Where to buy coarse salt?

Old 08-02-2004, 11:33 PM
Pete
Usenet poster

Default Where to buy coarse salt?

I like my steaks grilled with coarse salt, I have had it this way in a
steak house.

I have an extra peper mill, can I just by salt and grind with this?

Is there a certain type of salt?

I looked in the store and this is what I saw.

Deiodized table salt (fine)
non-iodized table salt (fine)

kosher salt (??) (fine)

Pickiling salt (coarse)

Rock salt (coarse)

I thought the rock salt would be the best, but I read the label on the
back.
Used for icecream and on your sidewalk.

Is this the correct stuff?
Old 08-02-2004, 11:53 PM
Steve
Usenet poster

Don't put salt on while grilling, it will draw the moisture out of the meat
and make it tough.

Old 09-02-2004, 01:30 AM
Steve Calvin
Usenet poster

Steve Wertz wrote:

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 17:33:40 -0600, Pete
wrote:

I like my steaks grilled with coarse salt, I have had it this way in a
steak house.

I have an extra peper mill, can I just by salt and grind with this?

Buy a salt mill.

-sw

I second what Steve W. said. A salt mill should not have metal parts
inside. The salt will eventually corrode them.

As for the salt, around here they sell sea salt that I use in my
grinder. The "granules" are large enough to allow a nice grind. If you
can't find it in your area you may want to try Penzeys
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...zeyssalts.html

--
Steve

Old 09-02-2004, 01:45 AM
Pete
Usenet poster

Thanks for your great post!

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 01:36:56 GMT, "TFM®"
wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
.. .
I like my steaks grilled with coarse salt, I have had it this way in a
steak house.

I have an extra peper mill, can I just by salt and grind with this?

Is there a certain type of salt?

I looked in the store and this is what I saw.

Deiodized table salt (fine)
non-iodized table salt (fine)

kosher salt (??) (fine)

Pickiling salt (coarse)

Rock salt (coarse)

I thought the rock salt would be the best, but I read the label on the
back.
Used for icecream and on your sidewalk.

Is this the correct stuff?

You should only combine ice cream and a sidewalk if you're a 17 year old
slut and have mastered the licking technique.

Dumb shit, you said you wanted coarse salt. A grinder will do what? Maybe
grind?????

You'll end up with what? Ground salt???????

Can you say kosher? I knew you could.

Been there, done that. Rock salt in a pepper mill will only serve to rust
the shit outta yer pepper mill.

TFM®

Old 09-02-2004, 02:32 AM
TFM®
Usenet poster

"Pete" While drunk and stupefied, top posted the
following bit of nonsense as well as quoting the *entire* message he was
replying to. He has a Yahoo account. Maybe someday he can grow up and put
an AOL CD in his 'Puter!

wrote:

Dumb shit, you said you wanted coarse salt. A grinder will do what?

Maybe
grind?????

Thanks for your great post!

Note, I have placed your idiotic response in the proper chronological order
relative to my inane chatter. When you attempt to slam me in your reply,
please move your cursor to the end of this text before you begin typing.
Doing so will make you appear more intelligent and women will want you!

TFM®

Old 09-02-2004, 02:48 AM
Edwin Pawlowski
Usenet poster

Pete wrote:
I like my steaks grilled with coarse salt, I have had it this way in a
steak house.

I have an extra peper mill, can I just by salt and grind with this?

I thought the rock salt would be the best, but I read the label on the
back.
Used for icecream and on your sidewalk.

Is this the correct stuff?

Buy a salt mill. Use sea salt. Solar salt is OK but too big for the mill.
DoNOT use rock salt as it will have contaminants. It is not made for food
contact and does not contact the ice cream, only the water (brine) in the
freezer.

Don't buy overpriced sea salt at some fancy gooormet shoppe. Look in the
supermarket or some ethnic markets for it.

Or just use kosher salt.

--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Old 09-02-2004, 08:40 AM
anon
Usenet poster

Pete wrote:

I like my steaks grilled with coarse salt,

From your mentioning of salt grinders, you seem to be under the
impression that some salts are fresher than others. Since salt is a
preservative, it wouldn't be considered fresh in any sense. But if you
really want coarse, you can always boil down some urine.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Dane Roach
Usenet poster

I just buy the non flavored margarita salt from the booze isle...then just a
pinch and a toss..

"anon" wrote in message
Pete wrote:

I like my steaks grilled with coarse salt,

From your mentioning of salt grinders, you seem to be under the

Old 09-02-2004, 11:08 PM
Michael
Usenet poster

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 18:57:14 GMT, "Michael"
wrote:

Pete wrote:

I like my steaks grilled with coarse salt,

I get mine from an Oriental market.

Salt that is...

Korean markets,especially, have really cheap sea-salt.

Quite correct!!! One of the Oriental markets near our place barters
groceries for live chickens. I raise roosters up to about nine to ten
months old and then trade them to the little Chinese ladies who work their
magic on them. They complain that modern chicken from the stores has no
taste.

Old 10-02-2004, 05:33 AM
Harry Demidavicius
Usenet poster

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 02:48:06 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Pete wrote:
I like my steaks grilled with coarse salt, I have had it this way in a
steak house.

I have an extra peper mill, can I just by salt and grind with this?

I thought the rock salt would be the best, but I read the label on the
back.
Used for icecream and on your sidewalk.

Is this the correct stuff?

Buy a salt mill. Use sea salt. Solar salt is OK but too big for the mill.
DoNOT use rock salt as it will have contaminants. It is not made for food
contact and does not contact the ice cream, only the water (brine) in the
freezer.

Don't buy overpriced sea salt at some fancy gooormet shoppe. Look in the
supermarket or some ethnic markets for it.

Or just use kosher salt.

The cheapest costing sea salt in Calgary comes out of a 'health food'
store.

Harry
Old 10-02-2004, 04:22 PM
ShaneOttawa
Usenet poster

Pete wrote in message . ..
I like my steaks grilled with coarse salt, I have had it this way in a
steak house.

I have an extra peper mill, can I just by salt and grind with this?

Is there a certain type of salt?

I looked in the store and this is what I saw.

Kosher salt is exactly what you need. No need to grind it.

The poster who said not to salt your steak is wrong. Steak isn't on
the grill long enough (even well done) for the salt to affect the
juiciness.

Long time lurker, first time poster, line time griller, the real BBQ
smoker-grill is gonna be in the backyard about two days after the snow
melts sometime in late April.