Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Adventures in Upright Smoking.

The big day has arrived! I found a chimney at Lowes as well as a lovely
rib/roast rack. The rack will come in handy for the rib roast that I
want to try soon. ( I have a remote thermometer for the roast, but ribs
are too thin for it)

I put some lava rocks in the bottom of the fire pan as suggested:

http://i40.tinypic.com/213ejcj.jpg

I was careful not to block any of the air vents.

I got my charcoal hot and into the fire pan over the rocks:

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ci8shv.jpg

Note the foil-wrapped hickory chunks on top of the charcoal.

Next I put the water pan on and topped it off with the hose.

http://i42.tinypic.com/200g2mq.jpg

Then the rack with the rib rack:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2ue1ts3.jpg

Next I put on the second grill and loaded it with links. Why waste the
smoke? The links are already "hickory smoked" but I don't think that
will matter much. They are fully cooked, but I don't think they'll come
to any harm.

http://i44.tinypic.com/mvhiqp.jpg

I closed it up with the lid and it is smoking away. Start time was 12:30
PM CST. At this writing, the little needle on the temp guide attached to
the smoker dome is almost at "ideal"

In a little while I'll start shredding the cabbage for coleslaw.

I'll report more as things happen, but I don't expect much to happen
until at least 6 PM
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:
> The big day has arrived! I found a chimney at Lowes as well as a lovely
> rib/roast rack. The rack will come in handy for the rib roast that I
> want to try soon. ( I have a remote thermometer for the roast, but ribs
> are too thin for it)

Excellent Janet, looks like you're off to a good dinner!

Your unit layout is "kind of similiar" to a WSM. I never messed with
any lavarocks in the fire area and my "water" pan has never gotten wet.
I filled it with clean playgound sand and covered it with aluminum foil
and never looked back. Whatever works for you though.

Not the tough part.... no fair peeking! ;-)

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 13:09:36 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>The big day has arrived! I found a chimney at Lowes as well as a lovely
>rib/roast rack. The rack will come in handy for the rib roast that I
>want to try soon. ( I have a remote thermometer for the roast, but ribs
>are too thin for it)
>
>I put some lava rocks in the bottom of the fire pan as suggested:
>
>http://i40.tinypic.com/213ejcj.jpg
>
>I was careful not to block any of the air vents.
>
>I got my charcoal hot and into the fire pan over the rocks:
>
>http://i44.tinypic.com/2ci8shv.jpg
>
>Note the foil-wrapped hickory chunks on top of the charcoal.
>
>Next I put the water pan on and topped it off with the hose.
>
>http://i42.tinypic.com/200g2mq.jpg
>
>Then the rack with the rib rack:
>
>http://i40.tinypic.com/2ue1ts3.jpg
>
>Next I put on the second grill and loaded it with links. Why waste the
>smoke? The links are already "hickory smoked" but I don't think that
>will matter much. They are fully cooked, but I don't think they'll come
>to any harm.
>
>http://i44.tinypic.com/mvhiqp.jpg
>
>I closed it up with the lid and it is smoking away. Start time was 12:30
>PM CST. At this writing, the little needle on the temp guide attached to
>the smoker dome is almost at "ideal"
>
>In a little while I'll start shredding the cabbage for coleslaw.
>
>I'll report more as things happen, but I don't expect much to happen
>until at least 6 PM

Sigh...lucky you. We have snow here and I grill under the open sky, so
no grilling here yet. :-(

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Sigh...lucky you. We have snow here and I grill under the open sky, so
> no grilling here yet. :-(
>

> Desideria

Good looking start Janet. Now have fun fighting off the
neighbors when they smell your BBQ.

Desideria- I posted a picture of our daffodils in the snow.
We are teetering on spring here in NC. Then I remembered
this was a non-binary group and canceled the message.

<sigh>

Craig
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> All looks great. I'm seriously thinking that it's just about time for
> some ribs.

DH is puzzled about the ribs on the smoker. I make excellent ribs on the
6 burner gas grill, smoking them on the non-lit side of the grill. I
told him it's a new hobby <vbg> He says any hobby that results in
something he can eat is okay by him.

