Bill Hortin

Default Reheating & serving pulled pork?

I'm smoking 15 lbs of pork butt today for a church outing this coming
Saturday (10/25). A couple of questions:

1. What's the best way to reheat pulled pork? In the past I've always
frozen it in vaccuum sealed bags (foodsaver) and dropped the sealed bags
into boiling water to thaw and reheat. Works great - tasts like it just
came out of the smoker. Is there another way to reheat it as this batch
will not be frozen, just stored in the fridge for a day?

2. What is the best container/vessel to reheat and serve the pulled pork? I
intend to serve it dry with sauce on the side. I am thinking about my big
cast iron Dutch Oven set over a portable gas fired bbq or maybe a Coleman
gas camp stove. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Note- The pastor and his wife are from Georgia/South Carolina. I know my
pig will measure up but I'm not sure how you guys in the south serve it?
I'm from Alaska. I plan on supplying plain white hamburger buns and sauce.
Others have signed up for beans, cole slaw, etc. and the pastor's wife is
making Brunswick Stew. Any info would be welcome. We don't want our pastor
and his family to know the entire depths of our heathinism?

Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:17:07 -0700, "Bill Hortin"
> wrote:

>I'm smoking 15 lbs of pork butt today for a church outing this coming
>Saturday (10/25). A couple of questions:
>
>1. What's the best way to reheat pulled pork? In the past I've always
>frozen it in vaccuum sealed bags (foodsaver) and dropped the sealed bags
>into boiling water to thaw and reheat. Works great - tasts like it just
>came out of the smoker. Is there another way to reheat it as this batch
>will not be frozen, just stored in the fridge for a day?

I regularly feed pulled pork to the crew at work (about 20 people). I
cook the pork on the weekend, then store it in gallon ziplock bags in
the refrigerator. I've also frozen it, then thawed it out the night
before.

To reheat it, I use a large (6 quart?) crockpot. I dump the pork in
when I arrive at work, then add a few tablespoons of water or a
vinegar-based BBQ sauce. Just a little, to add some moisture, though,
because I want people to choose from a half-dozen kinds of sauces.

I set the crockpot on low for a couple hours, then turn it up to high
until 11:30 or so, when people begin eating. I'll stir it every now
and then, but in general I just leave it alone.

If you use this method, hang around as people are serving themselves
so you can put the lid back on the crock pot. People tend to leave it
off, and the meat quickly cools and begins to dry out.

>2. What is the best container/vessel to reheat and serve the pulled pork? I
>intend to serve it dry with sauce on the side. I am thinking about my big
>cast iron Dutch Oven set over a portable gas fired bbq or maybe a Coleman
>gas camp stove. Any suggestions?

Crock pot would be a lot easier.

>-Note- The pastor and his wife are from Georgia/South Carolina. I know my
>pig will measure up but I'm not sure how you guys in the south serve it?
>I'm from Alaska. I plan on supplying plain white hamburger buns and sauce.
>Others have signed up for beans, cole slaw, etc. and the pastor's wife is
>making Brunswick Stew. Any info would be welcome. We don't want our pastor
>and his family to know the entire depths of our heathinism?

I like to offer a variety of sauces, including a mustard-based sauce,
a vinegar-based sauce, and two or three varieties of tomato-based
sauces (including a hot-and-spicy one).

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
PigmundT

Large pot and a colander with a little apple juice and water, along with a
splash of cider vinegar, and steam it until warm/hot and serve or place in
warming trays.