Markyt

Default Recall on Weber Summit/Vieluxe Grill Thermometers

I received a recall notice in the mail today from Weber for the thermometer
in my Summit Silver grill which I purchased this last spring. The recall is
the result breaking thermometers according to the U.S. Consumer Product
Safety Commission (http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/support/recall/therm.htm).
It seems that if some of these thermometers got some moisture inside and
were heated the steam given off could cause the thermometer to break.

I know of this first hand as several months ago I heard a loud "Pow!" on my
patio as I was heating my grill to clean the grates and went out to find hot
thermometer pieces all over my patio. I figure it went at about 650
degrees.

I contacted Weber and they expressed out a replacement unit. I installed it
in my grill and forgot about it until receiving the notice today. I called
them again a short time ago and they told me they will send out another
replacement thermometer just in cast my previous replacement thermometer was
also one of the faulty units.

This is just a "heads-up" in case any of you own one of these grills.
Please check the above link (I'll put it at the bottom of this again) top
see if your grill meets the description of suspected faulty units. I think
Weber is acting in a responsible manner in correcting this quality issue and
I have no negative thoughts about them or their products (I am very happy
with my Summit).

Mark

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/support/recall/therm.htm