Here's one more picture of the smoker next to the house. I'm trying to
block the fire pan from the wind.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2l9qcxv.jpg

It's very windy today -

http://tinyurl.com/4gzckr

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet - Looks great!

If you are in Brownsville, I can be there in six or so hours from San
Antonio!

Honestly, it looks like you are doing a great job. Can't wait to hear
about the results. But where are the red, orange and yellow peppers
from the .99 store?

;^)

And just a thought...

Go down about 3/4 of the way down this page to see the other ways to
use the rib rack. I have found that I can load my upright to the
gills with ribs standing the ribs on edge. I >think< that was the
original intent.

But this guy has his loaded with ribs and chicken both, more than you
could ever put on that one grill rack alone.

Since it makes the whole setup taller, you can switch places with the
sausage and be in high cotton with your setup. Congratulations!

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:

> It's very windy today -
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4gzckr

Sorry about this URL. It's the weather report for Harlingen, TX today.
Here's a copy and paste from Weather Underground.

Wind Advisory in effect until 6 PM CST this evening...
Windy. Highs in the mid 80s. Southeast winds 20 to 30 mph with higher
gusts.

It's not unusual for us to have winds like this here in the Lower Rio
Grande Valley.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
> Janet - Looks great!
>
> If you are in Brownsville, I can be there in six or so hours from San
> Antonio!

I'm in Harlingen, a few miles closer to San Antonio than Brownsville. In
6 hours, the ribs will be history. Next time, we'll coordinate and I'll
make more.

> Honestly, it looks like you are doing a great job. Can't wait to hear
> about the results. But where are the red, orange and yellow peppers
> from the .99 store?

They didn't have any peppers last week, but they did have fresh
cauliflowers and some really nice red-leaf lettuce and grape tomatoes
for .99.9¢. :-)

My DH says that I'm the only person he knows who always spends upwards
of $20 in a 99¢ store.

> And just a thought...
>
> Go down about 3/4 of the way down this page to see the other ways to
> use the rib rack. I have found that I can load my upright to the
> gills with ribs standing the ribs on edge. I >think< that was the
> original intent.

Which page????

> But this guy has his loaded with ribs and chicken both, more than you
> could ever put on that one grill rack alone.
>
> Since it makes the whole setup taller, you can switch places with the
> sausage and be in high cotton with your setup. Congratulations!

I have a small standing rib roast in the freezer that is the next
candidate for the smoker. I'll use the remote thermometer in it. Don't
know when I'll do that, but I know it will not be a windy day like today.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 14:01:02 -0800, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

>On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 11:24:09 -0800, Desideria
> wrote:
>
>>Sigh...lucky you. We have snow here and I grill under the open sky, so
>>no grilling here yet. :-(

>Hey, sweetie, remember we grilled those steaks for Valentine's Day.
>
>And I have some Royal Oak for you. Maybe you can grill on birthday
>weekend, or the weekend after.

Yes, but that was YOU grilling out in the cold outdoors on Valentine's
Day, remember? I was inside in the (very) warm kitchen, cooking the
sides!

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> I'll report more as things happen, but I don't expect much to happen until
> at least 6 PM

can't wait to see the finished art.
--
C.D

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> The big day has arrived! I found a chimney at Lowes as well as a lovely
> rib/roast rack. The rack will come in handy for the rib roast that I
> want to try soon. ( I have a remote thermometer for the roast, but ribs
> are too thin for it)
> [ . . . ]

Nice series of pics, Jaye. If those are yer tiny pics, I don't know if I
could handle the big ones! ;-D

I use a grate about 1 inch off the bottom, rather than lava rocks.

Good lookin' fire. Did ya poke some little holes in the foil packet? Looks
like you have two smoke packets. How intense was the smoke flavor?

If you must use water in the pan, consider that the fire has to heat cold
water, hot water's already hot, so it won't add to yer cook time.

