JoeMcc

Default Cutco knives????

Worth the money?

JoeMcc

Fosco???

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:14:24 -0800, "JoeMcc" >
wrote:

>Worth the money?

I have a set (including a 10" chef knife) that I inherited with the
house.

Nice knives, but the "lifetime maintenance" doesn't seem worth it
(since you have to mail out the knife, etc.). Since it's
non-transferable, I don't make use of it.

When I go to replace them, I'll either pick up a nice set of Wusthoff,
or Henckels, or pick up replacements at the restaurant supply (much
cheaper, and they're not bad either...nothing to look at, but they
work well).

Bob
Tom72735

abso;utely not They don't hold up Hav to send them back for resharpening
notbob

On 2003-10-29, JoeMcc > wrote:
> Worth the money?

Cutco knives are one of the longest running scams around, right behind
Kirby/Rainbow vacuum cleaners and a "waterless" cookware. They are
complete, total, worthless, junk!! The only people extolling their
virtues are rubes who've been taken to the cleaners and are too
spineless to admit they've felt the intrusion of a 40 grit Trojan.

Tell whomever is trying to sell them to you to eat shit and die
....unless it's your sexy sister-in-law, in which case tell her you'll
buy a set if she'll polish your helmet.

nb
Jack Curry

notbob wrote:
> On 2003-10-29, JoeMcc > wrote:
>> Worth the money?

> Cutco knives are one of the longest running scams around, right behind
> Kirby/Rainbow vacuum cleaners and a "waterless" cookware. They are
> complete, total, worthless, junk!! The only people extolling their
> virtues are rubes who've been taken to the cleaners and are too
> spineless to admit they've felt the intrusion of a 40 grit Trojan.
>
> Tell whomever is trying to sell them to you to eat shit and die
> ...unless it's your sexy sister-in-law, in which case tell her you'll
> buy a set if she'll polish your helmet.
>
> nb

nb,
In the future, please do not hold back. It's better for all, yourself
included, if you release those pent-up emotions.
Jack Curry
-I liked the helmet polishing part the best-

Spud

> Cutco knives are one of the longest running scams around, right behind
> Kirby vacuum cleaners >
> nb

I have a Kirby G4 vacumm cleaner that I got for a reasonable price and it is
superior in quality and engineering than anything at Costco, Sams, or
Walmart. If you pay list price that the door-to-door salesman offers you,
then you are a dummy.

Vacumming my,

Spud

Spud

"JoeMcc" > wrote in message
> Worth the money?
>
> JoeMcc
>
> Fosco???

Top of the line knife. I still have the penny that the salesman sliced in
a pin wheel with the Cutco scissors. Worth the money? Not to me. No I
didn't buy the $800 set, even though the salesman is my son's buddy working
his way through college.

Got a real nice set of Hoffritz knives on clearance at Sam's for $40. Seem
to hold an edge real well and the grips are well made.

Spud

notbob

On 2003-10-29, Jack Curry <> wrote:

> nb,
> In the future, please do not hold back. It's better for all, yourself
> included, if you release those pent-up emotions.

Based on a true life story. I didn't buy the set! Oh well.

> -I liked the helmet polishing part the best-

Who wouldn't?

nb

notbob

On 2003-10-29, Spud > wrote:

> I have a Kirby G4 vacumm cleaner that I got for a reasonable price and it is
> superior in quality and engineering than anything at Costco, Sams, or
> Walmart. If you pay list price that the door-to-door salesman offers you,
> then you are a dummy.

True ...to a point. No one can deny they're built like a freaking
tank and will probably last till judgement day. But, having pushed
one around for 10 years as a kid (helping my single mom out) and
discovering other vacuums since then, I can honestly say Kirby's are
not good vacuum cleaners. My current vacuum, a 20 yr old Kenmore
(Sears) canister model, sucks like Anna Nicole Smith in a room full of
millionaires and weighs 1/3 what a Kirby does.

Kirby's are one of those door-to-door rip-off products that have been
pedaled by ruthless unscrupulous salesmen for over half a century. At
least they work, unlike Cutco knives, which, after about a week, are
only good for cutting bananas.

nb
Chef Juke

wrote:

>Worth the money?
>
>JoeMcc
>
>Fosco???

Didn't seem so, generally speaking.

