Red Jalapenos

Old 08-10-2003, 02:44 AM
Jack Sloan
Usenet poster

Default Red Jalapenos

"DesertDad" wrote in message
news:YAKgb.15926$gi2.9193@fed1read01...
Anyone have a good connection for Fresh Red Ripe Jalapenos in Phoenix or
Arizona for making Chipotles? I usually go to 2 or 3 Food City Hispanic
Markets around town and pick out the colored ones from the mountain of
Jalapenos but I would like to do a full box or bushel of red and ripe in

my
WSM smoker.

What happens if you smoke green jalapenos? Is it just a yucky color? are
they hotter or milder than the red?

Thanks,

Brad

Green ones are fine..never did any red ones.
Jack

Old 08-10-2003, 11:49 AM
Jack Schidt®
Usenet poster

"DesertDad" wrote in message
Anyone have a good connection for Fresh Red Ripe Jalapenos in Phoenix or
Arizona for making Chipotles? I usually go to 2 or 3 Food City Hispanic
Markets around town and pick out the colored ones from the mountain of
Jalapenos but I would like to do a full box or bushel of red and ripe in

my
WSM smoker.

What happens if you smoke green jalapenos? Is it just a yucky color? are
they hotter or milder than the red?

Thanks,

Brad

Go ahead and smoke the green ones. They don't result in that nice roan
color (more brown) but they will taste the same. If that's not to your
liking, buy the green ones and let them ripen in your kitchen. Either way
is better than chasing all over town for red ones.

Jack

Old 08-10-2003, 01:53 PM
DesertDad
Usenet poster

"Jack Schidt®" wrote in message
om...

"DesertDad" wrote in message
[...]

I will try the green. I have found "red jalapenos" in some markets but they
don't have the same shape. They have a pointy tip rather than a rounded tip
so they may be a Fresno or something. The price is always about 3 times more
than the green. At the major Hispanic markets they usually have 5 or more
bushels on display so I can weed through them and find a few turning.
Besides the price is less than half of what you would pay in a Gringo
market.
Does anyone have a tip on ripening? Room temperature? in a bag with a
banana? or just out in the open to shrivel up?

Brad

Old 08-10-2003, 08:39 PM
Jack Schidt®
Usenet poster

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 19:26:08 -0700, "DesertDad"
wrote:

Anyone have a good connection for Fresh Red Ripe Jalapenos in Phoenix or
Arizona for making Chipotles? I usually go to 2 or 3 Food City Hispanic
Markets around town and pick out the colored ones from the mountain of
Jalapenos but I would like to do a full box or bushel of red and ripe in

my
WSM smoker.

I think the reds are different variety of jalapenos, though green ones
will start to turn red as well. I can buy all-red jalapeno's here -
they're larger and have a lot of brown veins running around the
outside and are a darjerred than when the green ones turn red, which
makes me think theres a different variety that specifically turns red
sooner (and more consistently) than the greens.

-sw

My markets aren't that sophisticated and only have two varieties of
jalapeño; in stock or out of stock.

Jack

Old 08-10-2003, 09:10 PM
frohe
Usenet poster

DesertDad wrote:
Does anyone have a tip on ripening? Room temperature? in a bag with a
banana? or just out in the open to shrivel up?

Get ya a piece of your wifey's thread and a needle. "Sew" em through the
tops right where the flesh meets the stem cap. When you get plenty on the
thread, tie the ends together (or let hang long) and hang em up where they
can dry out. In the sun is best but given this time of year, you may find
the garage wall a nice place.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Old 08-10-2003, 10:04 PM
Default User
Usenet poster

frohe wrote:

DesertDad wrote:
Does anyone have a tip on ripening? Room temperature? in a bag with a
banana? or just out in the open to shrivel up?

Get ya a piece of your wifey's thread and a needle. "Sew" em through the
tops right where the flesh meets the stem cap. When you get plenty on the
thread, tie the ends together (or let hang long) and hang em up where they
can dry out. In the sun is best but given this time of year, you may find
the garage wall a nice place.

He's trying to ripen them, not dry them.

Brian Rodenborn
Old 08-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Jack Schidt®
Usenet poster

"DesertDad" wrote in message

Thanks,
I will try the green. I have found "red jalapenos" in some markets but

they
don't have the same shape. They have a pointy tip rather than a rounded

tip
so they may be a Fresno or something. The price is always about 3 times

more
than the green. At the major Hispanic markets they usually have 5 or more
bushels on display so I can weed through them and find a few turning.
Besides the price is less than half of what you would pay in a Gringo
market.
Does anyone have a tip on ripening? Room temperature? in a bag with a
banana? or just out in the open to shrivel up?

In a paper bag would be quicker, but they would still ripen on the counter.

Jack

Old 09-10-2003, 08:25 PM
Reg
Usenet poster

Steve Wertz wrote:

I think the reds are different variety of jalapenos, though green ones
will start to turn red as well. I can buy all-red jalapeno's here -
they're larger and have a lot of brown veins running around the
outside and are a darjerred than when the green ones turn red, which
makes me think theres a different variety that specifically turns red
sooner (and more consistently) than the greens.

In my area I can get the green japs for 99 cents per lb. The red ones
are 3.99.

Big price diff! I smoke and dry the green ones because they don't look
all that different after processing and they taste the same.

Old 10-10-2003, 12:03 AM
frohe
Usenet poster

Default User wrote:
frohe wrote:

DesertDad wrote:
Does anyone have a tip on ripening? Room temperature? in a bag with
a banana? or just out in the open to shrivel up?

Get ya a piece of your wifey's thread and a needle. "Sew" em
through the tops right where the flesh meets the stem cap. When you
get plenty on the thread, tie the ends together (or let hang long)
and hang em up where they can dry out. In the sun is best but given
this time of year, you may find the garage wall a nice place.

He's trying to ripen them, not dry them.

Yeah, so? If he's got bunches to do, I doubt he wants them laying all over
his kitchen counter. Stringin em up is the best bet.