nexus

Default lookin for best Brats

https://store.johnsonville.com/
is it good?
Robert

nexus > wrote in news:2004012921080475249%nexus6@maccom:

> https://store.johnsonville.com/

Yes and No!

I live in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Graduated for College at UW-EC with one of
the Heiresses to the Johnsonville Brat's Grand-daughters. Damn she was
Cute! And a millionaire in the waiting....

Are The Brats good?

Yes and No!

Yes as far as STORE baught Brats. Klements also makes Brats, which are much
better and considerably LESS greasy. When compairing Brats, Polish
Sausage, Kielbasa, etc...You should look at how Greasy they are. In My
opinion Klements makes the best "store bought" foods. But you really
should try to make your own....It's Time Consuming but not that
difficult, and the results will be much better!
notbob

On 2004-01-29, nexus > wrote:

> https://store.johnsonville.com/
> is it good?

Depends. Their Beer n' Brats are freakin' excellent. I was instantly
hooked on the damn things. Their other styles are kinda dull.
Unfortunately, for me, the brand has a side effect. When I eat several over
a couple days, I get a flare up of gouty arthritis in my fingers. Took me
awhile to narrow it down to the JV brat's, but that was it. Don't know if
it's because of a high level of organ meats used or maybe some weird
chemical/preservative, but I had to give them up. More's the pity. They
are good eats plain off the grill with a good beer.

nb
Jack Schidt®

"nexus" > wrote in message
> https://store.johnsonville.com/
> is it good?

The local groceries here in CT carry them now. I find them plain, compared
to Karl Ehmer brand or the ones I pick up in NYC at the Forest Pork Store
(which are the best I've had this side of the pond). Schaller & Weber is
another good brand.

There's always homemade, too. Mine are pretty fair, but I just ain't got it
yet. Practice!

Jack

Buzz1

"Robert" > wrote in message
92.32...
> nexus > wrote in news:2004012921080475249%nexus6@maccom:
>
> > https://store.johnsonville.com/

> Yes and No!
>
> I live in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.

And I live in Nekoosa---usually the "best" brats in this neck of the woods
are the ones made at the local grocery(most all make them)--that said much
rather have a "polish" sausage seems most brats are a little lacking in the
zip department for me

Buzz

A lot goes into the cooking..... I'll do the short version here again.
Grill 1/2 way done first, putting on the grill marks and browning.
Now, put in an empty coffee can with your onions or other spices. Fill
with beer and simmer. If you do it the other way, they dry out. If you
simmer 2nd, you can pull a brat out of that hot beer hours later and
it'll be juicy and tasty.

tecwhiz

There's a small butcher shop in Llano, Tx called Miiller's Smokehouse and
Merchantile. they make some smoked brats w or w/o jalepeno that are
awesome. Everytime I travel down there I get requests from co workers,
neighbors and friends to bring them back. Last trip I had to buy 50+ lbs...
Found out they ship as well.
"nexus" > wrote in message
> https://store.johnsonville.com/
> is it good?

M&M

On 29-Jan-2004, "Buzz1" > wrote:

> And I live in Nekoosa---usually the "best" brats in this neck of the woods
> are the ones made at the local grocery(most all make them)--that said much
> rather have a "polish" sausage seems most brats are a little lacking in
> the
> zip department for me
>
> Buzz

Can't fault your opinion there Buzz. But I think you're comparing apples and
oranges. When I have taste for a 'Brat', Polish isn't going to satisfy and
vice
versa. Problem with Brats is that they're more sensitive to preparation and
condiments then is Polish I think.

M&M
Yip Yap

notbob > wrote in message news:<QIeSb.51783$U%5.285876@attbi_s03>...
> On 2004-01-29, nexus > wrote:
>
> > https://store.johnsonville.com/
> > is it good?

> Depends. Their Beer n' Brats are freakin' excellent. I was instantly
> hooked on the damn things. Their other styles are kinda dull.
> Unfortunately, for me, the brand has a side effect. When I eat several over
> a couple days, I get a flare up of gouty arthritis in my fingers. Took me
> awhile to narrow it down to the JV brat's, but that was it. Don't know if
> it's because of a high level of organ meats used or maybe some weird
> chemical/preservative, but I had to give them up.

Do Johnsonville brats contain MSG? It wouldn't surprise me
at all.

Our local source for "Sheboygan brats" is Dittmers,
www.dittmers.com

-- Yip
butch burton

Robert > wrote in message . 192.32>...
> nexus > wrote in news:2004012921080475249%nexus6@maccom:
>
> > https://store.johnsonville.com/

> Yes and No!
>
> I live in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Graduated for College at UW-EC with one of
> the Heiresses to the Johnsonville Brat's Grand-daughters. Damn she was
> Cute! And a millionaire in the waiting....
>
> Are The Brats good?
>
> Yes and No!
>
> Yes as far as STORE baught Brats. Klements also makes Brats, which are much
> better and considerably LESS greasy. When compairing Brats, Polish
> Sausage, Kielbasa, etc...You should look at how Greasy they are. In My
> opinion Klements makes the best "store bought" foods. But you really
> should try to make your own....It's Time Consuming but not that
> difficult, and the results will be much better!

As a unplanned test, heated 2 Klements brats in microwave covered
baking dish and then did 2 Johnsonville brats-the jville brats had
much more grease and water! Klements are very good and also Usinger's
I think are even better. A local Italian deli in Kenosha by the name
of Tenuta's makes their own sausage and sausage links-simply superb.
It is the only "bulk" sausage I can stomach. The stuff you buy in the
supermarkets in those tubular packages are all fat. Used to work as a
butcher-paid way thru highschool and college and made special sausage
for ourselves and the bosses. The customers sausage was loaded with
fat.

Check around for any ethnic butcher shops-had a polish butcher in
Mpls, Khmarchuck's (sp?) sausage to die for. Had breakfast this
morning with a Pole and a Russian-told them about the sausage in
Khmarchuck's and the Pole knew the stuff, even the name and the
Russian gal said yes they had the same in Russia.

M&M

On 29-Jan-2004, nexus > wrote:

> https://store.johnsonville.com/
> is it good?

Johnsonville are tollerable, but Usinger from Milwaukee
are better. I have a bunch of the smooth German style
brats, (veal & Pork) in my freezer. They are my choice
of brats.

http://www.usinger.com/

--
M&M (Now is I could just find a source for the German
style bratwurst buns)