Nice lookin' ribs. What did you use for marinade/rub?

What kind of links? Good plan, well executed.

Lookin' forward to the final pics, including the coleslaw, which I hope
you'll describe.

I'm running about 5 or 6 hours behind, so, it may turn out that all of my
above points have already been covered. Whatever.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Craig Watts > wrote:

> > Sigh...lucky you. We have snow here and I grill under the open sky, so
> > no grilling here yet. :-(

> Good looking start Janet. Now have fun fighting off the
> neighbors when they smell your BBQ.
>
> Desideria- I posted a picture of our daffodils in the snow.
> We are teetering on spring here in NC. Then I remembered
> this was a non-binary group and canceled the message.

It was posted at noon PST and didn't get cancelled here, ya bloomin' idjit!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

C.D wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> I'll report more as things happen, but I don't expect much to happen
>> until at least 6 PM

> can't wait to see the finished art.

It wasn't very pretty. I think I let it go too long. The meat was good
but it had a sort of crust that was very dark and too crispy. The
sausages were "toast"

Even though the "gauge" on the dome read between warm and ideal, I think
it was hotter than it should have been.

I stuck some hot dogs on the top rack because there was still a lot of
charcoal in the pan and I wasn't sure if we'd be able to eat the ribs.
The hot dogs were very, very good.

I have cleaned up everything except for the fire pan which has now damp
charcoal in it. I had to put out the fire, it's so windy here and I was
worried.

I'll try again, but the next time I *will* peek because I think not
peeking is what did me in this time.

I'm certain that I'm not the first amateur smoker to have a rocky start.
Sometimes losing one's virginity can be a bit painful :-)

Thanks, again, one and all, for the hand-holding, advice and other
encouragements. I want y'all to know how very much I appreciate your
support.

Don't write me off yet.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:

> Nice lookin' ribs. What did you use for marinade/rub?

Rib Rub

8 tbsps brown sugar
3 tbsps salt
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp Bell's Poultry Seasoning
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika

In a bowl combine ingredients and mix well. Place ribs on a sheet of
aluminum foil, shiny-side down. Sprinkle the ribs generously with the
rub. Pat the rub into the meat. Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.

NOTES : This recipe makes several batches of dry rub.

> What kind of links? Good plan, well executed.

The links were a beef and pork smoked combo that we buy at Sam's Club.
Slovacek's brand. They are made in Texas. They are very good on the gas
grill, but I over-cooked them and they weighed less than half of what
they should have been when I took them off the grill. Dessicated is the
best word to describe them.

> Lookin' forward to the final pics, including the coleslaw, which I hope
> you'll describe.

Nothing was worth taking pictures. The coleslaw was just coleslaw.
Cabbage, carrots, onion, Helman's Light, cider vinegar, Splenda salt and
pepper.

> I'm running about 5 or 6 hours behind, so, it may turn out that all of my
> above points have already been covered. Whatever.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Wilder[_3_] View Post
[...]

wow! i hope this turns out well for you.
this will also help a lot of people who are very fond of cooking barbeque.
__________________
http://prochef360blog.com/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:
> C.D wrote:
>>
>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>>> I'll report more as things happen, but I don't expect much to happen
>>> until at least 6 PM

>> can't wait to see the finished art.

> It wasn't very pretty. I think I let it go too long. The meat was good
> but it had a sort of crust that was very dark and too crispy. The
> sausages were "toast"

<snip>

that's a shame. The are supposed to have a bark on 'em but maybe yours
got over done. When I said no peeking I should have added 'until at
least 3 hours' sorry - my fault.

I may add some real thermometers to it if I were you. I put one at both
grate levels of my wsm for about ten bucks and ten minutes of effort.

Now I know the exact temp at both grates. I got the thermometers at HD
who at the time, sold Weber parts. Don't know if they still do.