While some of their specific purpose knives are well made and useful;

I was given one of their "Fisherman's Solution" knives when I moved to
Oregon 10 years ago and it is a great knive and has served me well.

http://www.cutco.com/jsp/catalog/det...sembleId=10330

But I wasn't a fan of the feel of the handles on their Kitchen knives.
Maybe I'm too much of a traditionalist in this regard.

I usually have stuck with Henkels or Wustof-Trident, although when I
bought my required Knife set when I was studying Culinary Arts I went
with a 10" Chef's knife from F. Dick and company. While it was a fine
knife (although a little hefty for most day-to-day kitchen duty - an
8" would have sufficed), I think I bought it more for the name than
the performance.

I'll let you think that one out.

Anyway, my favorite knives to use day-to-day are the Santoku style
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...#more-pictures

I like the feel and the handling. But your mileage may vary.

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:57:52 GMT, "Spud" > wrote:

>Top of the line knife.

Don't know if I'd call it "top of the line", but since I found it
unused in a box when I moved in (it's from the early '70s), it's nicer
than the cheap stuff I got as a present (low-end Chicago Cutlery)
once. Oh, and it worked well to keep the Cutco sales folks away...the
one that was daughter of my wife's friend couldn't really come up with
a reason to replace a set of "good for a lifetime" Cutcos with another
set.

Bob

As I mentioned...I would never buy them outright.

Bob
Robert Klute

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:53:56 GMT, "Spud" > wrote:

>> Cutco knives are one of the longest running scams around, right behind
>> Kirby vacuum cleaners >
>> nb

>I have a Kirby G4 vacumm cleaner that I got for a reasonable price and it is
>superior in quality and engineering than anything at Costco, Sams, or
>Walmart. If you pay list price that the door-to-door salesman offers you,
>then you are a dummy.

As I remember even C*ns*m*r Reports (musn't mention them by name )
thinks they are pretty good. They just have a problem with the price.
Robert Klute

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:57:52 GMT, "Spud" > wrote:

>"JoeMcc" > wrote in message
>> Worth the money?
>>
>> JoeMcc
>>
>> Fosco???
>>

>Top of the line knife. I still have the penny that the salesman sliced in
>a pin wheel with the Cutco scissors. Worth the money? Not to me. No I
>didn't buy the $800 set, even though the salesman is my son's buddy working
>his way through college.

Have a pair of $10 or so EMT scissors. They do a great job of cutting
pennies, bandages, seat belts, etc. (even better than the $3 pair of EMT
scissors I have). Wouldn't use either of them in the kitchen though.
Robert Klute

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:14:24 -0800, "JoeMcc" > wrote:

>Worth the money?

You saw the demo, I presume. Would you be doing ANY of that in the
kitchen, except slicing tomatoes? As for the tomatoes, they are
basically jelly filled balloons. The secret is you need serrations (any
size, from maxi to micro) to cut the skin.
Wingman

wrote:

>Worth the money?
>
>JoeMcc
>
>Fosco???

My nephew sold them for a while so we now have 2 sets since my
Mother-in-Law moved in. Structurally they are the best we have but
they don't hold an edge any better than anything else. But we do love
the slicer/spreader.

Is it worth it to have a set of rather ordinary knives whose handles
will be unaffected by the dishwasher? You need to answer that one for
yourself.

Loki

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 01:50:09 GMT, Robert Klute
> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:53:56 GMT, "Spud" > wrote:
>

>>> Cutco knives are one of the longest running scams around, right behind
>>> Kirby vacuum cleaners >
>>> nb

>>I have a Kirby G4 vacumm cleaner that I got for a reasonable price and it is
>>superior in quality and engineering than anything at Costco, Sams, or
>>Walmart. If you pay list price that the door-to-door salesman offers you,
>>then you are a dummy.

>As I remember even C*ns*m*r Reports (musn't mention them by name )
>thinks they are pretty good. They just have a problem with the price.

They think they are good, but not great. They say that better ones can
be gotten for dimes on the dollar.

Loki
Spud

> True ...to a point. No one can deny they're built like a freaking
> tank and will probably last till judgement day. But, having pushed
> one around for 10 years as a kid (helping my single mom out) and
> discovering other vacuums since then, I can honestly say Kirby's are
> not good vacuum cleaners. My current vacuum, a 20 yr old Kenmore
> (Sears) canister model,

You really don't know what you're talking about then do you? You don't push
around a G4, it pulls you! A lot has transpired in the 20 or 30 years since
you and your Mom cleaned houses.

