Propane tank valve will not open !

Old 01-03-2004, 12:33 AM
buzzsaw
Usenet poster

Default Propane tank valve will not open !

Hi I just got my tank refilled at Uhaul, and when I hooked it up, the valve
won't open. I mean it is beyond tight - it is like stuck! Now I am a stong
man and it is no longer "hand tight", I dont know what happened. I have
tried pilers, hitting the valve with a hammer - it won't budge. Any ideas
on this one?

Old 01-03-2004, 12:41 AM
Bruce
Usenet poster

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:33:37 -0500, "buzzsaw"
wrote:

Hi I just got my tank refilled at Uhaul, and when I hooked it up, the valve
won't open. I mean it is beyond tight - it is like stuck! Now I am a stong
man and it is no longer "hand tight", I dont know what happened. I have
tried pilers, hitting the valve with a hammer - it won't budge. Any ideas
on this one?

DON'T heat it up with a torch. G

Try some WD 40. A pipe wrench would probably give you more torque too.

Bruce

Old 01-03-2004, 01:16 AM
M&M
Usenet poster

On 29-Feb-2004, "buzzsaw" wrote:

Hi I just got my tank refilled at Uhaul, and when I hooked it up, the
valve
won't open. I mean it is beyond tight - it is like stuck! Now I am a
stong
man and it is no longer "hand tight", I dont know what happened. I have
tried pilers, hitting the valve with a hammer - it won't budge. Any ideas
on this one?

Take it back to U-Haul.

--
M&M ("The problem is that no matter what you do, there's
Sombody that won' t like it much") Tom Clancy
Old 01-03-2004, 01:45 AM
Ol' Hippie
Usenet poster

1.(Keep hittin it wida hamma wanna see if it works)
2.Hell call u-haul and scream.
3.WD-40 & pipe wrench if we were standing within 15 feet of each other.

--
Bruce-n-Gold Beach
Ol' Hippie®

Old 01-03-2004, 02:05 AM
Ol' Hippie
Usenet poster

If your left handed like I am is it possible you used the pliers and hammer
in the wrong direction? Been known to happen,,,,,, no,no nevvvvver me.
--
Bruce-n-Gold Beach
Ol' Hippie®

Old 01-03-2004, 02:20 AM
bbq
Usenet poster

Ol' Hippie wrote:

If your left handed like I am is it possible you used the pliers and hammer
in the wrong direction? Been known to happen,,,,,, no,no nevvvvver me.

LMAO. I'm a leftie too. Used to happen to me quite often. Now, if I
ever have difficulty loosening something, I stand back and think, are
you turning it in the right direction?

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Old 01-03-2004, 02:29 AM
Ol' Hippie
Usenet poster

HEE-Haw hot damn hi bud ! ever see that magazine "Left Hander" ? Don't even
know it its still around but it is, or was a trip !!!
Even read it like we do thumb from the back.

--
Bruce-n-Gold Beach
Ol' Hippie®

Old 01-03-2004, 02:29 AM
bbq
Usenet poster

buzzsaw wrote:

Hi I just got my tank refilled at Uhaul, and when I hooked it up, the valve
won't open. I mean it is beyond tight - it is like stuck! Now I am a stong
man and it is no longer "hand tight", I dont know what happened. I have
tried pilers, hitting the valve with a hammer - it won't budge. Any ideas
on this one?

Try getting a pipe wrench tightened to it and give the wrench a good hit
with a heavier hammer. I have a 4 lb. hammer that I call my 4 lb.
assistant. Works well. Like duck tape, my tool box wouldn't be complete
without it :-)

As Ol' Hippie suggests, make sure your turning(or hitting) it in the
right direction :-)

Happy Q'en when you get that sucker ready,
BBQ

Old 01-03-2004, 02:32 AM
BOB
Usenet poster

bbq wrote:
Ol' Hippie wrote:

If your left handed like I am is it possible you used the pliers and hammer
in the wrong direction? Been known to happen,,,,,, no,no nevvvvver me.

