- beef rib roast (prime rib)
- chicken/turkey (whole, spatchcocked, or pieces)

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"bbq" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am going to be in a Q contest in May. This is a Non sanctioned
> contest, so the rules are a bit different.
> They a
>
> Equipment will be a supplied Weber Smokey Joe grill (14 inch)
> Meat must be raw, but can be marinated or rubbed prior to cooking.
> Cook time is 2 hours.
> Hot coals supplied. Contestant can add smoking woods.
> Cook enough for all Judges (6).
>
> I am looking for ideas/suggestions on what I can cook within this
> limited time to knock the Judges out of their chairs.
>
> It seems previous winners have done a tenderloin of some sort. If I go
> this route, I would need some marinate or rub recipe to win this event.
>
> All Ideas/suggestions/advice are welcome.
>
> Thanks
>
> Happy Q'en,
> BBQ

Harry Demidavicius

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 12:08:40 -0800, "Louis Cohen"
> wrote:

>2 hours cooking suggests grilling/roasting rather than BBQ. You might think
>in terms of:
>
>- boneless leg of lamb
>- tri-tip
>- beef rib roast (prime rib)
>- chicken/turkey (whole, spatchcocked, or pieces)

>----
>Louis Cohen
>Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"
>

>"bbq" > wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am going to be in a Q contest in May. This is a Non sanctioned
>> contest, so the rules are a bit different.
>> They a
>>
>> Equipment will be a supplied Weber Smokey Joe grill (14 inch)
>> Meat must be raw, but can be marinated or rubbed prior to cooking.
>> Cook time is 2 hours.
>> Hot coals supplied. Contestant can add smoking woods.
>> Cook enough for all Judges (6).
>>
>> I am looking for ideas/suggestions on what I can cook within this
>> limited time to knock the Judges out of their chairs.
>>
>> It seems previous winners have done a tenderloin of some sort. If I go
>> this route, I would need some marinate or rub recipe to win this event.
>>
>> All Ideas/suggestions/advice are welcome.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Happy Q'en,
>> BBQ

Flank steak or else spatchcocked bird is forgiving enough to try on a
strange cooker, and in the time you have available.

Harry
Edwin Pawlowski

> >"bbq" > wrote in message

> >> I am looking for ideas/suggestions on what I can cook within this
> >> limited time to knock the Judges out of their chairs.

How about stuffed pork tenderloins? Stuff with prosciutto, provolone,
season with garlic and rosemary.

Or stuffed chicken breast.
Ed

Nathan Lau

"bbq" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am going to be in a Q contest in May. This is a Non sanctioned
> contest, so the rules are a bit different.
> They a
>
> Equipment will be a supplied Weber Smokey Joe grill (14 inch)
> Meat must be raw, but can be marinated or rubbed prior to cooking.
> Cook time is 2 hours.
> Hot coals supplied. Contestant can add smoking woods.
> Cook enough for all Judges (6).
>
> I am looking for ideas/suggestions on what I can cook within this
> limited time to knock the Judges out of their chairs.
>
> It seems previous winners have done a tenderloin of some sort. If I go
> this route, I would need some marinate or rub recipe to win this event.
>
> All Ideas/suggestions/advice are welcome.

What part of the country is the contest being held? Might make sense to
prepare something that the "locals" are more familiar with.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

Graeme... in London

"bbq" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am going to be in a Q contest in May. This is a Non sanctioned
> contest, so the rules are a bit different.
> They a
>
> Equipment will be a supplied Weber Smokey Joe grill (14 inch)
> Meat must be raw, but can be marinated or rubbed prior to cooking.
> Cook time is 2 hours.
> Hot coals supplied. Contestant can add smoking woods.
> Cook enough for all Judges (6).
>
> I am looking for ideas/suggestions on what I can cook within this
> limited time to knock the Judges out of their chairs.
>
> It seems previous winners have done a tenderloin of some sort. If I go
> this route, I would need some marinate or rub recipe to win this event.
>
> All Ideas/suggestions/advice are welcome.
>
> Thanks
>
> Happy Q'en,
> BBQ

bbq

I might go down the duck breast route. Smokes up easy in the 2 hr time
schedule and I would apply an orange/pepper/garlic marinade rub/brine.