Spud

JOE MCC

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2003-10-29, JoeMcc > wrote:
> > Worth the money?

> Cutco knives are one of the longest running scams around, right behind
> Kirby/Rainbow vacuum cleaners and a "waterless" cookware. They are
> complete, total, worthless, junk!! The only people extolling their
> virtues are rubes who've been taken to the cleaners and are too
> spineless to admit they've felt the intrusion of a 40 grit Trojan.
>
> Tell whomever is trying to sell them to you to eat shit and die
> ...unless it's your sexy sister-in-law, in which case tell her you'll
> buy a set if she'll polish your helmet.
>
> nb

A friend's wife gave in...I'm not!

JoeMcc

Brick

wrote:

> >Worth the money?

> You saw the demo, I presume. Would you be doing ANY of that in the
> kitchen, except slicing tomatoes? As for the tomatoes, they are
> basically jelly filled balloons. The secret is you need serrations

(any
> size, from maxi to micro) to cut the skin.

My ECCC (El Cheapo Chicago Cutlery) knives easily slice tomatoes. The
trick is to get them sharp. That was a problem for awhile until I
bought a new
steel. The old one wore out and I didn't even notice. It took awhile
to get
them all sharp again, particularly the 10" Chef which is pretty hefty.

Brick (I quite looking for status knives. If it ain't broke, don't fix
it.)

notbob

On 2003-10-30, Spud > wrote:

> You really don't know what you're talking about then do you? You don't push
> around a G4, it pulls you!

Swell. A vacuum cleaner so ponderous it requires power assist. More
moving parts, more failure points. Yeah, that's real advancement.

> A lot has transpired in the 20 or 30 years since
> you and your Mom cleaned houses.

The only house I cleaned was our own. It was called chores, an alien
concept these days, it seems.

nb

barry

This discussion comes up every so often in the rec.knives group. The
consensus is that Cutco knives are not very good and certainly not worth the
money. (I cut a great deal of invective here.)

Before buying knives, you should ask yourself how many knives you need, how
much time and effort you are willing to expend to keep them sharp and what
you will be doing with them.

I have two knives: a 10" Sabatier made of soft steel that I use a steel
(and nothing else) to keep sharp, and a small paring knife that is hard
steel, which requires my Lansky sharpening set every-so-often. The Sabatier
is 35 years old and still going strong.

Do you really need a set?

Barry

"JoeMcc" > wrote in message
> Worth the money?
>
> JoeMcc
>
> Fosco???

Spud

> The only house I cleaned was our own. It was called chores, an alien
> concept these days, it seems.
>
> nb

Know what you mean. Kids got to get to the soccer tournament on the
weekend. Mom and Dad both work. Gotta get a house cleaner because they're
so "busy."

I traded in my Mom's 30 year old Kirby on my new one. Seems the store has a
collection and this was the oldest one they'd gotten. Come to find out, it
was meant for smooth floors, before wall to wall carpet I guess. And yes,
it did a really crappy job of vacumming. And it made a real mess when that
opening on the bottom of the bag came open when the machine was on.

Spud

F.G. Whitfurrows

"JoeMcc" > wrote in message
> Worth the money?
>
> JoeMcc
>
> Fosco???

Alls I know is this Joe. Some likes em, some don't.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Jack Sloan

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2003-10-30, Spud > wrote:
> >
> > You really don't know what you're talking about then do you? You don't

push
> > around a G4, it pulls you!

> Swell. A vacuum cleaner so ponderous it requires power assist. More
> moving parts, more failure points. Yeah, that's real advancement.
>
> > A lot has transpired in the 20 or 30 years since
> > you and your Mom cleaned houses.

> The only house I cleaned was our own. It was called chores, an alien
> concept these days, it seems.
>
> nb

Yep, we've got a bunch of aliens cleanin' houses down here too.
Jack<G>

Anyone use Cutco? Steve B[_7_] General Cooking 20 21-05-2014 02:46 AM
Mac knives modom General Cooking 31 28-05-2006 04:54 PM
Cutco knives? Michael L Kankiewicz General Cooking 16 08-09-2005 04:18 PM
Cutco knives?? Ray General Cooking 13 30-06-2004 10:14 PM
Cutco knives?? Ray Cooking Equipment 13 30-06-2004 10:14 PM