Turkey - Amount per person?

Old 21-11-2003, 02:42 PM
Barry
Usenet poster

Default Turkey - Amount per person?

I've seen suggestions ranging from 1/2 to 3/4# per person.
Wife who over does everything food related says no way. She insists
that turkey's have too much waste for that calculation. She suggest
(insists)
that our 11 person gathering will require an 18# bird.
Don't know how she does the math, but that's her majic number.
Been married long enough to know that one must pick their battles.

Old 21-11-2003, 02:48 PM
Larry Noah
Usenet poster

In article k.net, "Barry"
writes:

I've seen suggestions ranging from 1/2 to 3/4# per person.
Wife who over does everything food related says no way. She insists
that turkey's have too much waste for that calculation. She suggest
(insists)
that our 11 person gathering will require an 18# bird.
Don't know how she does the math, but that's her majic number.
Been married long enough to know that one must pick their battles.

My wife calculates like your does. But, she insists on sending some home with
everyone. If none were to be wasted I would just let her do the math her way.

Larry Noah

Old 21-11-2003, 03:17 PM
BOB
Usenet poster

"Barry" wrote...
I've seen suggestions ranging from 1/2 to 3/4# per person.
Wife who over does everything food related says no way. She insists
that turkey's have too much waste for that calculation. She suggest
(insists)
that our 11 person gathering will require an 18# bird.
Don't know how she does the math, but that's her majic number.
Been married long enough to know that one must pick their battles.

Your way works for the meat, not including the bones.
I've heard from 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds per person for turkey.

BOB

Old 21-11-2003, 03:49 PM
Jack Schidt®
Usenet poster

"Barry" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I've seen suggestions ranging from 1/2 to 3/4# per person.
Wife who over does everything food related says no way. She insists
that turkey's have too much waste for that calculation. She suggest
(insists)
that our 11 person gathering will require an 18# bird.
Don't know how she does the math, but that's her majic number.
Been married long enough to know that one must pick their battles.

Your wife is correct. Now shaddup and go buy the big bird.

Jack

Old 21-11-2003, 06:30 PM
bbq
Usenet poster

Barry wrote:

I've seen suggestions ranging from 1/2 to 3/4# per person.
Wife who over does everything food related says no way. She insists
that turkey's have too much waste for that calculation. She suggest
(insists)
that our 11 person gathering will require an 18# bird.
Don't know how she does the math, but that's her majic number.
Been married long enough to know that one must pick their battles.

Suggestions I have seen for turkey are 1# or more per person. Turkey
dinner is one of those meals where people cook anticipating left overs.
With 11 people and an 18# bird, your sure to have leftovers.

Never been married, but do agree that one must pick their battles. It
sounds as though you are going to let your wife decide what size bird to
have. Since it is plenty, it is not worth an argument IMO. The positive
side of this is the 18# will hold more stuffing. Stuffing cooked in the
bird is better than stuffing cooked in the oven.

Enjoy the leftovers!!!!!!

BBQ

Old 21-11-2003, 07:06 PM
Barry
Usenet poster

"bbq" wrote in message

Barry wrote:

[...]

Well you're correct in thinking that I'm going with the flow on this.
My concern is about how large of a bird will fit in the large BGE?
We never stuff a smoked bird. I've believed all the advise opposing it.

Old 21-11-2003, 07:42 PM
bbq
Usenet poster

Barry wrote:

Well you're correct in thinking that I'm going with the flow on this.
My concern is about how large of a bird will fit in the large BGE?
We never stuff a smoked bird. I've believed all the advise opposing it.

I have heard the same. You don't stuff turkey that is going to be
smoked. Potential of salmonella poisoning I think.

The BGE site says the large BGE will hold a 15# plus size turkey. So an
18# probably will fit, but it will be close is my guess. An 18# turkey
is on the smaller end of a large turkey. It's when you get to 20-22#,
that large is large.

Get the bird and put it in the BGE, still wrapped and see how it fits.
If it's too large, think of other alternatives. Spatchcocking works well
for turkeys from what others around here say.

Enjoy!!!!! And post pics too.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Old 21-11-2003, 07:56 PM
Dimitri
Usenet poster

"Barry" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I've seen suggestions ranging from 1/2 to 3/4# per person.
Wife who over does everything food related says no way. She insists
that turkey's have too much waste for that calculation. She suggest
(insists)
that our 11 person gathering will require an 18# bird.
Don't know how she does the math, but that's her majic number.
Been married long enough to know that one must pick their battles.