All medals and prizes to be donated to "The Lard"

Graeme

Reg

Graeme... in London wrote:

> I might go down the duck breast route. Smokes up easy in the 2 hr time
> schedule and I would apply an orange/pepper/garlic marinade rub/brine.

That's an excellent idea. I might add that you could smoke it with
tea, i.e. Tea Smoked Duck Breast. That might make it stand out
a bit more from the competition.

Craig Watts

>All Ideas/suggestions/advice are welcome.
>
>Thanks
>
>Happy Q'en,
>BBQ

Honey Garlic Pork Chops have always been a huge favorite of mine.

Recipe come from he

http://www.ncpork.org/consumers/recipes.shtml

Repost if you can't find it or need it.

Craig
BOB

kilikini wrote:
> " BOB" > wrote in message
> s.com...
>> bbq wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am going to be in a Q contest in May. This is a Non sanctioned
>>> contest, so the rules are a bit different.
>>> They a
>>>
>>> Equipment will be a supplied Weber Smokey Joe grill (14 inch)
>>> Meat must be raw, but can be marinated or rubbed prior to cooking.
>>> Cook time is 2 hours.

OK,can't actually be "Q" if you can only cook for 2 hours

>>> Hot coals supplied. Contestant can add smoking woods.
>>> Cook enough for all Judges (6).
>>>
>>> I am looking for ideas/suggestions on what I can cook within this
>>> limited time to knock the Judges out of their chairs.

You've got other ideas from the group, but for variation, you could try "Super
Burger Dogs" for something new and different.
http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesBurgerDogs.html

Substitute fresh (home made?) sausage for the hot dogs.

>>> It seems previous winners have done a tenderloin of some sort. If I go
>>> this route, I would need some marinate or rub recipe to win this event.
>>>
>>> All Ideas/suggestions/advice are welcome.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Happy Q'en,
>>> BBQ

>> Feed 6 in two hours, on a 14" grill. That's going to be tough. Good thing
>> you have (almost) 2 months to get ready.
>>
>> How about a tenderloin, fileted to make a large flat and thin piece of meat,
>> stuffed with something fancy rolled up jelly-roll style, then grilled for
>> your 2 hours (or less?)?
>>
>> BOB
>> what do I win if you use my idea and *you* win?
>> <eg>
>>

> I was kind of thinking along the same lines, Bob.
> kili

With all these ideas, if you don't win, it won't be because of originality,
unless the judges don't like originality.

BOB

Ted

"Feed 6 in two hours, on a 14" grill. That's going to be tough. Good
thing you
have (almost) 2 months to get ready."

You only need six samples, not six meals. Although it is a non
sanctioned event, the basic judging procedure probably doesn't differ
too much.

Ted
KCBS Judge
JD

"Ted" > wrote in message
om
> "Feed 6 in two hours, on a 14" grill. That's going to be tough. Good
> thing you
> have (almost) 2 months to get ready."
>
> You only need six samples, not six meals. Although it is a non
> sanctioned event, the basic judging procedure probably doesn't differ
> too much.
>
> Ted
> KCBS Judge

Ain't that the truth? If I had to eat an entire serving from each contestant
I'd blow up long before the judging was done.

JD

M&M

Several votes here for stuffed loin or tenderloin. Either could
be a winner. Fresh baby spinach, prosciutto, provolone
stuffing. Find a nice pork rub that you can get a good crust
with. Cook 300° to 350° and use some fairly serious smoke.
You can overcook those guys in just two hours, so watch
out.
--
M&M ("The problem is that no matter what you do, there's
Sombody that won' t like it much") Tom Clancy

Harry Demidavicius

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 02:24:18 GMT, " BOB" > wrote:

>kilikini wrote:
>> " BOB" > wrote in message
>> s.com...

>OK,can't actually be "Q" if you can only cook for 2 hours

>You've got other ideas from the group, but for variation, you could try "Super
>Burger Dogs" for something new and different.
>http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesBurgerDogs.html
>
>Substitute fresh (home made?) sausage for the hot dogs.