You can make them out in this pic:
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL413.../103771621.jpg
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Craig Watts" > wrote in message

>> Sigh...lucky you. We have snow here and I grill under the open sky, so
>> no grilling here yet. :-(
>>

>> Desideria

> Good looking start Janet. Now have fun fighting off the neighbors when
> they smell your BBQ.
>
> Desideria- I posted a picture of our daffodils in the snow. We are
> teetering on spring here in NC. Then I remembered this was a non-binary
> group and canceled the message.
>
> <sigh>

It didn't work. I saw it. I fine you 37 cents for my wasted bandwidth.

Sheriff TFM,
TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 7-Mar-2009, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> C.D wrote:
> >
> > "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> >> I'll report more as things happen, but I don't expect much to happen
> >> until at least 6 PM

> > can't wait to see the finished art.

> It wasn't very pretty. I think I let it go too long. The meat was good
> but it had a sort of crust that was very dark and too crispy. The
> sausages were "toast"
>
> Even though the "gauge" on the dome read between warm and ideal, I think
> it was hotter than it should have been.
>
> I stuck some hot dogs on the top rack because there was still a lot of
> charcoal in the pan and I wasn't sure if we'd be able to eat the ribs.
> The hot dogs were very, very good.
>
> I have cleaned up everything except for the fire pan which has now damp
> charcoal in it. I had to put out the fire, it's so windy here and I was
> worried.
>
> I'll try again, but the next time I *will* peek because I think not
> peeking is what did me in this time.
>
> I'm certain that I'm not the first amateur smoker to have a rocky start.
> Sometimes losing one's virginity can be a bit painful :-)
>
> Thanks, again, one and all, for the hand-holding, advice and other
> encouragements. I want y'all to know how very much I appreciate your
> support.
>
> Don't write me off yet.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder

One big negative about that smoker is that you cannot shut it off. With
the WSM and most others you can close the draft and chimney vent
and the fire will go out by itself and save all the remaining fuel.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 02:13:51 GMT, "Brick" >
wrote:

>On 7-Mar-2009, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> C.D wrote:

>> > can't wait to see the finished art.

>> It wasn't very pretty. I think I let it go too long. The meat was good
>> but it had a sort of crust that was very dark and too crispy. The
>> sausages were "toast"
>>
>> Even though the "gauge" on the dome read between warm and ideal, I think
>> it was hotter than it should have been.
>>
>> I stuck some hot dogs on the top rack because there was still a lot of
>> charcoal in the pan and I wasn't sure if we'd be able to eat the ribs.
>> The hot dogs were very, very good.
>>
>> I have cleaned up everything except for the fire pan which has now damp
>> charcoal in it. I had to put out the fire, it's so windy here and I was
>> worried.
>>
>> I'll try again, but the next time I *will* peek because I think not
>> peeking is what did me in this time.
>>
>> I'm certain that I'm not the first amateur smoker to have a rocky start.
>> Sometimes losing one's virginity can be a bit painful :-)
>>
>> Thanks, again, one and all, for the hand-holding, advice and other
>> encouragements. I want y'all to know how very much I appreciate your
>> support.
>>
>> Don't write me off yet.
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder

>One big negative about that smoker is that you cannot shut it off. With
>the WSM and most others you can close the draft and chimney vent
>and the fire will go out by itself and save all the remaining fuel.

Can't shut off my hibachi, either.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:

> > Nice lookin' ribs. What did you use for marinade/rub?

> Rib Rub

[ . . . ]

Thanks, Jayeski!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> C.D wrote:

>>> can't wait to see the finished art.

>> It wasn't very pretty. I think I let it go too long. The meat was good
>> but it had a sort of crust that was very dark and too crispy. The
>> sausages were "toast"

> <snip>
>
> that's a shame. The are supposed to have a bark on 'em but maybe yours
> got over done. When I said no peeking I should have added 'until at
> least 3 hours' sorry - my fault.

I think they were a little overdone. A "bark" should not be a "crust"
that much I know.

I'll forgive you this time :-) Don't do it again.

> I may add some real thermometers to it if I were you. I put one at both
> grate levels of my wsm for about ten bucks and ten minutes of effort.
>
> Now I know the exact temp at both grates. I got the thermometers at HD
> who at the time, sold Weber parts. Don't know if they still do.

