Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Safe Turkey Smoking Temp?

What is the lowest temp you feel comfortable smoking a 15lb turkey, as far
as the risk of infection is concerned? How do you brown the skin, or don't
you? Have you gone as low as 200F. I did once years ago with my Luhrs Jensen
at a very low temp and then roasted the turkey following in the Weber grill.
This was as per the recipe in the Luhrs Jensen manual for the smoker.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 8, 11:19*am, "Kent" > wrote:

> Kent

Morphed again cuz you were killfiled by all. Why do you think you're
not immediately killfiled under your newly morphed identiry anyway?

Bye

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Tutall" > wrote in message
On Nov 8, 11:19 am, "Kent" > wrote:

> Kent

Morphed again cuz you were killfiled by all. Why do you think you're
not immediately killfiled under your newly morphed identiry anyway?

Bye

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> What is the lowest temp you feel comfortable smoking a 15lb turkey, as far
> as the risk of infection is concerned? How do you brown the skin, or don't
> you? Have you gone as low as 200F. I did once years ago with my Luhrs Jensen
> at a very low temp and then roasted the turkey following in the Weber grill.
> This was as per the recipe in the Luhrs Jensen manual for the smoker.
>
> Kent

Use standard temps to cook a turkey, 325 degrees without stuffing. Birds
are better flavor if 'roasted' IMHO

--
Regards,
piedmont

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Never been able to smoke a turkey.

1) they are a bitch to roll, and
2) they don't stay lit

165 but remember to let it rest othewise
all the juice will run out and the bird
will be dry.

--
DougW
We now return you to your previously

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> What is the lowest temp you feel comfortable smoking a 15lb turkey,
> as far as the risk of infection is concerned? How do you brown the
> skin, or don't you? Have you gone as low as 200F. I did once years
> ago with my Luhrs Jensen at a very low temp and then roasted the
> turkey following in the Weber grill. This was as per the recipe in
> the Luhrs Jensen manual for the smoker.
> Kent

Smoke it at 85F for about 36 hours. Then it it all. Then FOAD once and for
all, you flaming git.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"piedmont" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>> What is the lowest temp you feel comfortable smoking a 15lb turkey, as
>> far as the risk of infection is concerned? How do you brown the skin, or
>> don't you? Have you gone as low as 200F. I did once years ago with my
>> Luhrs Jensen at a very low temp and then roasted the turkey following in
>> the Weber grill. This was as per the recipe in the Luhrs Jensen manual
>> for the smoker.
>>
>> Kent
>>

> Use standard temps to cook a turkey, 325 degrees without stuffing. Birds
> are better flavor if 'roasted' IMHO
> --
> Regards,
> piedmont

My first experience with attempting to water smoke the turkey in the WSM
sure confirms that. It's not worth the headache and you don't gain anything.

My routine is to toast indirectly, with coals on both sides of the drip pan
in the Weber 22", at about 325F as you do. I start with breast side down,
and rotate 90 degrees each half hour. I don't think you gain anything with
a rotisserie. I very much agree about no stuffing in the turkey. That gets
baked on the side with turkey stock and whatever else you add to it.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:43:05 -0800, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Kent wrote:
>> What is the lowest temp you feel comfortable smoking a 15lb turkey,
>> as far as the risk of infection is concerned? How do you brown the
>> skin, or don't you? Have you gone as low as 200F. I did once years
>> ago with my Luhrs Jensen at a very low temp and then roasted the
>> turkey following in the Weber grill. This was as per the recipe in
>> the Luhrs Jensen manual for the smoker.
>> Kent

>Smoke it at 85F for about 36 hours. Then it it all. Then FOAD once and for
>all, you flaming git.

I perfer 36 degrees for 85 hours

:}~

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

"If people let government decide
what foods they eat and what medicines
they take, their bodies will soon be
in as sorry a state as are the souls of
those who live under tyranny"

"Thomas Jefferson"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:43:05 -0800, "Dave Bugg" >
> wrote:
>
>>Kent wrote:
>>> What is the lowest temp you feel comfortable smoking a 15lb turkey,
>>> as far as the risk of infection is concerned? How do you brown the
>>> skin, or don't you? Have you gone as low as 200F. I did once years
>>> ago with my Luhrs Jensen at a very low temp and then roasted the
>>> turkey following in the Weber grill. This was as per the recipe in
>>> the Luhrs Jensen manual for the smoker.
>>> Kent

>>Smoke it at 85F for about 36 hours. Then it it all. Then FOAD once and for
>>all, you flaming git.

> I perfer 36 degrees for 85 hours
>
> Gene

That's garage, or refrigerator temp. for 3.5 days, enough for a good long
brine. Then, how do you cook it?

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>> What is the lowest temp you feel comfortable smoking a 15lb turkey,
>> as far as the risk of infection is concerned? How do you brown the
>> skin, or don't you? Have you gone as low as 200F. I did once years
>> ago with my Luhrs Jensen at a very low temp and then roasted the
>> turkey following in the Weber grill. This was as per the recipe in
>> the Luhrs Jensen manual for the smoker.
>> Kent

> Smoke it at 85F for about 36 hours. Then it it all. Then FOAD once and for
> all, you flaming git.
>
> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

Dave, my boy, I've been worried about you. It's nice to see you back.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> Kent wrote:
>>> What is the lowest temp you feel comfortable smoking a 15lb turkey,
>>> as far as the risk of infection is concerned? How do you brown the
>>> skin, or don't you? Have you gone as low as 200F. I did once years
>>> ago with my Luhrs Jensen at a very low temp and then roasted the
>>> turkey following in the Weber grill. This was as per the recipe in
>>> the Luhrs Jensen manual for the smoker.
>>> Kent

>> Smoke it at 85F for about 36 hours. Then it it all. Then FOAD once
>> and for all, you flaming git.
>>
>> --
>> Dave
>> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven
>> before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan
>>

> Dave, my boy, I've been worried about you. It's nice to see you back.

Kent, my bitch, I can't say the same.

--
Dave