Pete

Default Using my gas grill for some ribs

I have tried a few times to make some ribs on my cheap gas grill...

no luck...
4 hours of indirect cooking was chard junk.

I did country ribs baked, then grilled. These were OK.

I would like to make some ribs for my wife on Valentines day...

Give me some suggestions.. either baby back or country.

M&M

On 27-Jan-2004, Pete > wrote:

> I have tried a few times to make some ribs on my cheap gas grill...
>
> no luck...
> 4 hours of indirect cooking was chard junk.

Regardless of all other variables, when they're done, take 'em
off. Many people here talk about 4 to 6 hours to get ribs done.
Mine are usually done in 2 or three. I cook between 200 and
250F. Go figure. I've killed a few by watching the clock instead
of the meat. Bad procedure.

> I did country ribs baked, then grilled. These were OK.

You didn't say what you were cooking on or how you set it
up. If you're using a kettle, build a 'LITTLE' fire on one side
and put your meat on the other. Put the lid on. If water
dances on the lid, it's too damn hot. Slow sizzle is okay.
Don't know why you'd bake first and then grill. Might just as
well have broiled them for all the smoke you're going to get.

> I would like to make some ribs for my wife on Valentines day...
>
> Give me some suggestions.. either baby back or country.

Either one. Smoke them anywhere from 200 to 300. Just make
sure you take them off when they're done. Grill 'em if that's all
you can do, just get them off in time. The only way to truly
screw up ribs that I know of is to overcook them. Some people
mop. Some don't. Some people pull the mebrane off of spares.
(I never can get the damn thing to come off) Other people don't
bother.

M&M
Pete

I fired up one side of the gas grill, with wet wood chips in my box.

The other side was the ribs. I was trying to in-direct cook them
Didn't work.

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 03:57:37 GMT, "M&M" >
wrote:

>On 27-Jan-2004, Pete > wrote:
>
>> I have tried a few times to make some ribs on my cheap gas grill...
>>
>> no luck...
>> 4 hours of indirect cooking was chard junk.

>Regardless of all other variables, when they're done, take 'em
>off. Many people here talk about 4 to 6 hours to get ribs done.
>Mine are usually done in 2 or three. I cook between 200 and
>250F. Go figure. I've killed a few by watching the clock instead
>of the meat. Bad procedure.
>

>> I did country ribs baked, then grilled. These were OK.

>You didn't say what you were cooking on or how you set it
>up. If you're using a kettle, build a 'LITTLE' fire on one side
>and put your meat on the other. Put the lid on. If water
>dances on the lid, it's too damn hot. Slow sizzle is okay.
>Don't know why you'd bake first and then grill. Might just as
>well have broiled them for all the smoke you're going to get.
>

>> I would like to make some ribs for my wife on Valentines day...
>>
>> Give me some suggestions.. either baby back or country.

>Either one. Smoke them anywhere from 200 to 300. Just make
>sure you take them off when they're done. Grill 'em if that's all
>you can do, just get them off in time. The only way to truly
>screw up ribs that I know of is to overcook them. Some people
>mop. Some don't. Some people pull the mebrane off of spares.
>(I never can get the damn thing to come off) Other people don't
>bother.
>
>M&M

Bob Hayden

Pete,

Ok, this is "cheating" but it works and makes some great tasting quasi-BBQ
ribs.
First, boil them....oops...just kidding.

Seriously, I use this for baby back ribs and they turn out great.
Season the ribs with a good rub and bake in a 225-250 oven for 4-6 hours.
Wrap and refrigerate if needed until ready.
Grill on your gas grill 10-20 minutes medium heat to finish off and get a
nice crust, applying "mop" sauce as desired.

This method renders a lot of the fat out without losing all the flavor. The
keys are good quality meat and a good rub. I never knew how good ribs could
be until I discovered the whole dry rub thing 10 years ago. It also involves
very little time where supervision is needed. I like to put the tibs in the
oven before bedtime, tak 'em out in the morning and refrigerate, and then
dinner only takes about 15 minutes to prepare after work. Can't beat that!

