Hound's Citrus Brine

Old 23-12-2003, 10:17 PM
JohnG
Usenet poster

Default Hound's Citrus Brine

I have a 20lb turkey that I'm going to use Hound's brine on, can I
safely double every item the list or should I double some items and
just increase the amount of salt and peppers slightly?

Thanks

JohnG
Old 23-12-2003, 11:21 PM
BOB
Usenet poster

JohnG wrote:
I have a 20lb turkey that I'm going to use Hound's brine on, can I
safely double every item the list or should I double some items and
just increase the amount of salt and peppers slightly?

Thanks

JohnG

I'd double everything. (I'm guessing you mean the water, too?)
Last year I used an adaptation of Hound's brine and it was great. Just
remember to rinse the brine off and let the skin dry a little before you
cook.

BOB

Old 24-12-2003, 03:38 AM
JohnG
Usenet poster

I'd double everything. (I'm guessing you mean the water, too?)

Definately will double the water. I hope 2 gal. will be enough to
cover the bird completely.

Last year I used an adaptation of Hound's brine and it was great. Just
remember to rinse the brine off and let the skin dry a little before you
cook.
BOB

What modifications did you make?

JohnG
Old 24-12-2003, 04:26 AM
BOB
Usenet poster

JohnG wrote:
I'd double everything. (I'm guessing you mean the water, too?)

Definately will double the water. I hope 2 gal. will be enough to
cover the bird completely.

Last year I used an adaptation of Hound's brine and it was great.
Just remember to rinse the brine off and let the skin dry a little
before you cook.
BOB

What modifications did you make?

JohnG

You don't expect me to remember all the way back to Thanksgiving of 2002 do
you??
(I'm looking)

BOB

Old 24-12-2003, 05:21 AM
BOB
Usenet poster

JohnG typed:
I'd double everything. (I'm guessing you mean the water, too?)

Definately will double the water. I hope 2 gal. will be enough to
cover the bird completely.

Last year I used an adaptation of Hound's brine and it was great. Just
remember to rinse the brine off and let the skin dry a little before you
cook.
BOB

What modifications did you make?

JohnG

Best I can figure, it was close to this:

The turkey was a 12 pound "Fresh frozen, contains no artificial ingredients
and is not more than minimally processed."
Bucket wouldn't fit in the refrigerator, so I put it in a cooler with 15# of
ice. Temperatures were *not* the Canadian type, so it was cooler inside with
the air conditioner running.

1 qt of water
about 1/2 cup Kosher salt
boil water 'til most of salt is dissolved
about 1/4 cup Morton's Tender Quick
stir 'til you can't dissolve any more
add 1/2 gallon water and stir
most of the solids are dissolved, but it's still too warm
add ice to make slightly more than 1 gallon liquid
add juice from 6 large oranges and the orange peels and pulp
add juice from 2 lemons and the pulp and peels
add juice from 3 limes (fresh from the tree) and the peels and the pulp
add 1 chopped red onion
about 5 cloves of crushed garlic
"this much looks good" chipotle powder (2 Tbs?)
grind in black pepper 'til it pretty much covers the top of the liquid
pour it over the turkey in the bucket
figured about right, it covers the turkey by about 3/4 inch

To continue the citrus theme, I stuffed the turkey with oranges, cut into
eighths, lemons and limes, quartered, minced garlic, and chopped red onions.
Next, I rubbed the skin with olive oil and put it on a turkey stand.
Maybe I should have said that mine was *INSPIRED* by Hounds Brine, not an
adapted version.
I made it in 3 1/2 gallon bucket, lined with one of those "bake-in-a-bags"

Old 26-12-2003, 03:28 AM
JohnG
Usenet poster

I have a 20lb turkey that I'm going to use Hound's brine on, can I
safely double every item the list or should I double some items and
just increase the amount of salt and peppers slightly?
Thanks
JohnG

Hound's brine was a huge success. Doubled up on everything and let it
sit about 20 hours in the brine. After brine, rinsed and let it sit in
the fridge about an hour. Cooked up nice and juicey. Guest loved it.

JohnG

Hounds Brine BUDWORTH Barbecue 3 25-11-2003 05:49 PM
Questions on Hound's Brine Barry Barbecue 3 17-11-2003 06:00 PM