The small fat cap on a Boston Butt

Old 18-10-2003, 01:29 PM
Danny Hardesty
Usenet poster

Default The small fat cap on a Boston Butt

Do you guys put the fat cap on the Boston Butt up or down on the WSM grill
or does it matter?

Danny Hardesty

Old 18-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Brick
Usenet poster

"Danny Hardesty" wrote

Do you guys put the fat cap on the Boston Butt up or down on the WSM

grill
or does it matter?

Fat cap always facing the heat. When cooking indirect, (i.e.heat
deflector)
the hottest area in some cookers may be above the meat. In my ECC
using a water/drip pan the hottest area is at the dome.

Brick

Old 18-10-2003, 02:53 PM
Buzz1
Usenet poster

"Danny Hardesty" wrote in message
.. .
Do you guys put the fat cap on the Boston Butt up or down on the WSM grill
or does it matter?

I'm a firm believer in removing that hunk of fat and saving it for when I
make sausage, There is more than enuf fat in a butt to keep it moist plus
you get more good tasting bark--imo of course

Buzz

Old 19-10-2003, 04:58 PM
F.G. Whitfurrows
Usenet poster

"Danny Hardesty" wrote in message
.. .
Do you guys put the fat cap on the Boston Butt up or down on the WSM grill
or does it matter?

Danny Hardesty

I'm with Buzz. Cut that cap off your butt. You'll get more rub on the meat
that way and your bark will be better too.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Old 19-10-2003, 08:50 PM
Woogeroo
Usenet poster

The few butts I have smoked... I left it on, and left it facing up. I
did this, based on a guy I know who has smoked many many Butts and
suggested I do it that way. It worked fine for me.

But I am using an old style Egg, where the heat is directly form the
bottom of the grill, with a water pan. So... it may be a different
situation with your WSM.

my .02 cents.

(finally I can post something in reply instead of asking a question!
YAY)

-W

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 12:29:17 GMT, "Danny Hardesty"
wrote:

Do you guys put the fat cap on the Boston Butt up or down on the WSM grill
or does it matter?

Danny Hardesty

-Woogeroo

remove NOBS to send email.

Woogeroo's Smoking Page:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp/

smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...

Woogeroo's Autolinks:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com