SonoranDude

Default To foil or not to foil the pan

OK I'm ready to try the sand pan in the WSM this weekend... Camping out and
going to overnight minion a couple of big butts and figure I can get a lot
more sleep by not filling up the pan with water every 2 hours...

I will have plenty of fine sand to use at this location and was wondering if
it is best to just fill the pan with sand and let the drippings soak into
the sand or wrap the entire sand filled pan with foil which was mentioned in
an earlier post. Is there a chance of grease fire with a foil wrapped pan?

Last question? how full do you recommend filling the pan with sand? just
below the seating lip?

Thanks,

Brad

JL

"SonoranDude" > wrote:
> OK I'm ready to try the sand pan in the WSM this weekend... Camping out

and
> going to overnight minion a couple of big butts and figure I can get a lot
> more sleep by not filling up the pan with water every 2 hours...
>
> I will have plenty of fine sand to use at this location and was wondering

if
> it is best to just fill the pan with sand and let the drippings soak into
> the sand or wrap the entire sand filled pan with foil which was mentioned

in
> an earlier post. Is there a chance of grease fire with a foil wrapped pan?
>
> Last question? how full do you recommend filling the pan with sand? just
> below the seating lip?

Last summer was my summer-of-sand.

I fill the pan with sand to about 1/2" from the top and I foil it and press
the foil down to the sand line. This creates a little pool of juices that
make it easier to clean up, and it prevents the juices from hitting the
fire.
I use a Brinkman pan.

However, with that said, this summer it is back to water for me.
While sand is convenient for long cooks, I had a helluva time controlling
the heat; even with the bottom vents totally closed. With a water pan,
I can always add cold water and/or ice cubes to bring the temp down.
I can get a Brinkman pan to last ~6 hours with water.

bbq

SonoranDude wrote:
> OK I'm ready to try the sand pan in the WSM this weekend... Camping out and
> going to overnight minion a couple of big butts and figure I can get a lot
> more sleep by not filling up the pan with water every 2 hours...
>
> I will have plenty of fine sand to use at this location and was wondering if
> it is best to just fill the pan with sand and let the drippings soak into
> the sand or wrap the entire sand filled pan with foil which was mentioned in
> an earlier post. Is there a chance of grease fire with a foil wrapped pan?
>
> Last question? how full do you recommend filling the pan with sand? just
> below the seating lip?

I would not let the drippings go into the sand. Eventually, the sand
will get rancid and will have to be replaced. Put foil on top of the
sand to catch the drippings and make clean up after each cook much easier.

Put in enough sand so it is about 1/2 to 1 inch below the top of the
pan. There should be no chance of a grease fire unless you get a VERY
big flame from your heat source. And if that happens, grab your fire
extinguisher and spray the hell out of the cooker. And don't try the
meat:-) Hopefully, the cooker survived and is still capable starting over.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

John O

> > OK I'm ready to try the sand pan in the WSM this weekend... Camping out
[snip]
> > I will have plenty of fine sand to use at this location

Do use the foil, and take the drippings home with you, or burn them in a
campfire. Tossing the greasy sand on the ground isn't kind to the
environment.

-John O

SonoranDude

"John O" > wrote in message
om...
> > > OK I'm ready to try the sand pan in the WSM this weekend... Camping

out
> [snip]
> > > I will have plenty of fine sand to use at this location

> Do use the foil, and take the drippings home with you, or burn them in a
> campfire. Tossing the greasy sand on the ground isn't kind to the
> environment.
>
> -John O

Makes sense to me... I was just curious about grease build up.. i'll let you
know what I think when I get back Monday.

SonoranDude

Ok I'm sold! Sand rocks and now I can get some sleep...

"SonoranDude" > wrote in message

> "John O" > wrote in message
> om...

> out
> > [snip]

> > Do use the foil, and take the drippings home with you, or burn them in a
> > campfire. Tossing the greasy sand on the ground isn't kind to the
> > environment.
> >
> > -John O
> >

> Makes sense to me... I was just curious about grease build up.. i'll let

you
> know what I think when I get back Monday.

Foil Pouches Shakoflex Pack General Cooking 0 11-05-2012 07:00 AM
Tin Foil Hat Winners...? Dan Barbecue 2 07-05-2007 03:54 PM
Tin Foil Hat Winners...? -L. General Cooking 39 06-05-2007 04:40 AM
grilling in foil grillmaster General Cooking 0 11-02-2006 02:48 AM