How many slabs of pork ribs for 20 adults?

Old 01-02-2004, 03:32 AM
Gavin
Usenet poster

Default How many slabs of pork ribs for 20 adults?

I'm having a Super Bowl party and I'm expecting 20 adults. I have 5
racks of pork spare ribs that I plan to do on my WSM. I just had a
scary vision of someone getting to the rib platter after they're all
gone.

Does 5 slabs seem like enough for 20 adults, or should I pick up some
more? I'm doing potato salad and baked beans, too.

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2004, 03:37 AM
BOB
Usenet poster

Gavin wrote:
I'm having a Super Bowl party and I'm expecting 20 adults. I have 5
racks of pork spare ribs that I plan to do on my WSM. I just had a
scary vision of someone getting to the rib platter after they're all
gone.

Does 5 slabs seem like enough for 20 adults, or should I pick up some
more? I'm doing potato salad and baked beans, too.

Thanks!

Depends on the group. You have about 1/4 rack per person. Is that enough for
*you*?

I'd want at least 8, maybe 10 racks for the 20 people. How about supplementing
the ribs with wings?

BOB

Old 01-02-2004, 04:47 AM
JL
Usenet poster

"Gavin" wrote:
I'm having a Super Bowl party and I'm expecting 20 adults. I have 5
racks of pork spare ribs that I plan to do on my WSM. I just had a
scary vision of someone getting to the rib platter after they're all
gone.

Does 5 slabs seem like enough for 20 adults, or should I pick up some
more? I'm doing potato salad and baked beans, too.

Been there....the short answer: It depends on the guests and what else
you are serving.

Assuming we're talking about true full racks, on the average, I figure
1/2 rack per person if I'm serving appetizers and side dishes.

Using rib racks on my WSM, I've crammed 6 racks. I've read/heard
about rolling the racks to get more on, but I haven't tried it.

PS: GO PATS!

Old 01-02-2004, 04:49 AM
Thomas Mooney
Usenet poster

Gavin wrote in message

Does 5 slabs seem like enough for 20 adults, or should I pick up some
more? I'm doing potato salad and baked beans, too.

My experience is that rack sizes vary widely depending on the age/size of
the pig at slaughter and how the racks are trimmed. My butcher's advice
when I asked this question was 1 lb. per person. That works out about right
for our family. If I were you, and wanted to be safe, I'd go 1 1/4 - 1 1/2
lbs. per person. Particularly if you've got a vacuum sealer for the
leftovers.

The "it depends" advice the others have given is quite appropriate. It
depends on the appetites of your guests and it depends on what else you're
serving.

--
TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

Old 01-02-2004, 06:03 AM
bbq
Usenet poster

Gavin wrote:
I'm having a Super Bowl party and I'm expecting 20 adults. I have 5
racks of pork spare ribs that I plan to do on my WSM. I just had a
scary vision of someone getting to the rib platter after they're all
gone.

Does 5 slabs seem like enough for 20 adults, or should I pick up some
more? I'm doing potato salad and baked beans, too.

Thanks!

It probably is enough for a 'meal', but not enough for a 'pig out'. I
wouldn't worry about getting more. Eat and enjoy. There will be enough,
just make sure someone does not load up on the ribs.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Old 01-02-2004, 11:34 AM
Ricky
Usenet poster

"Gavin" wrote in message
I'm having a Super Bowl party and I'm expecting 20 adults. I have 5
racks of pork spare ribs that I plan to do on my WSM. I just had a
scary vision of someone getting to the rib platter after they're all
gone.

Does 5 slabs seem like enough for 20 adults, or should I pick up some
more? I'm doing potato salad and baked beans, too.

First of all, how good are your ribs? If they're real good and the crowd is
mostly men, I would figure AT THE MINIMUM 1/2 a rack per person. Best bet is
to make 15 racks of ribs if that is the only meat or if I'm coming.

Old 01-02-2004, 03:11 PM
Louis Cohen
Usenet poster

If you have an over-40 crowd, many women, or guys watching their waistlines
(although today is one of those special exemption days), you may find that
not too many people eat more than about 3 ribs per person (that is, full
untrimmed spares with the flap left on, and good side dishes). At 14 ribs
per slab, I think you're OK.

If you trim the ribs, or serve back ribs, or many of the guests are guys
under 40, or your sides aren't so popular, you'll need more ribs/person.

