J Paschel

Default Weber Genesis Silver vs. Vermont Castings...

OK, apologies in advance for asking for grill recs on a barbecue
group, but if it matters, I used to contribute a lot on smoking, so
here goes....

Mom offered to buy me a Kamado, BGE or equivalent for my
birthday...The thing is, I just don't do enough smoking anymore and
the Kamado ends up being awkward to use on a daily basis (as a gas
grill) and features a tiny cooking surface. I need something my wife
can use to cook hot dogs when I'm out of town and the last time she
tried her hand on a gas Kamado she (literally) singed most of her
(admittedly light) arm hair off simply by the vacumn-like draft
created when she lifted the lid! Those things get hot! Hence, I'm
looking at mid-priced gas grills.

On the advice of some in this group I went to Home Depot to look at
the Genesis Silver C, replete with the "HD exclusive," cast iron
coated grates. I liked what I saw, but found myself peeking at the
Vermont Castings line offered by HD. Much heavier, more solid feeling,
seems better built. I was most interested in the model jsut below the
Medallion. I believe it had 4 burners, etc. In any case, after
checking this group again, it is apparent these models are budget
re-designs offered for big box format at HD and elsewhere, and many
reported some problems with ignition and heat generation. Likewise,
some are troubled by "thin, stainless steel burners."

So my questions are (a) Has anyone had any recent experience with the
Home Depot Vermont Castings models, ideally the model below the
Medallion? How does it work? How high can you take it on propane?

(b) Alternately, are there any other recommended grills in the
$500-$600 range?

I'm always open to suggestions....Thanks so much in advance,

Jarrett
StocksRus®

(J Paschel) wrote in
om:

> OK, apologies in advance for asking for grill recs on a barbecue
> group, but if it matters, I used to contribute a lot on smoking, so
> here goes....
>
> Mom offered to buy me a Kamado, BGE or equivalent for my
> birthday...The thing is, I just don't do enough smoking anymore and
> the Kamado ends up being awkward to use on a daily basis (as a gas
> grill) and features a tiny cooking surface. I need something my wife
> can use to cook hot dogs when I'm out of town and the last time she
> tried her hand on a gas Kamado she (literally) singed most of her
> (admittedly light) arm hair off simply by the vacumn-like draft
> created when she lifted the lid! Those things get hot! Hence, I'm
> looking at mid-priced gas grills.
>
> On the advice of some in this group I went to Home Depot to look at
> the Genesis Silver C, replete with the "HD exclusive," cast iron
> coated grates. I liked what I saw, but found myself peeking at the
> Vermont Castings line offered by HD. Much heavier, more solid feeling,
> seems better built. I was most interested in the model jsut below the
> Medallion. I believe it had 4 burners, etc. In any case, after
> checking this group again, it is apparent these models are budget
> re-designs offered for big box format at HD and elsewhere, and many
> reported some problems with ignition and heat generation. Likewise,
> some are troubled by "thin, stainless steel burners."
>
> So my questions are (a) Has anyone had any recent experience with the
> Home Depot Vermont Castings models, ideally the model below the
> Medallion? How does it work? How high can you take it on propane?
>
> (b) Alternately, are there any other recommended grills in the
> $500-$600 range?
>
> I'm always open to suggestions....Thanks so much in advance,
>
> Jarrett

Tell "Mom" to buy me the Kamado, and I'll buy you the Vermont. LOL

--
StocksRus®

jdoe

There was a test on these in CR last year and Cook's Illustrated. in both
cases the JennAir (made by VC) came in slightly ahead of the Weber. However
keep in mind this was based on the ones made by the canadian arm of VC.
There is a new line coming out. Very flashy but Chinese. If it says "made in
china" don't fall for the flash, go for the weber. If it's the Canadian
built unit it should be a good one but maybe orphaned........so what about
after the sale support? IMO Weber supports their product above and beyond
the call. I know because I fell for the flashy chinese stuff and I am
sorrier every day I didn't anti up and get another (bigger) weber. Yeah the
Summit would run $1400 optioned the way I'd want but at least I wouldn't
"scolded" by them for not "seasoning" my burners whatever the hell that
would do.
Larry
"J Paschel" > wrote in message
om...
> OK, apologies in advance for asking for grill recs on a barbecue
> group, but if it matters, I used to contribute a lot on smoking, so
> here goes....
>
> Mom offered to buy me a Kamado, BGE or equivalent for my
> birthday...The thing is, I just don't do enough smoking anymore and
> the Kamado ends up being awkward to use on a daily basis (as a gas
> grill) and features a tiny cooking surface. I need something my wife
> can use to cook hot dogs when I'm out of town and the last time she
> tried her hand on a gas Kamado she (literally) singed most of her
> (admittedly light) arm hair off simply by the vacumn-like draft
> created when she lifted the lid! Those things get hot! Hence, I'm
> looking at mid-priced gas grills.
>
> On the advice of some in this group I went to Home Depot to look at
> the Genesis Silver C, replete with the "HD exclusive," cast iron
> coated grates. I liked what I saw, but found myself peeking at the
> Vermont Castings line offered by HD. Much heavier, more solid feeling,
> seems better built. I was most interested in the model jsut below the
> Medallion. I believe it had 4 burners, etc. In any case, after
> checking this group again, it is apparent these models are budget
> re-designs offered for big box format at HD and elsewhere, and many
> reported some problems with ignition and heat generation. Likewise,
> some are troubled by "thin, stainless steel burners."
>
> So my questions are (a) Has anyone had any recent experience with the
> Home Depot Vermont Castings models, ideally the model below the
> Medallion? How does it work? How high can you take it on propane?
>
> (b) Alternately, are there any other recommended grills in the
> $500-$600 range?
>
> I'm always open to suggestions....Thanks so much in advance,
>
> Jarrett

Jason in Dallas

The Weber Genesis line is fantastic. After re-building one I swore I was a
Weber man for life and promptly went out and bought a Weber Smokey Mountain
smoker to keep it company. Weber support is legendary and parts
availibility second to none.

However, for the price you pay Weber is lacking on features. It's like
Weber is a Mercedes and the other stuff is a lexus. You get more features
with the other brands but the Weber engineering shows you where your extra
money went.

I can't see owning anything other than a Weber unless I was going to pay
over $1000 and get an infrared grill.