Danny Hardesty

Default The small fat cap on a Boston Butt

Do you guys put the fat cap on the Boston Butt up or down on the WSM grill
or does it matter?

Danny Hardesty

Brick

"Danny Hardesty" wrote

> Do you guys put the fat cap on the Boston Butt up or down on the WSM

grill
> or does it matter?

Fat cap always facing the heat. When cooking indirect, (i.e.heat
deflector)
the hottest area in some cookers may be above the meat. In my ECC
using a water/drip pan the hottest area is at the dome.

Brick

Buzz1

"Danny Hardesty" > wrote in message
.. .
> Do you guys put the fat cap on the Boston Butt up or down on the WSM grill
> or does it matter?

I'm a firm believer in removing that hunk of fat and saving it for when I
make sausage, There is more than enuf fat in a butt to keep it moist plus
you get more good tasting bark--imo of course

Buzz

F.G. Whitfurrows

"Danny Hardesty" > wrote in message
.. .
> Do you guys put the fat cap on the Boston Butt up or down on the WSM grill
> or does it matter?
>
> Danny Hardesty

I'm with Buzz. Cut that cap off your butt. You'll get more rub on the meat
that way and your bark will be better too.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Woogeroo

The few butts I have smoked... I left it on, and left it facing up. I
did this, based on a guy I know who has smoked many many Butts and
suggested I do it that way. It worked fine for me.

But I am using an old style Egg, where the heat is directly form the
bottom of the grill, with a water pan. So... it may be a different
situation with your WSM.

my .02 cents.

(finally I can post something in reply instead of asking a question!
YAY)

-W

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 12:29:17 GMT, "Danny Hardesty" >
wrote:

>Do you guys put the fat cap on the Boston Butt up or down on the WSM grill
>or does it matter?
>
>Danny Hardesty

-Woogeroo

remove NOBS to send email.

Woogeroo's Smoking Page:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp/

smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...

Woogeroo's Autolinks:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com