FoodBanter.com

-   -   Pork shoulder - skin on or off (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/19219-pork-shoulder-skin-off.html)

Peter Aitken 05-11-2003 03:38 PM

Pork shoulder - skin on or off

I am planning a traditional pulled Q - my first on the smoker. My shoulder
is about 60% covered with the skin. Should I remove this or not?

--
Peter Aitken

Brick 05-11-2003 04:25 PM

Pork shoulder - skin on or off

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
. com...
> I am planning a traditional pulled Q - my first on the smoker. My

shoulder
> is about 60% covered with the skin. Should I remove this or not?
>
> --
> Peter Aitken
>
> Remove the crap from my email address before using.

I have yet to encounter a shoulder with skin on it, but I've done a
few
picnics and the 'Q'd' skin adds nice taste and texture to the pulled
pork
after it's chopped up and mixed in. I believe 'Bob in Ga' has some
pertinent comments in the BBQ FAQ.

Brick.

Monroe, of course... 05-11-2003 04:28 PM

Pork shoulder - skin on or off

In article > , "Peter
Aitken" > wrote:

> I am planning a traditional pulled Q - my first on the smoker. My shoulder
> is about 60% covered with the skin. Should I remove this or not?

It can be a wrestle but you get better rub coverage if you remove the
skin. Some people score through it. Last butt I did I cooked direct
and used the skin as the deflector-kind of a pad to rest the meat on.
It worked pretty well.
Since it's your first I wanna say don't pull it until the internal is
over 190F. You want that bugger fallin apart.

monroe(gettin the butt hankerin again)

The Fat Man® 06-11-2003 03:37 AM

Pork shoulder - skin on or off

Peter Aitken wrote:
> I am planning a traditional pulled Q - my first on the smoker. My
> shoulder is about 60% covered with the skin. Should I remove this or
> not?

Not.

TMF®

Peter Aitken 06-11-2003 02:37 PM

Pork shoulder - skin on or off

"The Fat Man®" > wrote in message
m...
> Peter Aitken wrote:
> > I am planning a traditional pulled Q - my first on the smoker. My
> > shoulder is about 60% covered with the skin. Should I remove this or
> > not?

> Not.
>
> TMF®

Thanks all. It is going in the smoker soon, skin intact.

--
Peter Aitken