Robert Love

Default [OT] Salsa vs. Picante

I don't know where to ask this question so I'll try here.

What, if any, is the difference between salsa and picante sauce?

I've tried some web searches and come up with two conflicting answers so
I thought I'd see if any of you have definitive definitions.

--bob
cory

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 21:10:16 -0600, BubbaBob
> > wrote:
>

>>Steve Wertz > wrote:
>>
>>>ObSalsa: Just had a craving for something spicy, so I made a
>>>sriracha (Huy Fong, of course - accept no imitations) and chunky
>>>peanut butter sandwich. Not bad, really.
>>>

>>But Huy Fong Sriracha IS an imitation. The real stuff is NOT made

>>from Serrano peppers.

> I'm sure you can make it from any kind of hot (or even mild)
> peppers. Huy Fong doesn't disclose what kind of peppers they
> actually use (I suspect it's a blend of several), though I have
> tried to ask them.
>
> Of the sriracha's available in the U.S., Huy Fong is the best.
> That's all that counts, IMO.
>
> -sw

I have never in my life seen an Asian person use a sriracha sauce that
_wasn't_ Huy Fong, FWIW. And I'm Asian.
Nicko

"Robert Love" > wrote in message
> I don't know where to ask this question so I'll try here.
>
> What, if any, is the difference between salsa and picante sauce?
>
> I've tried some web searches and come up with two conflicting answers so
> I thought I'd see if any of you have definitive definitions.
>
> --bob

"Piquante" means "sharp". The word probably has an etymology similar to the
English, "piquant" which is generally used to denote spiciness.
"Salsa"="sauce".

Salsa picante, therefore, is a pretty much generic term for a spicy sauce.

I have seen all kinds of stuff referred to as "salsa" and "salsa picante" so
I cannot see that there is one definition. It depends whom you are talking
to, and the context, I suppose. I have a feeling you might have been told
by someone that "salsa" would be the stuff with chunks of tomatoes and
onions and stuff in it, whereas "picante sauce" (which I have always thought
to be a rather amusing term) would be the pureed stuff, and maybe this is
true in some circles, but I have been around Mexican neighborhoods for all
of my adult life, and know that at least in that context, there is no
clear-cut distinction between the two. Anyone who tells you otherwise is,
IMNSHO, full of shit.

--
YOP...

Monroe, of course...

In article >, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

> ObSalsa: Just had a craving for something spicy, so I made a
> sriracha (Huy Fong, of course - accept no imitations) and chunky
> peanut butter sandwich. Not bad, really.

I bought a jar of a Korean 'hot pepper paste with strawberries'. (brand
name H&B) Makes a killer hot PB&J. I think it's got some real
potential to star in a pork paste rub, too. Getcha some!

monroe(Huy Fong does rock-but I'd call it sambal)
Ivan Weiss

"Monroe, of course..." > wrote in message
> In article >, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:
>
> > ObSalsa: Just had a craving for something spicy, so I made a
> > sriracha (Huy Fong, of course - accept no imitations) and chunky
> > peanut butter sandwich. Not bad, really.
> >

> I bought a jar of a Korean 'hot pepper paste with strawberries'. (brand
> name H&B) Makes a killer hot PB&J. I think it's got some real
> potential to star in a pork paste rub, too. Getcha some!

Korean hot pepper paste with PB does indeed rock, but hot Indian mango
pickle with PB is my fave.
--
Ivan Weiss "Bush, Bush, where's my job?"
Vashon WA Gone to feed your greedy mob!"

Monroe, of course...

In article >, "Ivan Weiss"
> wrote:

> "Monroe, of course..." > wrote in message
> > I bought a jar of a Korean 'hot pepper paste with strawberries'. (brand
> > name H&B) Makes a killer hot PB&J. I think it's got some real
> > potential to star in a pork paste rub, too. Getcha some!

> Korean hot pepper paste with PB does indeed rock, but hot Indian mango
> pickle with PB is my fave.

This stuff isn't your average KHPP-it has honey in it instead of
vinegar and strawberries (about 30% if the label tells the truth). It's
not exactly sweet. If you're like me, who puts Tabasco over
strawberries (or peaches) in syrup, it'll be right up yer alley.
This stuff's gonna be fun to play with.
Mango pickle with PB - I'm gonna try that....

monroe(found links, but too much 'engrish' to be much good)
BKahuna

I've lived in San Diego for ten years, married a Chicana, lived worked
and played been around millions beaners, and eaten at a zillion
Mexican places in Baja, but never once have I seen a bottle of
sriracha.

Which Mexicans use sriracha? Are you talking about the Mexicans from
New York City?
Robert Love

In > Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 12 Mar 2004 03:41:14 GMT, Robert Love >
> wrote:
>
>>I don't know where to ask this question so I'll try here.
>>
>>What, if any, is the difference between salsa and picante sauce?

> Salsa = Sauce (not necessarily from tomatoes)
> Picante = A salsa made from tomatoes (onions and peppers)
>
> All picante sauce is a salsa, but not all salsa is a picante
> sauce.