Bob in RSM, CA

"Pete" > wrote in message
> I have tried a few times to make some ribs on my cheap gas grill...
>
> no luck...
> 4 hours of indirect cooking was chard junk.
>

> I did country ribs baked, then grilled. These were OK.
>
> I would like to make some ribs for my wife on Valentines day...
>
> Give me some suggestions.. either baby back or country.

Jack Curry

Bob Hayden wrote:
> Pete,
>
> Ok, this is "cheating" but it works and makes some great tasting
> quasi-BBQ ribs.
> First, boil them....oops...just kidding.
>
> Seriously, I use this for baby back ribs and they turn out great.
> Season the ribs with a good rub and bake in a 225-250 oven for 4-6
> hours. Wrap and refrigerate if needed until ready.
> Grill on your gas grill 10-20 minutes medium heat to finish off and
> get a nice crust, applying "mop" sauce as desired.
>
> This method renders a lot of the fat out without losing all the
> flavor. The keys are good quality meat and a good rub. I never knew
> how good ribs could be until I discovered the whole dry rub thing 10
> years ago. It also involves very little time where supervision is
> needed. I like to put the tibs in the oven before bedtime, tak 'em
> out in the morning and refrigerate, and then dinner only takes about
> 15 minutes to prepare after work. Can't beat that!
>
> Bob in RSM, CA

I can beat it by about ten miles by cooking ribs on a real fire made of lump
charcoal and wood. You seem to miss a very important point, which is that
meat absorbs almost all of its smoke flavor during the initial hour or two
of cooking, so your ribs have little or none. If you want "easy," buy a
McRib sandwich. If you want "good," barbecue your ribs on a real, slow
fire.
Jack Curry

Bob Hayden

Jack,

I heartily agree, but the poster also said GAS grill...and this is my
preferred merthod when I need to use the gas grill...essentially just
finishing them off.

I'll take "real" fire any day!

Bob
"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
. com...
> Bob Hayden wrote:
> > Pete,
> >
> > Ok, this is "cheating" but it works and makes some great tasting
> > quasi-BBQ ribs.
> > First, boil them....oops...just kidding.
> >
> > Seriously, I use this for baby back ribs and they turn out great.
> > Season the ribs with a good rub and bake in a 225-250 oven for 4-6
> > hours. Wrap and refrigerate if needed until ready.
> > Grill on your gas grill 10-20 minutes medium heat to finish off and
> > get a nice crust, applying "mop" sauce as desired.
> >
> > This method renders a lot of the fat out without losing all the
> > flavor. The keys are good quality meat and a good rub. I never knew
> > how good ribs could be until I discovered the whole dry rub thing 10
> > years ago. It also involves very little time where supervision is
> > needed. I like to put the tibs in the oven before bedtime, tak 'em
> > out in the morning and refrigerate, and then dinner only takes about
> > 15 minutes to prepare after work. Can't beat that!
> >
> > Bob in RSM, CA
> >

> I can beat it by about ten miles by cooking ribs on a real fire made of

lump
> charcoal and wood. You seem to miss a very important point, which is that
> meat absorbs almost all of its smoke flavor during the initial hour or two
> of cooking, so your ribs have little or none. If you want "easy," buy a
> McRib sandwich. If you want "good," barbecue your ribs on a real, slow
> fire.
> Jack Curry

Default User

Pete wrote:

> I have tried a few times to make some ribs on my cheap gas grill...
>
> no luck...
> 4 hours of indirect cooking was chard junk.

If they were charred, then your heat was too high. You need a
thermometer to determine with the temp is on that side of the grill.

Brian Rodenborn
Nathan Lau

Pete wrote:
> I have tried a few times to make some ribs on my cheap gas grill...
> no luck...
> 4 hours of indirect cooking was chard junk.

