Pork shoulder - skin on or off

Old 05-11-2003, 02:38 PM
Peter Aitken
Usenet poster

Default Pork shoulder - skin on or off

I am planning a traditional pulled Q - my first on the smoker. My shoulder
is about 60% covered with the skin. Should I remove this or not?

--
Peter Aitken

Old 05-11-2003, 03:25 PM
Brick
Usenet poster

"Peter Aitken" wrote in message
. com...
I am planning a traditional pulled Q - my first on the smoker. My

shoulder
is about 60% covered with the skin. Should I remove this or not?

--
Peter Aitken

I have yet to encounter a shoulder with skin on it, but I've done a
few
picnics and the 'Q'd' skin adds nice taste and texture to the pulled
pork
after it's chopped up and mixed in. I believe 'Bob in Ga' has some
pertinent comments in the BBQ FAQ.

Brick.

Old 05-11-2003, 03:28 PM
Monroe, of course...
Usenet poster

In article , "Peter
Aitken" wrote:

I am planning a traditional pulled Q - my first on the smoker. My shoulder
is about 60% covered with the skin. Should I remove this or not?

It can be a wrestle but you get better rub coverage if you remove the
skin. Some people score through it. Last butt I did I cooked direct
and used the skin as the deflector-kind of a pad to rest the meat on.
It worked pretty well.
Since it's your first I wanna say don't pull it until the internal is
over 190F. You want that bugger fallin apart.

monroe(gettin the butt hankerin again)
Old 06-11-2003, 02:37 AM
The Fat Man®
Usenet poster

Peter Aitken wrote:
I am planning a traditional pulled Q - my first on the smoker. My
shoulder is about 60% covered with the skin. Should I remove this or
not?

Not.

TMF®

Old 06-11-2003, 01:37 PM
Peter Aitken
Usenet poster

"The Fat Man®" wrote in message
m...
Peter Aitken wrote:
I am planning a traditional pulled Q - my first on the smoker. My
shoulder is about 60% covered with the skin. Should I remove this or
not?

Not.

TMF®

Thanks all. It is going in the smoker soon, skin intact.

--
Peter Aitken