And this doesn't really jibe with either of the two answers I already
had.

From web searches I had:

a) A picante sauce involved cooking the vegetables while uncooked was
"salas fresca"

b) That Daniel Pace coined the term picante sauce as a promo for his
Pace salsa and it really has no distinct meaning.

--bob
Robin R. Wier

"BKahuna" > wrote in message
> I've lived in San Diego for ten years, married a Chicana,

lived worked
> and played been around millions beaners, and eaten at a

zillion
> Mexican places in Baja, but never once have I seen a

bottle of
> sriracha.
>
> Which Mexicans use sriracha? Are you talking about the

Mexicans from
> New York City?

sriracha
Google search returns 20000+ hits, many with a Thai
connection.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search
or maybe
http://tinyurl.com/278hg

cory

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:24:50 GMT, "Monroe, of course..."
> > wrote:
>

>>monroe (Huy Fong does rock-but I'd call it sambal)

> Their chili-garlic paste is more of a sambal. I always have both
> in the fridge.
>
> -sw

I'd say their sambal is more of a sambal.

http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/oelek.htm

cory

Nicko wrote:

> "Piquante" means "sharp". The word probably has an etymology similar to the
> English, "piquant" which is generally used to denote spiciness.
> "Salsa"="sauce".
>
> Salsa picante, therefore, is a pretty much generic term for a spicy sauce.

"Salsa picante" does indeed literally translate to "sharp sauce" in
English. "Salsa" is simply an abbreviated name for it; since it is so
ubiquitous there should be no confusion as to what sauce is being
referred to. "Picante sauce" is probably an English corruption of "salsa
picante".
BKahuna

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:36:35 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>Maybe you're just blinded by the fact that they're "beaners".
>
>-sw

Nope, I'm pretty much blinded by the fact that I've never seen it at
any taqueria, mercado, or taco cart anywhere between Cabo and Fresno
on the West Coast.

Now that I live in Central Florida, I stop into the mercados and
taquerias in the citrus belt several times a month, and still, I've
never seen that sauce.
F.G. Whitfurrows

"Steve Wertz" > wrote

>Just had a craving for something spicy, so I made a
> sriracha (Huy Fong, of course - accept no imitations) and chunky
> peanut butter sandwich. Not bad, really.

OK Steve, knowing you must be crazy and figgerin I must be just as crazy for
listenin' to ya anyway, I just went in and had me one of those sandwiches.

Pretty good, really. Wonders never cease.:>)

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

F.G. Whitfurrows

"Steve Wertz" > wrote

> I just had another one, this time I added butter as well.

Butter, huh? I was thinkin' about addin' some banana next time. That oughtta
be really good.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

cory

Nicko wrote:
> "cory" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>Nicko wrote:
>>

>>>"Piquante" means "sharp". The word probably has an etymology similar to

> the
>
>>>English, "piquant" which is generally used to denote spiciness.
>>>"Salsa"="sauce".
>>>
>>>Salsa picante, therefore, is a pretty much generic term for a spicy

> sauce.
>
>>"Salsa picante" does indeed literally translate to "sharp sauce" in
>>English. "Salsa" is simply an abbreviated name for it; since it is so
>>ubiquitous there should be no confusion as to what sauce is being
>>referred to. "Picante sauce" is probably an English corruption of "salsa
>>picante".

> So, were you trying to add something to the discussion here?

Uhh, did you?

Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:38:14 GMT, cory > wrote:

>Nicko wrote:
>> "cory" > wrote in message
>> om...

>> the

>> sauce.
>>
>>>"Salsa picante" does indeed literally translate to "sharp sauce" in
>>>English. "Salsa" is simply an abbreviated name for it; since it is so
>>>ubiquitous there should be no confusion as to what sauce is being
>>>referred to. "Picante sauce" is probably an English corruption of "salsa
>>>picante".

>> So, were you trying to add something to the discussion here?
>>

>Uhh, did you?

Yeah, he did. He made me laugh.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Tyler Hopper

"cory" > wrote in message
om...
> Nicko wrote:
>
> > "Piquante" means "sharp". The word probably has an etymology similar to the
> > English, "piquant" which is generally used to denote spiciness.
> > "Salsa"="sauce".
> >
> > Salsa picante, therefore, is a pretty much generic term for a spicy sauce.

> "Salsa picante" does indeed literally translate to "sharp sauce" in
> English.

Bzzzt. Have never seen nor heard picante translated to mean sharp. It is hot or
spicy.

_________
ht_redneck

cory

Tyler Hopper wrote:
> "cory" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>Nicko wrote:
>>

>>>"Piquante" means "sharp". The word probably has an etymology similar to the
>>>English, "piquant" which is generally used to denote spiciness.
>>>"Salsa"="sauce".
>>>
>>>Salsa picante, therefore, is a pretty much generic term for a spicy sauce.

>>"Salsa picante" does indeed literally translate to "sharp sauce" in
>>English.