Before I got my WSM, I used a cheap Sunbeam gas grill to do indirect
cooking of ribs. I used an oven thermometer to measure the temperature
at the grate. Even with one burner down low, it was never lower than 275*.

Usually pulled the ribs after 1.5 hrs, maybe 2. Never over 3 hours.
YMMV, but I'd start checking for doneness at 1.5.

> I did country ribs baked, then grilled. These were OK.
>
> I would like to make some ribs for my wife on Valentines day...
>
> Give me some suggestions.. either baby back or country.

Country style ribs aren't ribs at all, but a cut up bone-in pork butt.
Good for grilling, not as good for low and slow.
--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
midocr

Before I got my smoker and started doin' ribs the right way, I used my
gas grill. Rub the ribs with your favorite rub (do this the night
before if possible). Add your preferred wood chips to a cast iron
smoker box and place it directly over the burner you will light. Place
an old cookie sheet on the cooking grates to deflect the heat. Light 1
(one) burner and turn it to lowest. Place the ribs on the warming
racks. Spray or mop about every 45 - 60 minutes. 4 - 5 hours later, eat!

See ya,
Mike

"It is never too late to become what you might have been." - George Eliot

Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:39:03 GMT, midocr > wrote:

>Before I got my smoker and started doin' ribs the right way, I used my
>gas grill. Rub the ribs with your favorite rub (do this the night
>before if possible). Add your preferred wood chips to a cast iron
>smoker box and place it directly over the burner you will light. Place
>an old cookie sheet on the cooking grates to deflect the heat. Light 1
>(one) burner and turn it to lowest. Place the ribs on the warming
>racks. Spray or mop about every 45 - 60 minutes. 4 - 5 hours later, eat!

I cooked ribs for years this way. It does work. I usually soaked the
wood chips to keep them from igniting. Instead of a smoker box, I used
aluminum or tin pie plates.

BTW, those pie plates get hot VERY fast. Don't try to move them with a
bare hand, no matter how little time has past since you put them on
the burner. And don't ask me how I know this.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho

Johnny

"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
. com...
> Bob Hayden wrote:
> > Pete,
> >
> > Ok, this is "cheating" but it works and makes some great tasting
> > quasi-BBQ ribs.
> > First, boil them....oops...just kidding.
> >
> > Seriously, I use this for baby back ribs and they turn out great.
> > Season the ribs with a good rub and bake in a 225-250 oven for 4-6
> > hours. Wrap and refrigerate if needed until ready.
> > Grill on your gas grill 10-20 minutes medium heat to finish off and
> > get a nice crust, applying "mop" sauce as desired.
> >
> > This method renders a lot of the fat out without losing all the
> > flavor. The keys are good quality meat and a good rub. I never knew
> > how good ribs could be until I discovered the whole dry rub thing 10
> > years ago. It also involves very little time where supervision is
> > needed. I like to put the tibs in the oven before bedtime, tak 'em
> > out in the morning and refrigerate, and then dinner only takes about
> > 15 minutes to prepare after work. Can't beat that!
> >
> > Bob in RSM, CA
> >

> I can beat it by about ten miles by cooking ribs on a real fire made of

lump
> charcoal and wood. You seem to miss a very important point, which is that
> meat absorbs almost all of its smoke flavor during the initial hour or two
> of cooking, so your ribs have little or none. If you want "easy," buy a
> McRib sandwich. If you want "good," barbecue your ribs on a real, slow
> fire.
> Jack Curry

If you want smoke taste, just pour it out of a bottle.

lol

AG

I used to do ribs on the grill, too. I found that the grill ran too hot even
with one burner on low. I put a couple of fire bricks over the lava rocks
and let them heat up for a while before adding the meat. This way I could
turn off the burner every so often to moderate the temp and get an average
of about 225 with no peak above 250. I also never let it fall below 200. It
took more work but I didn't get dry ribs.

ag

Pete

From all of your great posts, this is what I am going to try...