I have a remote thermometer that I got at WalMart. It needs to go into
meat. I looked at Weber thermometers and they might not fit in the hole
in the Brinkmann. I don't want to mess with drilling the Brinkman, so
I'll use the remote job when I make bigger meat.

> You can make them out in this pic:
> http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL413.../103771621.jpg

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:

> One big negative about that smoker is that you cannot shut it off. With
> the WSM and most others you can close the draft and chimney vent
> and the fire will go out by itself and save all the remaining fuel.

It would have to be a lot of wasted fuel to account for the over $300
difference between mine and the Weber Smokey Mountain. :-)
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 21:20:30 -0800, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

>On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 14:54:42 -0800, Desideria
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 14:01:02 -0800, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

>>>Hey, sweetie, remember we grilled those steaks for Valentine's Day.
>>>
>>>And I have some Royal Oak for you. Maybe you can grill on birthday
>>>weekend, or the weekend after.

>>Yes, but that was YOU grilling out in the cold outdoors on Valentine's
>>Day, remember? I was inside in the (very) warm kitchen, cooking the
>>sides!

>ISTR that being your call....

Of course it was! That was rather my point as to who had the better
brains ;-), though you could make a case that I had rather more work
while you had rather more cold.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 7-Mar-2009, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
>
> > One big negative about that smoker is that you cannot shut it off. With
> > the WSM and most others you can close the draft and chimney vent
> > and the fire will go out by itself and save all the remaining fuel.
> >

> It would have to be a lot of wasted fuel to account for the over $300
> difference between mine and the Weber Smokey Mountain. :-)
> --
> Janet Wilder

My real point was supposed to be that you don't have to douse the
WSM with water to shut it off. It safely contains the remaining hot
fuel until it goes out.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Now I know the exact temp at both grates. I got the thermometers at HD
>> who at the time, sold Weber parts. Don't know if they still do.

> I have a remote thermometer that I got at WalMart. It needs to go into
> meat. I looked at Weber thermometers and they might not fit in the hole
> in the Brinkmann. I don't want to mess with drilling the Brinkman, so
> I'll use the remote job when I make bigger meat.
>>
>> You can make them out in this pic:
>> http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL413.../103771621.jpg

k, your call. I just got out the old drill and didn't worry about it. I
was a little concerned about the porclean cracking but had no problem
with either hole.

Yeah, I think you need to know more than "ideal" and I don't know where
your built in therm is but a lot of them are at the dome, who the *E#&(
cares what the temp is up there?!?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder > wrote:

> I got my charcoal hot and into the fire pan over the rocks:
>
> http://i44.tinypic.com/2ci8shv.jpg

I usually fill the pan about 1/2 to 2/3rds the way full and only
light one side of it.

> Next I put the water pan on and topped it off with the hose.

Is that pan aluminum or porcelain-coated steel?

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 02:13:51 GMT, "Brick" >

>> One big negative about that smoker is that you cannot shut it off. With
>> the WSM and most others you can close the draft and chimney vent
>> and the fire will go out by itself and save all the remaining fuel.

> She used lump--it oughta be okay once it dries, unlike briquets.

Exactly what I am thinking. I saved it.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>> Now I know the exact temp at both grates. I got the thermometers at
>>> HD who at the time, sold Weber parts. Don't know if they still do.

>> I have a remote thermometer that I got at WalMart. It needs to go into
>> meat. I looked at Weber thermometers and they might not fit in the
>> hole in the Brinkmann. I don't want to mess with drilling the
>> Brinkman, so I'll use the remote job when I make bigger meat.
>>>
>>> You can make them out in this pic:
>>> http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL413.../103771621.jpg

> k, your call. I just got out the old drill and didn't worry about it. I
> was a little concerned about the porclean cracking but had no problem
> with either hole.
>
> Yeah, I think you need to know more than "ideal" and I don't know where
> your built in therm is but a lot of them are at the dome, who the *E#&(
> cares what the temp is up there?!?