Cook plenty, give the leftovers to friends, or vacuum seal and freeze them
until pitchers and catchers report.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

Old 01-02-2004, 04:55 PM
frohe
Usenet poster

Gavin wrote:
I'm having a Super Bowl party and I'm expecting 20 adults. I have 5
racks of pork spare ribs that I plan to do on my WSM. I just had a
scary vision of someone getting to the rib platter after they're all
gone.
Does 5 slabs seem like enough for 20 adults, or should I pick up some
more? I'm doing potato salad and baked beans, too.

Figger half a rack per person; so ya need 10 racks. This is of course if
you're plannin on servin em for a meal. If ya have a bunch more finger
foods like chips and dip and plan for folks to be snackin while they watch
the game, then you might get away with 5 racks but I doubt it if they're
good eatin.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Old 01-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Jack Schidt®
Usenet poster

"frohe" wrote in message
Gavin wrote:
I'm having a Super Bowl party and I'm expecting 20 adults. I have 5
racks of pork spare ribs that I plan to do on my WSM. I just had a
scary vision of someone getting to the rib platter after they're all
gone.
Does 5 slabs seem like enough for 20 adults, or should I pick up some
more? I'm doing potato salad and baked beans, too.

Figger half a rack per person; so ya need 10 racks. This is of course if
you're plannin on servin em for a meal. If ya have a bunch more finger
foods like chips and dip and plan for folks to be snackin while they watch
the game, then you might get away with 5 racks but I doubt it if they're
good eatin.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

I agree, I'd go with the half rack per person. The ribs will disappear
first and then everyone will hover over the sides and what's left.

Jack

Old 01-02-2004, 07:57 PM
Nathan Lau
Usenet poster

Steve Wertz wrote:
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 23:47:29 -0500, "JL"
wrote:

Using rib racks on my WSM, I've crammed 6 racks. I've read/heard
about rolling the racks to get more on, but I haven't tried it.

You haven't seen the pictures in alt.food.binaries today. Nathan
got 17 slabs in his WSM.

tee hee hee ;o)

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include std.disclaimer
Old 01-02-2004, 08:02 PM
BOB
Usenet poster

wrote:

Using rib racks on my WSM, I've crammed 6 racks. I've read/heard
about rolling the racks to get more on, but I haven't tried it.

You haven't seen the pictures in alt.food.binaries today. Nathan
got 17 slabs in his WSM.

tee hee hee ;o)

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include std.disclaimer

Hey Nathan,

How many are left for today?
I bet you already ate more than you planned on...

BOB

Old 01-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Nathan Lau
Usenet poster

BOB wrote:

wrote:

Using rib racks on my WSM, I've crammed 6 racks. I've read/heard
about rolling the racks to get more on, but I haven't tried it.

You haven't seen the pictures in alt.food.binaries today. Nathan
got 17 slabs in his WSM.

tee hee hee ;o)

Hey Nathan,

How many are left for today?
I bet you already ate more than you planned on...

half were consumed at a party on Saturday, half more for today's big game.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include std.disclaimer
Old 01-02-2004, 11:09 PM
BOB
Usenet poster

Nathan Lau wrote:
BOB wrote:

tee hee hee ;o)

Hey Nathan,

How many are left for today?
I bet you already ate more than you planned on...

half were consumed at a party on Saturday, half more for today's big game.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

That's still a lot of will power and control. Maybe it's "won't" power. I
won't eat any because I need them for the party.

BOB

Old 01-02-2004, 11:19 PM
frohe
Usenet poster

Jack Schidt® wrote:
I agree, I'd go with the half rack per person. The ribs will
disappear first and then everyone will hover over the sides and
what's left.

Well, there is another option - get a keg and get em drunk as hell so half
of em are passed out by the time ya serve the ribs. I like this plan since
it means I get more beer and more ribs.
--
-frohe (known to eat a full rack all by hisself.)
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Old 03-02-2004, 11:09 PM
Steve
Usenet poster

Make 30 racks and send the rest my way, to a poor college student

Ribs N' Chicken Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-02-2004 11:32 PM
Pork Hocks (4) Collection Marlene C. Recipes (moderated) 0 13-01-2004 02:13 PM
Pork Carnitas (5) Collection Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 23-12-2003 01:40 AM