> Bzzzt. Have never seen nor heard picante translated to mean sharp. It is hot or
> spicy.

Bzzt? Regardless of the pidgin that the mouth-breathers in your barrio
speak, the correct translation of the word "picante" can be found he

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...cante&lp=es_en

> _________
> ht_redneck

Indeed.
Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:13:50 GMT, cory > wrote:

>Bzzt? Regardless of the pidgin that the mouth-breathers in your barrio
>speak, the correct translation of the word "picante" can be found he
>
>http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...cante&lp=es_en

Oh, that's a good one. Babelfish held out as an authoritative source.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
cory

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:13:50 GMT, cory > wrote:
>

>>Bzzt? Regardless of the pidgin that the mouth-breathers in your barrio
>>speak, the correct translation of the word "picante" can be found he
>>
>>http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...cante&lp=es_en
>>

> Oh, that's a good one. Babelfish held out as an authoritative source.

Why is it that you post nothing but snide remarks anymore?

F.G. Whitfurrows

"cory" > wrote >
> Why is it that you post nothing but snide remarks anymore?

A question many of us have asked. The answer, of course, is that he is
intellectually superior.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

F.G. Whitfurrows

Default Kevvy's waving his penis again. Was: [OT] Salsa vs. Picante

Because I promised someone I would do it this way.

If you see this just know its Kevvy flamin' people as only Kevvy can.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Tyler Hopper

"cory" > wrote in message
m...
> Tyler Hopper wrote:
> > "cory" > wrote in message
> > om...

the

> >>"Salsa picante" does indeed literally translate to "sharp sauce" in
> >>English.

> > Bzzzt. Have never seen nor heard picante translated to mean sharp. It is hot

or
> > spicy.

> Bzzt? Regardless of the pidgin that the mouth-breathers in your barrio
> speak, the correct translation of the word "picante" can be found he
>
> http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...cante&lp=es_en

Well, you're probably right what with Babelfish being the acknowledged authority
of language in the world and all. Plus the "mouth breathers" are simply native
Mexicans and the barrio is Mexico City.

Oh, and I've only spoken Spanish for 30 yrs. plus those stupid educators
foolishly thought it was a good idea to teach us Castilian Spanish instead of
Tex-Mex. Imagine that.

_________
ht_redneck

cory

Tyler Hopper wrote:
> "cory" > wrote in message
> m...
>
>>Tyler Hopper wrote:
>>
>>>"cory" > wrote in message
y.com...

> the

>>>Bzzzt. Have never seen nor heard picante translated to mean sharp. It is hot

> or
>
>>>spicy.

>>Bzzt? Regardless of the pidgin that the mouth-breathers in your barrio
>>speak, the correct translation of the word "picante" can be found he
>>
>>http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...cante&lp=es_en

> Well, you're probably right what with Babelfish being the acknowledged authority
> of language in the world and all.

Who said that? I posted that link because it was easier than scanning a
page from a dictionary. Do you even think that "picante" and "piquant"
are not precise counterparts in their respective languages? Do you not
realize that "piquant" means sharp, and that its etymology has to do
with tactile sharpness, not with flavor?

Plus the "mouth breathers" are simply native
> Mexicans and the barrio is Mexico City.

That doesn't mean they know their language. I've seen native speakers
from various countries who don't know their own languages. I'm getting
that impression about you, with English.

I'm done debating this pointless subject with you. Thread closed.
Tyler Hopper

"cory" > wrote in message
om...
> Tyler Hopper wrote:
> > "cory" > wrote in message
> > m...
> >>
> >>Bzzt? Regardless of the pidgin that the mouth-breathers in your barrio
> >>speak, the correct translation of the word "picante" can be found he
> >>
> >>http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...cante&lp=es_en

> > Well, you're probably right what with Babelfish being the acknowledged

authority
> > of language in the world and all.

> Who said that? I posted that link because it was easier than scanning a
> page from a dictionary. Do you even think that "picante" and "piquant"
> are not precise counterparts in their respective languages? Do you not
> realize that "piquant" means sharp, and that its etymology has to do
> with tactile sharpness, not with flavor?
>
> Plus the "mouth breathers" are simply native
> > Mexicans and the barrio is Mexico City.

> That doesn't mean they know their language. I've seen native speakers
> from various countries who don't know their own languages. I'm getting
> that impression about you, with English.

You're one sharp guy and an English language psychic to boot.

> I'm done debating this pointless subject with you. Thread closed.

Good idea.

Yip Yap

cory > wrote in message om>...

> Bzzt? Regardless of the pidgin that the mouth-breathers in your barrio
> speak, the correct translation of the word "picante" can be found he
>
> http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...cante&lp=es_en

That's OK for a one word translation.

My Spanish-English dictionary says "hot,
piquant, highly seasoned."

-- Yip
Mark Shaw

In article >,
"F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote:
>Because I promised someone I would do it this way.

That's a different character string than the one you said you'd
use.

Do you understand the concept of killfiles, and how they work?

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can