It's in the dome. That's probably why I got extra-crispy ribs <g> Next
time the remote thermometer goes in.

There *will* be a next time.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> I got my charcoal hot and into the fire pan over the rocks:
>>
>> http://i44.tinypic.com/2ci8shv.jpg

> I usually fill the pan about 1/2 to 2/3rds the way full and only
> light one side of it.

I have a big chimney. I used it.

>> Next I put the water pan on and topped it off with the hose.

> Is that pan aluminum or porcelain-coated steel?
>
> -sw

It's porcelain-coated metal of some kind.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 7, 9:11*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> I have a remote thermometer that I got at WalMart. It needs to go into
> meat.

That's true, for butt and brisket. For ribs and chix there's plenty of
tells so you don't need to use a thermometer on em. In the future
you'll probably want to take a first peek around the 4 hour mark, on a
hot day or when you think you have a hot fire going on, 3.5 hours
would be a good time. Those are a couple of personal fast times for
ribs at any rate.

I've never once used a thermometer on either of those two cuts, never
considered it really. Wouldn't think of trying to do a butt without
using one either.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Duwop wrote:
> On Mar 7, 9:11 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> I have a remote thermometer that I got at WalMart. It needs to go into
>> meat.

> That's true, for butt and brisket. For ribs and chix there's plenty of
> tells so you don't need to use a thermometer on em. In the future
> you'll probably want to take a first peek around the 4 hour mark, on a
> hot day or when you think you have a hot fire going on, 3.5 hours
> would be a good time. Those are a couple of personal fast times for
> ribs at any rate.

Thank you for the tips. I have made note of them.

> I've never once used a thermometer on either of those two cuts, never
> considered it really. Wouldn't think of trying to do a butt without
> using one either.

I do use an instant read thermometer when I do a beer can chicken on the
gas grill (offset) I just eyeball the ribs for color and shrinkage along
the bone.

I'm living proof that one is never too old to learn new things.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> One big negative about that smoker is that you cannot shut it off. With
> the WSM and most others you can close the draft and chimney vent
> and the fire will go out by itself and save all the remaining fuel.

Brick,

I do put a large sheet of foil over my lump in my smoker to
turn it off. You just need some dead weight on the foil to
help it do it's job. Small sticks that I have cut for
smoking wood work great.

Very helpful for lump.

Craig
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 7, 2:09*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> I have a remote thermometer for the roast, but ribs are too thin for it

You really don't need a therm for ribs. There are tw tests to do and
you'll know if they are done or not. The first test is to see if the
rib tip meat has pulled back up the bone. I prefer 3/8" to 1/4"
although I know of others who say 1/4" is enough. The other test is
to pick the ribs up at the end with your tongs. I the ribs
"crack" (seperate between 2 ribs) they're done. Combined, these two
tests are all you need to know your ribs are done or need more
cooking.

-frohe
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

frohe wrote:
> On Mar 7, 2:09 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> I have a remote thermometer for the roast, but ribs are too thin for it

> You really don't need a therm for ribs. There are tw tests to do and
> you'll know if they are done or not. The first test is to see if the
> rib tip meat has pulled back up the bone. I prefer 3/8" to 1/4"
> although I know of others who say 1/4" is enough. The other test is
> to pick the ribs up at the end with your tongs. I the ribs
> "crack" (seperate between 2 ribs) they're done. Combined, these two
> tests are all you need to know your ribs are done or need more
> cooking.
>
> -frohe

Thanks frohe,

That's usually how I judge ribs when making them on the gas grill
(offset and smoked with wood chunks in foil) They are always perfect. I
guess I took "no peeking" to heart. The next batch of ribs will be
peeked at at about 3 hours time.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:

> I do use an instant read thermometer when I do a beer can chicken on the
> gas grill (offset) I just eyeball the ribs for color and shrinkage along
> the bone.
>
> I'm living proof that one is never too old to learn new things.