LMAO. I'm a leftie too. Used to happen to me quite often. Now, if I
ever have difficulty loosening something, I stand back and think, are
you turning it in the right direction?

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

"leftie loosie, rightie tightie"

Old 01-03-2004, 03:00 AM
BOB
Usenet poster

Steve Wertz wrote:
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 01:16:12 GMT, "M&M"
wrote:

Take it back to U-Haul.

I'm no Hank Hill, but they don't mess with the vale when they
refill it do they? It has a separate fill valve, doesn't it?

Probably the pressure inside has created some super-human friction
fit on the valve.

-sw

Where *is* Hank Hill? That's one troll that was fun and had a little thought
put into it.

BOB

Old 01-03-2004, 04:25 AM
Ol' Hippie
Usenet poster

Smart ass
--
"We have the Bill of Rights, we need a Bill of Responsibilities"
Bill Maher

Old 01-03-2004, 05:52 AM
Harry Demidavicius
Usenet poster

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:05:41 -0800, "Ol' Hippie"
olhippieATcharterDOTnet wrote:

If your left handed like I am is it possible you used the pliers and hammer
in the wrong direction? Been known to happen,,,,,, no,no nevvvvver me.

Righties tighties; lefties loosies. Doesn't change. OK?

Harry
Old 01-03-2004, 09:54 AM
Big Jim
Usenet poster

"buzzsaw" wrote in message
Hi I just got my tank refilled at Uhaul, and when I hooked it up, the

valve
won't open. I mean it is beyond tight - it is like stuck! Now I am a

stong
man and it is no longer "hand tight", I dont know what happened. I have
tried pilers, hitting the valve with a hammer - it won't budge. Any ideas
on this one?

Did Ya try closing the valve? He may not have closed it when he filled it.
They got the new safety feature that prevents the gas from escaping with the
valve open and nothing hooked up to it.
Just a guess
--
Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

Old 01-03-2004, 11:49 AM
TomD
Usenet poster

"buzzsaw" wrote in message
Hi I just got my tank refilled at Uhaul, and when I hooked it up,

the valve
won't open. I mean it is beyond tight - it is like stuck! Now I am

a stong
man and it is no longer "hand tight", I dont know what happened. I

have
tried pilers, hitting the valve with a hammer - it won't budge. Any

ideas
on this one?

Hi Buzzsaw,

Assuming the valve stem is not bent and looks undamaged, I would try
loosening the packing nut. They may have tightened it too much to
stop a leak.. The nut is below the handle and the stem passes thru
it.

Do it outside (away from fire), loosen a little, and try to open the
valve. Repeat a couple more times if necessary, BUT DO NOT LET THE
NUT COME COMPLETELY OUT. It may leak a little, but not a problem. If
it works, tighten as needed to stop any leaks. If it doesn't work,
retighten. Again, be careful not to remove the packing nut.

HTH,

TomD

Old 01-03-2004, 12:11 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

bbq wrote:

Ol' Hippie wrote:

If your left handed like I am is it possible you used the pliers and
hammer
in the wrong direction? Been known to happen,,,,,, no,no nevvvvver me.

LMAO. I'm a leftie too. Used to happen to me quite often. Now, if I
ever have difficulty loosening something, I stand back and think, are
you turning it in the right direction?

And just when you think you've got it licked, you come across something
with left-handed thread...and then you're working from *behind or
underneath*. Whoa...I need a beer...

Dutch Oven to use on Propane Stove Ed General Cooking 21 08-05-2004 12:08 AM
Saint Paul Bread Club Open Amateur Bake-Off David S. Cargo Baking 0 11-04-2004 04:31 AM
Propane tank recall... pavane Barbecue 2 29-01-2004 09:01 PM
Bouillabaisse Castroniman General Cooking 11 15-01-2004 03:28 AM