>>> Feed 6 in two hours, on a 14" grill. That's going to be tough. Good thing
>>> you have (almost) 2 months to get ready.
>>>
>>> How about a tenderloin, fileted to make a large flat and thin piece of meat,
>>> stuffed with something fancy rolled up jelly-roll style, then grilled for
>>> your 2 hours (or less?)?
>>>
>>> BOB
>>> what do I win if you use my idea and *you* win?
>>> <eg>
>>>

>> I was kind of thinking along the same lines, Bob.
>> kili

>With all these ideas, if you don't win, it won't be because of originality,
>unless the judges don't like originality.
>
>BOB

Fascinating, Bob. let's say one used brats or Italians, do you think
they would need to be pre-cooked? Have you done this? TIA.

Harry
Dimitri

"bbq" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am going to be in a Q contest in May. This is a Non sanctioned
> contest, so the rules are a bit different.
> They a
>
> Equipment will be a supplied Weber Smokey Joe grill (14 inch)
> Meat must be raw, but can be marinated or rubbed prior to cooking.
> Cook time is 2 hours.
> Hot coals supplied. Contestant can add smoking woods.
> Cook enough for all Judges (6).
>
> I am looking for ideas/suggestions on what I can cook within this
> limited time to knock the Judges out of their chairs.
>
> It seems previous winners have done a tenderloin of some sort. If I go
> this route, I would need some marinate or rub recipe to win this event.
>
> All Ideas/suggestions/advice are welcome.
>
> Thanks
>
> Happy Q'en,
> BBQ

Bone a medium turkey or turkey breast.
http://home.surfsouth.com/~dworsley/page3.htm
Make a cornbread chorizo and jalapeño stuffing.
Fill and tie the bird.
Q the turkey over slow fire using some mesquite wood.
Don't forget to A) oil the skin, B) let the bird rest before slicing.

Dimitri

Ivan Weiss

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> Make a cornbread chorizo and jalapeño stuffing.
> Fill and tie the bird.
> Q the turkey over slow fire using some mesquite wood.
> Don't forget to A) oil the skin, B) let the bird rest before slicing.

Hey! Yo! Don't you have to have a minimum oven heat to of 300-325 to keep
salmonella from developing in that stuffing? I sure wouldn't stuff a turkey
with anything but apples or onions if I was going to use a "slow" fire.

If I am off base with this, please hasten to correct me.
--
Ivan Weiss For Washington's future,
Vashon WA Phil Talmadge (D) for Governor

Reg

Ivan Weiss wrote:

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>
>>Make a cornbread chorizo and jalapeño stuffing.
>>Fill and tie the bird.
>>Q the turkey over slow fire using some mesquite wood.
>>Don't forget to A) oil the skin, B) let the bird rest before slicing.

> Hey! Yo! Don't you have to have a minimum oven heat to of 300-325 to keep
> salmonella from developing in that stuffing? I sure wouldn't stuff a turkey
> with anything but apples or onions if I was going to use a "slow" fire.
>
> If I am off base with this, please hasten to correct me.

The issue isn't so much the oven temp, it's the final internal temp
of the product. As long as it gets to the proper temp, and it doesn't
spend over 3 hours to get there (i.e. in the danger zone), it's OK.

Dimitri

"Ivan Weiss" > wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> >
> > Make a cornbread chorizo and jalapeño stuffing.
> > Fill and tie the bird.
> > Q the turkey over slow fire using some mesquite wood.
> > Don't forget to A) oil the skin, B) let the bird rest before slicing.

> Hey! Yo! Don't you have to have a minimum oven heat to of 300-325 to keep
> salmonella from developing in that stuffing? I sure wouldn't stuff a

turkey
> with anything but apples or onions if I was going to use a "slow" fire.
>
> If I am off base with this, please hasten to correct me.
> --
> Ivan Weiss For Washington's future,
> Vashon WA Phil Talmadge (D) for Governor
> http://www.talmadge2004.com

http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepub...afety/2258.htm

Cook:
Cook to Proper Temperatures
Use a clean thermometer, which measures the internal temperature of cooked
foods, to make sure meat, poultry, casseroles and other foods are cooked all
the way through.
Cook roasts and steaks to at least 145 degrees F. Poultry parts should be
cooked to 170 degrees F and whole poultry to 180 degrees F for doneness.
Cook ground beef, where bacteria can spread during processing, to at least
160 degrees F.
Cook eggs until the yolk and white are firm. Don’t use recipes in which eggs
remain raw or are only partially cooked.
Fish should be opaque (not clear) and flake easily with a fork.
When cooking in a microwave oven, make sure there are no cold spots in food
where bacteria can survive. For best results, cover food, stir and rotate
for even cooking. If there is no turntable, rotate the dish by hand once or
twice during cooking.
Bring sauces, soups, and gravy to a boil when reheating. Heat other
leftovers thoroughly to at least 165 degrees F (steaming hot).

