Donna Judson

Default Cast Iron Grill Maintenance

I have a grill with a set of cast iron grates. I seasoned the grill grates
as recommended. But as much as I try to oil and keep them oiled after use,
they still have rusted, particularly where the heat of the coals is the
hottest. They grilled so nice when I first got them last year, but now they
impart a grittiness to my steaks (rust particles -- high in iron!), and they
are flaking as well.

Before I look for chrome replacements, is there a way to keep this from
happening with cast iron?

Dave

"Donna Judson" > wrote in message

| Before I look for chrome replacements, is there a way to keep this from
| happening with cast iron?

I have cast iron on my grill and follow a ritual that have left them very
well seasoned and performing well for me (this also works with my steel
grate grill). This is the process I follow after the initial seasonings:

Light grill and allow to heat to max (this burns anything left on the grates
to an easy-to-remove crisp.
Use a brass-bristled brush to scrap the crispy remains from the grates.
Turn the heat down to lowest setting
Apply a thin coating of peanut oil to the grate
return the heat to cooking degree
cook as usual
When done, knock off any big chunky remains, but leave the coating of grease
on the grates (this is like a rust-resistant protective coating)

Next time you're ready to cook, repeat the above steps. The high heat burn
off in the first step will protect you from any nasty rancid remains on the
grates so you needn't worry about picking up a bug. The more you use your
grill, you'll find the less oil you need to coat. I like to live dangerously
so I use a spray bottle and lay a few squirts on my grates rather than wipe
on.

CSS

"Donna Judson" > wrote in message
> I have a grill with a set of cast iron grates. I seasoned the grill

grates
> as recommended. But as much as I try to oil and keep them oiled after

use,
> they still have rusted, particularly where the heat of the coals is the
> hottest. They grilled so nice when I first got them last year, but now

they
> impart a grittiness to my steaks (rust particles -- high in iron!), and

they
> are flaking as well.
>
> Before I look for chrome replacements, is there a way to keep this from
> happening with cast iron?

If you run the grill so hot as to burn off the coating, you will need to
reseason often. On my Weber gas, I season yearly, and the only problems I
have had are when I run it so hot the coating burns.

Reg

--Shiva-- wrote:

> I got cast iron on a charcoal, and as soon as I am done cooking,
> brush off any stuck stuff, and ASAP pull them off the fire, when
> cooled further then can brush more if needed, and oil right
> then... havent had any rust now in 2 eyars.

This is way too much work. I blast em with high heat before cooking,
then brush em hard. No rust ever after many years, maybe because
I keep it in constant use.

Life is too short, as they say.

Monroe, of course...

In article > , Reg
> wrote:

> --Shiva-- wrote:
>
> > I got cast iron on a charcoal, and as soon as I am done cooking,
> > brush off any stuck stuff, and ASAP pull them off the fire, when
> > cooled further then can brush more if needed, and oil right
> > then... havent had any rust now in 2 eyars.

> This is way too much work. I blast em with high heat before cooking,
> then brush em hard. No rust ever after many years, maybe because
> I keep it in constant use.

The usual cause of rusted cast iron grates is that they're too clean.
Seasoning is essentially a layer of carbon which is thick enough to be
waterproof.
Brushing before cooking is how I do it, too-as the grill is heating up
(3-400F range).
Spraying oil onto the brush is also a way to apply it to the grill.

monroe(yOILmmv)

JL

"Reg" > wrote:
> --Shiva-- wrote:
>
> > I got cast iron on a charcoal, and as soon as I am done cooking,
> > brush off any stuck stuff, and ASAP pull them off the fire, when
> > cooled further then can brush more if needed, and oil right
> > then... havent had any rust now in 2 eyars.

> This is way too much work. I blast em with high heat before cooking,
> then brush em hard. No rust ever after many years, maybe because
> I keep it in constant use.

You spoke of my situation.

The only time I had rust was when I followed the advice on
the virtual WSM web site to blast the WSM grates on the gasser to clean
them.

The high-heat-metal-on-metal situation caused the hard-earned
seasoning on the cast irons to flake off to reveal a rusty mess.

Yip Yap

"Donna Judson" > wrote in message >...
> I have a grill with a set of cast iron grates. I seasoned the grill grates
> as recommended. But as much as I try to oil and keep them oiled after use,
> they still have rusted, particularly where the heat of the coals is the
> hottest. They grilled so nice when I first got them last year, but now they
> impart a grittiness to my steaks (rust particles -- high in iron!), and they
> are flaking as well.
>
> Before I look for chrome replacements, is there a way to keep this from
> happening with cast iron?

That matches my experience -- putting cast iron over
very hot coals burns off the seasoning. I always
re-coat with cooking spray as soon as the grate gets
cool enough to do so. It's important to never let
the rust get much beyond that point.

I try to avoid the burn-off problem by taking
out the grate over the hot part of the fire
unless I'm cooking on it. Also, I find that
starting a fire under the grate is a sure way
to burn off the seasoning. I've got the Bar-B-Chef
charcoal grill, and taking out one of the four
grates is easy.

-- Yip
Pierre

(Yip Yap) wrote in message . com>...
> "Donna Judson" > wrote in message >...
> > I have a grill with a set of cast iron grates. I seasoned the grill grates
> > as recommended. But as much as I try to oil and keep them oiled after use,
> > they still have rusted, particularly where the heat of the coals is the
> > hottest. They grilled so nice when I first got them last year, but now they
> > impart a grittiness to my steaks (rust particles -- high in iron!), and they
> > are flaking as well.
> >
> > Before I look for chrome replacements, is there a way to keep this from
> > happening with cast iron?

> That matches my experience -- putting cast iron over
> very hot coals burns off the seasoning. I always
> re-coat with cooking spray as soon as the grate gets
> cool enough to do so. It's important to never let
> the rust get much beyond that point.
>
> I try to avoid the burn-off problem by taking
> out the grate over the hot part of the fire
> unless I'm cooking on it. Also, I find that
> starting a fire under the grate is a sure way
> to burn off the seasoning. I've got the Bar-B-Chef
> charcoal grill, and taking out one of the four
> grates is easy.
>
> -- Yip

First thing I cooked upon cast iron grates was a turkey, lots of
grease permeated the grates and was always seasoned until I started
using lump coal, and grilling steaks hot and it was, hence burning off
the seasoning.
Do, use these grates for some slow and greasy cooking from time to
time.
They will thank you for it. My first set lasted 10 years before being
replaced.