John Donne

Default The V of V

from http://www.virtuescience.com/yes.html

The Virtues of Vegetarianism

The principle energy of our food chain comes from the Sun. At every
link in the chain energy is lost. If we have 2 fields of equal size
and use one to rear animals and the other for growing crops we will
get far more usable energy and nutrients from the crop field.

This fact, recognized by mainstream scientists, indicates that if a
significant percentage of the world population became vegetarian then
there would be far more food available for everyone + lots of spare
land for wildlife/biodiversity.

At some point along the path of self improvement the refraining from
eating animal flesh becomes inevitable. The reason for this is that
every reason for eating meat is based in the vices.

Before I go into that I want to make it absolutely clear that a
vegetarian diet is perfectly sufficient for human health. Firstly it
is a fact that many, many people have lived a long and healthy life
without the need to consume the dead flesh of animals.

Actually it is eating meat which is unhealthy. For example it
putrifies in the human intestine which was designed primarily for a
herbivorous diet(although it can deal with some meat in dire
emergencies). It raises blood acidity which is responsible amongst
other things for conditions such as arthritis. The toxic bi-products
of meat eating are responsible for many cases of bad body odor. The
growth hormones added in modern farming practices can interfere with
our own hormonal systems. Stress/fear toxins released into the
animal's blood stream just prior to slaughter may affect us even after
cooking.

Now I want you to think about a definition of cruelty: Causing
suffering for no reason. By eating meat we partake in cruelty as we
are, directly or indirectly, causing suffering to innocent creatures
for no good reason.

If there is no good reason for eating meat then why, one may ask, is
the practice still widespread? The answer is because the vices are
also widespread.

In discussing this subject with meat eaters a pattern in there
"reasoning" emerged:

They eat meat because they believed it too much effort to change: ie
LAZINESS.

They eat meat because they want to fit in: ie COWARDICE.

They eat meat because they havent really thought about the suffering
of the animals: ie THOUGHTLESSNESS.

They eat meat because they have been told by the multi- million dollar
meat industry that it is necessary for health: ie GULLIBLITY and
IGNORANCE.

I could go on but you get the general idea.

I am not saying that to become a vegetarian is to become a saint. What
I am saying is that any one who becomes a saint must also be
vegetarian. This is not dogma, it is just that if we really love and
respect our own life, we naturally love and respect all life.

For the point of argument let us divide up all people into 3 groups:
those who are compassionate and are vegetarian, those who wouldn't
deliberately be cruel to an animal and yet eat meat anyway and those
who work in the industry- some of whom mistreat animals more than
others.

Now if you are in the group who wouldn't deliberately be cruel to an
animal but eat meat anyway, consider this:

You are paying the wages of strangers, some of who savagely mistreat
animals behind closed doors. Apart from illegal cruelty which
certainly goes on behind the scenes, many so called legal practices
are very cruel indeed such as castration without anesthetic etc. No
right minded person would contribute to such suffering- I know that I
don't want any of my money to support it.

Summary

By becoming vegetarian we do our part in reducing the size of this
industry thus weakening it and making it easier to regulate. We help
the environment because vegetarian food is far more efficient to
produce. We improve our own well being, emotionally and physically. We
reduce the unnecessary suffering of innocent animals. We help, by
example, everyone realize the value of Life and thus help reduce
violent crime and war atrocities etc.

....We may even reduce our weekly food bill.

+Plus many other real benefits.

Apart from the above reasons for adopting a vegetarian diet there are
also many esoteric reasons too. If you are so inclined then read on.

Esoteric Diet

Ramana Mararshi, the peerless Sage, said: "Regulation of diet,
restricting it to sattvic food, taken in moderate quantities, is the
best of all rules of conduct and the most conducive to the development
of sattvic (pure) qualities of mind. These in turn help one in the
practice of Self-enquiry."

Slaughter houses and other places where beings are distressed and
mistreated act as negative energy generators which malignly effect the
Earth and it inhabitants. Although it is usually people that are
particularly sensitive who sense such things everyone has some degree
of awareness of them.

Just as mold spreads more easily in conditions that are dark and damp
so do malignant delusions and evil acts propagate themselves more
virulently in areas of low frequency/negative energy. It is a case of
like attracts like. The overall energy of the planet is made up of the
combined energies of its' countless inhabitants. Every good action
lightens the atmosphere and makes the planet more heavenly. Every bad
action darkens the atmosphere and makes the planet more hell-like.

The more evolved the life form the stronger the vibrations which are
emitted. So although all life is equally sacred, from the viewpoint of
the esoteric sciences there is a kind of hierarchy in that plants,
insects, amphibians and fish are more unconscious and less potent when
emanating good or bad vibrations than more complex mammals such as
pigs, sheep, cows, monkeys and humans.

All things vibrate and effect/are effected by the vibrations around
them. According to the law of sympathetic vibration the nearer in
frequency 2 things are to each other the greater the effect they have
on each other, dependent also on distance and amplitude etc of course.

For example imagine a state radio station operating on a particular
frequency. If a pirate radio station is set up on a very different
frequency then you could still tune into the state radio station and
listen to it clearly. But if the pirate radio station was set up to
broadcast on the same, or similar, frequency to the state radio
station it would interfere with the state signal.

The first case, that of the pirate station transmitting on a very
different frequency, illustrates the vegetarian diet. Although plants
are alive and give off subtle vibrations they are of such a different
level of consciousness that our natural human frequency is not
disrupted. However they do have a slight effect which is utilized by
herbalists and practitioners of Ayruveda to heal and balance the human
organism.

The second case, that of a pirate station transmitting on the same or
similar frequency as the original state radio, illustrates the meat
eaters diet. The herd like mentality of much of humanity is
unfortunately strengthened by their consumption of animal meat. If the
animal had been mistreated or suffered a lot of stress before death
then these negative vibrations are also consumed by and malignantly
effect the meat eater to some degree dependent on various factors.

Everyone of us, at any moment "inhabits" countless conceptual groups
each of which subtly influence us to some degree. For example when we
smile we become a member of the group of all those who are smiling.
Smile now. One of the reasons that this makes you feel good is that by
smiling you attune to the collective energy of the group: those who
are smiling. Of course in that group there are countless sub-groups,
and sub-groups of sub-groups and so on like an infinite
conceptual/vibrational fractal. For example by smiling genuinely and
kindly you benefit from a better sub group energy than if you had
smiled sarcasticly.

All truly wise and compassionate beings are at least vegetarian or
vegan. So simply by being a vegetarian/vegan we become a member of the
same conceptual group as these benevolent beings and we thus attune
with their energy.

In the sub-group of the western nations, those who are
vegetarian/vegans are often compassionate free thinkers with an
interest in their health and self improvement. By living similarly we
benefit from the collective energy of that good group. We also
contribute towards the strength of that energy and so help to uplift
and sanctify all life on this planet.
Jack Curry

Default More vegan crap