Also

See page 15 he http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/pubs/cfg/CookGroups.pdf

Dimitri

\Piedmont\

Dimitri > wrote in message

> Bone a medium turkey or turkey breast.
> http://home.surfsouth.com/~dworsley/page3.htm
> Make a cornbread chorizo and jalapeño stuffing.
> Fill and tie the bird.
> Q the turkey over slow fire using some mesquite wood.
> Don't forget to A) oil the skin, B) let the bird rest before slicing.
>
> Dimitri

Hey "D",
Ya got a recipe for the cornbread/chorizo/jalapeno or is it simply cornbread
stuffing with chorizo and jalapeno added?
"Piedmont"

bbq

Thanks for all the suggestions. Not sure just yet what I will grill. I
am leaning towards doing a center cut pork loin. There $1.98/lb this
week. I can get a couple and do a trial cook. IIRC, these should be
cooked till about 140° internal and will be very moist.

I liked the idea of duck or chicken. But part of the points is
presentation and I think a pork loin is easier to make it look good. At
least for me.

And yes, I need 6 samples, not full meals as my note may have indicated.

Last year I tried enchiladas, grilling chicken breasts, chopping them
and assembling the enchiladas and then heating them to get the cheese to
melt. I had hoped I could get some points for doing something a little
different, but it didn't work. The enchiladas were great(as always), but
didn't sway the judges enough.

I'll let you know how things turn out. And post pics in the other NG.

Thanks again.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

BOB

Harry Demidavicius wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 02:24:18 GMT, " BOB" > wrote:
>
>> You've got other ideas from the group, but for variation, you could try

"Super
>> Burger Dogs" for something new and different.
>> http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesBurgerDogs.html
>>
>> Substitute fresh (home made?) sausage for the hot dogs.
>>

> Fascinating, Bob. let's say one used brats or Italians, do you think
> they would need to be pre-cooked? Have you done this? TIA.
>
> Harry

I have only used hot dogs and pre-cooked, myself. At the Florida Fest earlier
this month, Rumrunner (http://www.ask-a-butcher.com) cooked some on my K5, and
used sausage, I think it was uncooked. I do know he was cooking at about 325,
for much longer than the 15 minutes that the article says. They were excellent!
Much better than the ones that I cooked earlier. (I saw the original post
several months ago)

BOB

Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 01:45:45 GMT, " BOB" > wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 02:24:18 GMT, " BOB" > wrote:
>>
>>> You've got other ideas from the group, but for variation, you could try

>"Super
>>> Burger Dogs" for something new and different.
>>> http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesBurgerDogs.html
>>>
>>> Substitute fresh (home made?) sausage for the hot dogs.
>>>

>> Fascinating, Bob. let's say one used brats or Italians, do you think
>> they would need to be pre-cooked? Have you done this? TIA.
>>
>> Harry

>I have only used hot dogs and pre-cooked, myself. At the Florida Fest earlier
>this month, Rumrunner (http://www.ask-a-butcher.com) cooked some on my K5, and
>used sausage, I think it was uncooked. I do know he was cooking at about 325,
>for much longer than the 15 minutes that the article says. They were excellent!
>Much better than the ones that I cooked earlier. (I saw the original post
>several months ago)
>
>BOB

Yhks, Bob - I'll road test some ideas at my next grill session.

Harry

Thinking Pancetta and Wops.

Harry

Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 01:45:45 GMT, " BOB" > wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 02:24:18 GMT, " BOB" > wrote:
>>
>>> You've got other ideas from the group, but for variation, you could try

>"Super
>>> Burger Dogs" for something new and different.
>>> http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesBurgerDogs.html
>>>
>>> Substitute fresh (home made?) sausage for the hot dogs.
>>>

>> Fascinating, Bob. let's say one used brats or Italians, do you think
>> they would need to be pre-cooked? Have you done this? TIA.
>>
>> Harry

>I have only used hot dogs and pre-cooked, myself. At the Florida Fest earlier
>this month, Rumrunner (http://www.ask-a-butcher.com) cooked some on my K5, and
>used sausage, I think it was uncooked. I do know he was cooking at about 325,
>for much longer than the 15 minutes that the article says. They were excellent!
>Much better than the ones that I cooked earlier. (I saw the original post
>several months ago)
>
>BOB

Thanks, Bob. I'm now trying to figure out if to par-boil, or lightly
Que or sautee the sausage before assembly. I think the ruglets will
love this.

