BUDWORTH

Default Hounds Brine

I am seeing a lot of references to Hounds Brine. Can anyone point me in the
direction of this reciepe. Would like to consider it for the thanksgiving bird.
Many thanks.
ken
Nathan Lau

BUDWORTH wrote:

> I am seeing a lot of references to Hounds Brine. Can anyone point me in the
> direction of this reciepe. Would like to consider it for the thanksgiving bird.
> Many thanks.

Google is your friend. All hail the Hound!

*****************************
Hound's Citrus Brined Chicken

Prepare the brine:
1 gallon water
1 cup Kosher salt or 1/2 cup table salt
juice of 3 oranges
juice of three limes
juice of three lemons
rinds from same
1 sliced white onion
1 head of garlic, crushed
stems from a bunch of cilantro, chopped
serranos to taste, minimum of 4
rough ground cumin and coriander 2 Tbsp each
1/4 cup chili powder or any ground chile you prefer
(1/4 cup onion powder is optional)
(1/4cup garlic powder is optional)

Place the bird(s) and plenty of brine solution in a ziploc bag(s) and
leave refrigerated overnight prior to cooking. A cooler works fine also.
I use a 5 gal beverage cooler for all but the biggest turkeys. Frozen
soda bottles, or ice can be used to keep the cold. {8 lbs of ice= 1
gallon of water} An hour before cooking take the bird out and
thoroughly wash it down with cold water for at least 30 seconds. You
can place aromatics like garlic heads, apples, citrus in the cavity of
the bird for the cooking. I like also to place orange slices between
skin and meat. Smoke rear end of chicken toward the fire for 45
minutes/lb @ 225°F until the thigh is about 170°F. You can rotate as
necessary to avoid charring. Cooking this way will result in inedible
skin, but juicy chicken. If you like the crispy skin then place the
chicken near the firebox. This works for either chickens or turkeys.
If you eliminate the brine (salt and water) the rest of the recipe makes
an excellent marinade for grilled chicken.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

BUDWORTH

Thanks for the quick response. They both look good. May have to get two
turkeys.
Ken

Food Hounds: Tidbits - Rachael Ray Giveaway Luscious General Cooking 2 23-01-2012 07:02 PM
To brine or not to brine? Stark General Cooking 14 22-11-2005 12:40 AM
Brine RW Barbecue 39 12-11-2004 12:44 PM
Pork Shoulder - To Brine Or Not To Brine ... fatsam Barbecue 10 17-09-2004 04:51 PM
Fat Man Brine Willsey Barbecue 3 19-02-2004 05:38 PM