Baby back ribs.
Prepare the ribs with a rub the night before
Place my wood smoker with wet chips on the left burner
Place a cookie sheet on top of the grate.
Place the ribs on the right warming rack.
Turn the left burner on as low as it will go.
Check in 1.5 hours.
Serve with sauce at the table.

How will I know when they are done?

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:55:34 -0600, Pete > wrote:

>I have tried a few times to make some ribs on my cheap gas grill...
>
>no luck...
>4 hours of indirect cooking was chard junk.
>

>I did country ribs baked, then grilled. These were OK.
>
>I would like to make some ribs for my wife on Valentines day...
>
>Give me some suggestions.. either baby back or country.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:54:33 -0600, Pete > wrote:

>From all of your great posts, this is what I am going to try...
>
>Baby back ribs.
>Prepare the ribs with a rub the night before
>Place my wood smoker with wet chips on the left burner
>Place a cookie sheet on top of the grate.
>Place the ribs on the right warming rack.
>Turn the left burner on as low as it will go.
>Check in 1.5 hours.
>Serve with sauce at the table.
>
>How will I know when they are done?

Bend the ribs back on themselves. When they "break" in the middle of
the bend, they're done. Also, another indication of doneness is when
the meat pulls back from the bone, revealing a 1/2" of bone tip.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Pete

I chickened out and didn't use my grill, too cold today.

I made up a dry rub and let the ribs sit over night

I placed 2 slabs of ribs on a cookie sheet
Set the oven to 225, measured with my oven thermometer.

Every hour I used some mop sauce on them.

It has now been 4 hours, they aren't pulling away from the bone.
Turned up the heat to 250

It has now been 6 hours, I cut the end off one of them (I am getting
hungry now)
They taste great, but are not pulling from the bone, they have to be
chewed from the bone.
They are very juicy.
I am going to leave them in till my wife gets home (1 more hour)
then 15 min on the grill

Is this normal??

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 05:04:01 GMT, "Bob Hayden" >
wrote:

>Pete,
>
>Ok, this is "cheating" but it works and makes some great tasting quasi-BBQ
>ribs.
>First, boil them....oops...just kidding.
>
>Seriously, I use this for baby back ribs and they turn out great.
>Season the ribs with a good rub and bake in a 225-250 oven for 4-6 hours.
>Wrap and refrigerate if needed until ready.
>Grill on your gas grill 10-20 minutes medium heat to finish off and get a
>nice crust, applying "mop" sauce as desired.
>
>This method renders a lot of the fat out without losing all the flavor. The
>keys are good quality meat and a good rub. I never knew how good ribs could
>be until I discovered the whole dry rub thing 10 years ago. It also involves
>very little time where supervision is needed. I like to put the tibs in the
>oven before bedtime, tak 'em out in the morning and refrigerate, and then
>dinner only takes about 15 minutes to prepare after work. Can't beat that!
>
>Bob in RSM, CA
>

>"Pete" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I have tried a few times to make some ribs on my cheap gas grill...
>>
>> no luck...
>> 4 hours of indirect cooking was chard junk.
>>

>> I did country ribs baked, then grilled. These were OK.
>>
>> I would like to make some ribs for my wife on Valentines day...
>>
>> Give me some suggestions.. either baby back or country.

F.G. Whitfurrows

"Pete" > wrote in message
> I chickened out and didn't use my grill, too cold today.
>
> I made up a dry rub and let the ribs sit over night
>
> I placed 2 slabs of ribs on a cookie sheet
> Set the oven to 225, measured with my oven thermometer.
>
> Every hour I used some mop sauce on them.
>
> It has now been 4 hours, they aren't pulling away from the bone.
> Turned up the heat to 250
>
> It has now been 6 hours, I cut the end off one of them (I am getting
> hungry now)
> They taste great, but are not pulling from the bone, they have to be
> chewed from the bone.
> They are very juicy.
> I am going to leave them in till my wife gets home (1 more hour)
> then 15 min on the grill
>
> Is this normal??

Oh..its about normal for Seattle.

--