Harry

Dimitri

""Piedmont"" > wrote in message

> Dimitri > wrote in message
> >

> > Bone a medium turkey or turkey breast.
> > http://home.surfsouth.com/~dworsley/page3.htm
> > Make a cornbread chorizo and jalapeño stuffing.
> > Fill and tie the bird.
> > Q the turkey over slow fire using some mesquite wood.
> > Don't forget to A) oil the skin, B) let the bird rest before slicing.
> >
> > Dimitri
> >

> Hey "D",
> Ya got a recipe for the cornbread/chorizo/jalapeno or is it simply

cornbread
> stuffing with chorizo and jalapeno added?
> "Piedmont"

Sorry I don't seem to use recipes any more. What you mention is about it
only add some sautéed celery, onion and maybe some diced sweet fruit to
balance the heat. Apples and a firm flesh pears will work quite well, as
will raisins or dried cranberries reconstituted in tequila or sherry.

Dimitri

Tyler Hopper

Default Spicy Cornbread Dressing; Was: Ideas/suggestions wanted for Q contest

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
m...

> ""Piedmont"" > wrote in message
> >
> > Dimitri > wrote in message
> > >

> > > Bone a medium turkey or turkey breast.
> > > http://home.surfsouth.com/~dworsley/page3.htm
> > > Make a cornbread chorizo and jalapeño stuffing.
> > > Fill and tie the bird.
> > > Q the turkey over slow fire using some mesquite wood.
> > > Don't forget to A) oil the skin, B) let the bird rest before slicing.
> > >
> > > Dimitri
> > >

> > Hey "D",
> > Ya got a recipe for the cornbread/chorizo/jalapeno or is it simply

> cornbread
> > stuffing with chorizo and jalapeno added?

This is just killer. Two suggestions:

- Cutting the cornbread into cubes and rebaking it seems a PITA but it's
critical. Keeps it from turning into dust when you mix everything.

- If you aren't going to eat the whole dish at one sitting, don't put the pine
nuts into the mixture. Save them out and garnish when served. Otherwise when you
store it they'll turn to mush.

Oh, and in the South it's dressing, not stuffing.

Spicy Cornbread Dressing

Ingredients:

1 recipe of day old Jalapeno cornbread (see below)

3/4 C pine nuts
1 lb. fresh chorizo (bulk Mexican style not link Spanish or Portuguese)
2 C chopped onion
2 C chopped celery
2 cloves minced garlic
2 C chicken stock
4 T melted, unsalted butter
1 bunch of chopped cilantro leaves
salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat oven to 350 dF. Roast the pine nuts until golden brown (~6 min.)

Cut the cornbread into 1" cubes; spread on a cookie sheet and bake until the
edges are brown. Shake or turn occasionally. (~20 min.) Transfer to a large
mixing bowl and set aside.

In a heavy pan crumble and sauté the chorizo until almost done. Add onions &
celery and sauté until soft.

Remove from heat and add pine nuts (see note above). Stir to combine and pour
over the cornbread.

Add the butter and cilantro. Add stock a little at a time and toss to combine.
Should be moist but not soggy.

Put in a buttered baking dish and bake until warmed through and brown on top.

Jalapeno Cornbread

Ingredients:

2 T melted, unsalted butter
1C flour
3/4 C cornmeal
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ground black pepper
1 C buttermilk
2 (or more) minced jalapenos with seeds
1 egg lightly beaten
1 T - 1/3 C sugar (depending on your taste)

Preheat oven to 425 dF

Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and pepper.

In another bowl whisk together the buttermilk, jalapenos, egg, sugar and butter.
Add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.

Pour into a buttered baking dish and bake until golden brown (~20 min.) Let cool
for 10 min., turn onto a cooling rack.

Cut it up and eat it with large slabs of butter right now or let it sit
overnight (uncut) if using in the dressing recipe.

_________
ht_redneck