Click here for the Butterball Turkey and stuffing calculator.

Dimitri

http://www.butterball.com/en/main_ca...n_prep&s1=plan

Old 21-11-2003, 09:19 PM
Steve
Usenet poster

"Jack Schidt®" wrote in message .com...
"Barry" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I've seen suggestions ranging from 1/2 to 3/4# per person.
Wife who over does everything food related says no way. She insists
that turkey's have too much waste for that calculation. She suggest
(insists)
that our 11 person gathering will require an 18# bird.
Don't know how she does the math, but that's her majic number.
Been married long enough to know that one must pick their battles.

Whole turkeys should yeild approximately 40% edible meat, I would get
a 2nd smaller bird that can be carved for left-overs.

Steve
Old 21-11-2003, 09:52 PM
Barry
Usenet poster

Thanks all.
I've given in to the wife as I always do.
Instead of the 14-15 pounder I had planed on, we
will get a 16-18# bird for the egg. Plus she will do an
extra breast in the oven.
Now we'll see which one is more sucessful. I'm betting on the Egg.
"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:42:16 GMT, "Barry"
wrote:

I've seen suggestions ranging from 1/2 to 3/4# per person.
Wife who over does everything food related says no way. She insists
that turkey's have too much waste for that calculation. She suggest
(insists)
that our 11 person gathering will require an 18# bird.
Don't know how she does the math, but that's her majic number.
Been married long enough to know that one must pick their battles.

A 6-8lb turkey isn't very festive.

-sw

Old 22-11-2003, 06:14 AM
Harry Demidavicius
Usenet poster

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:49:57 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
wrote:

"Barry" wrote in message
thlink.net...
I've seen suggestions ranging from 1/2 to 3/4# per person.
Wife who over does everything food related says no way. She insists
that turkey's have too much waste for that calculation. She suggest
(insists)
that our 11 person gathering will require an 18# bird.
Don't know how she does the math, but that's her majic number.
Been married long enough to know that one must pick their battles.

Your wife is correct. Now shaddup and go buy the big bird.

Jack

I agree with Jack "shaddup and go buy the big bird."

Harry
Old 24-11-2003, 06:05 AM
BOB
Usenet poster

Barry typed:

Well you're correct in thinking that I'm going with the flow on this.
My concern is about how large of a bird will fit in the large BGE?
We never stuff a smoked bird. I've believed all the advise opposing it.

Barry,

Follow this link and ask there. Not trying to brush you off, but these guys and
gals are the "eggsperts" when it comes to Green Egg specific questions. They are
(mostly) a great bunch of people, too. I've met a lot of them in the real world,
and while I can't agree on their choice of color (yours either vbg) they know
their cookers. You won't get shot if you tell 'em that I sent you over. (over
there, I'm BobinFla)

http://www.biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.shtml

BOB

Old 24-11-2003, 02:35 PM
Barry
Usenet poster

Well Bob, I posted the question for max size of turkey to fit in a BGE. I
received no responses. Not even a heckle.
Barry typed:

Old 24-11-2003, 08:09 PM
BOB
Usenet poster

"Barry" wrote in message
link.net...
Well Bob, I posted the question for max size of turkey to fit in a BGE. I
received no responses. Not even a heckle.

I can't find your post (yet, I'm still looking).
When did you post it , time too as close as you can. And the name you used on that
forum.
When I find it, I'll get 'em started, as nicely as I can.

They are really great people. I just think it was lost in the shuffle with
regulars returning from competitions, etc.

BOB

Old 24-11-2003, 09:04 PM
BOB
Usenet poster

Barry typed:
Well Bob, I posted the question for max size of turkey to fit in a BGE. I
received no responses. Not even a heckle.

Barry,

I found your post. I still think it was lost in their shuffle.

I started another thread "Help a fellow Egger Before he gets bad advise from
PWNUABGE"

Go back, click on the "Last 25 posts" and you'll probably find the thread.
Introduce yourself, tell 'em how you don't get a lot of specific help anyplace
else.

Also, read through the other posts that talk about Thanksgiving and or turkeys.
Your answer might already be out there. I'm betting that a 16 pounder will fit.

Good luck!

BOB
getting ready to go find my turkey that will be brined in Mojo Crillo plus more
salt and OJ plus garlic, onyuns and etc. (I haven't decided yet)