I always want to know what the temp is at my grate levels. As for
doneness of ribs: if they "break" when you bend 'em - they're done.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 8-Mar-2009, Duwop > wrote:

> On Mar 7, 9:11*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
> > I have a remote thermometer that I got at WalMart. It needs to go into
> > meat.

> That's true, for butt and brisket. For ribs and chix there's plenty of
> tells so you don't need to use a thermometer on em. In the future
> you'll probably want to take a first peek around the 4 hour mark, on a
> hot day or when you think you have a hot fire going on, 3.5 hours
> would be a good time. Those are a couple of personal fast times for
> ribs at any rate.
>
> I've never once used a thermometer on either of those two cuts, never
> considered it really. Wouldn't think of trying to do a butt without
> using one either.

What Duwop said about ribs,. Chix have been another story for me.
I've had a hell of a time over the years getting them cooked right.
Lately, I've taken to stabbing then 3 or 4 times with an instant read
therm when I think they're getting close to done. Therms have lied
to me so many times and left me with raw chicken that I'm pretty
paranoid about looks and therm readings. So, any reading I get
under about 165F, they stay in the cooker until all readings are at
or over 165F. Just my 2¢. Bless those that can look and be right
most of the time.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 8, 8:06*pm, "Brick" > wrote:
> On *8-Mar-2009, Duwop > wrote:
>
> > On Mar 7, 9:11*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> > > I have a remote thermometer that I got at WalMart. It needs to go into
> > > meat.

> > That's true, for butt and brisket. For ribs and chix there's plenty of
> > tells so you don't need to use a thermometer on em. In the future
> > you'll probably want to take a first peek around the 4 hour mark, on a
> > hot day or when you think you have a hot fire going on, 3.5 hours
> > would be a good time. Those are a couple of personal fast times for
> > ribs at any rate.

> > I've never once used a thermometer on either of those two cuts, never
> > considered it really. Wouldn't think of trying to do a butt without
> > using one either.

> What Duwop said about ribs,. Chix have been another story for me.
> I've had a hell of a time over the years getting them cooked right.
> Lately, I've taken to stabbing then 3 or 4 times with an instant read
> therm when I think they're getting close to done. Therms have lied
> to me so many times and left me with raw chicken that I'm pretty
> paranoid about looks and therm readings. So, any reading I get
> under about 165F, they stay in the cooker until all readings are at
> or over 165F. Just my 2¢. Bless those that can look and be right
> most of the time.
>
> --
> Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)

I hear ya Bricker, raw chicken is for the birds. ;-)
I always err on the "too done" side of things, but since we're talking
about slow cooking and they're often brined to boot, overcooked isn't
a bad thing.

Not like, oh, say a nice steak. That's heinous. An overdone chick is
jes a lil drier is all.

So shake a leg and shake that leg.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 7, 3:38*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> > Go down about 3/4 of the way down this page to see the other ways to
> > use the rib rack. *I have found that I can load my upright to the
> > gills with ribs standing the ribs on edge. *I >think< that was the
> > original intent.

> Which page????

Sorry, I thought I got this in the

http://www.squidoo.com/weberbullet

Just scroll down until the see the racks. You can easily double the
capacity of your smoker if you will use the racks with the ribs
standing upright.

I have one that is a big "V" shaped affair as well as the one on that
page that has the ribs in it.

Just one rack and a little forethought, and you can really load an
upright with meat.

This is a good thing; I wanted the larger Weber, but not at the
published prices I am seeing. I paid $199 delivered for my WSM (worth
every penny), but if it had been $299 I wouldn't have bit. I would
have waited for a nice used pit.

Robert

Win a $4,299 Upright Cooker [email protected] General Cooking 2 12-04-2009 03:19 AM
Upright Smokers??? Janet Wilder[_3_] Barbecue 134 11-03-2009 02:08 AM
Upright Smokers??? [email protected][_2_] Barbecue 1 07-03-2009 08:32 PM
upright smokers Dirty Harry Barbecue 7 17-06-2006 02:04 AM
Upright Freezer found! Rick & Cyndi Cooking Equipment 24 05-10-2003 01:12 PM