Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default How long to keep pork butt in refrigerator?

Question for the experts. Pork butt is .98 a pound here Sunday, Monday and
Tuesday. If I buy it Tuesday and don't use it until Saturday is it alright
to keep it in the refrigerator instead of freezing? How long would you keep
a pork butt refrgerated instead of freezing? Does store wrapping versus
cryo-packing make a difference in your decision?
Thank you,
Ric in Rock Hill

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ric wrote:
> Question for the experts. Pork butt is .98 a pound here Sunday, Monday and
> Tuesday. If I buy it Tuesday and don't use it until Saturday is it alright
> to keep it in the refrigerator instead of freezing? How long would you keep
> a pork butt refrgerated instead of freezing? Does store wrapping versus
> cryo-packing make a difference in your decision?
> Thank you,
> Ric in Rock Hill

It's probably 5 or 6 weeks old when you bought it.
Another 5 days ain't gonna hurt.

Food service rules here in TX says that thawed food must be consumed or
discarded in 1 week.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ric" > wrote in message
> Question for the experts. Pork butt is .98 a pound here Sunday, Monday and
> Tuesday. If I buy it Tuesday and don't use it until Saturday is it alright
> to keep it in the refrigerator instead of freezing? How long would you
> keep a pork butt refrgerated instead of freezing? Does store wrapping
> versus cryo-packing make a difference in your decision?
> Thank you,
> Ric in Rock Hill

The cryo packed stuff is good for about 10 or 12 years I think. I've kept
those meats for weeks with no adverse affects.

The regular wrapping is good for 5 to 7 days. Maybe more, but I don't go
beyond that. I'd buy on Tuesday and not worry at all.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Ric" > wrote in message
>
>>Question for the experts. Pork butt is .98 a pound here Sunday, Monday and
>>Tuesday. If I buy it Tuesday and don't use it until Saturday is it alright
>>to keep it in the refrigerator instead of freezing? How long would you
>>keep a pork butt refrgerated instead of freezing? Does store wrapping
>>versus cryo-packing make a difference in your decision?
>>Thank you,
>>Ric in Rock Hill
>>

> The cryo packed stuff is good for about 10 or 12 years I think. I've kept
> those meats for weeks with no adverse affects.
>
> The regular wrapping is good for 5 to 7 days. Maybe more, but I don't go
> beyond that. I'd buy on Tuesday and not worry at all.

And, once you have smoked the shoulders and pulled them to make vitamin P,
how long will that last in the refrigerator? Is there any way to cook one
day and serve 2-3 days later and still have it taste as good?

seattlepitboss
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Grant Erwin" > wrote in message

> And, once you have smoked the shoulders and pulled them to make vitamin P,
> how long will that last in the refrigerator? Is there any way to cook one
> day and serve 2-3 days later and still have it taste as good?
>
> seattlepitboss

The trick is to store it well sealed reheat it gently Should be good for
four or five days. Anything longer I'd freeze in a Foodsaver bag.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ric" > wrote in message
> Question for the experts. Pork butt is .98 a pound here Sunday, Monday and
> Tuesday. If I buy it Tuesday and don't use it until Saturday is it alright
> to keep it in the refrigerator instead of freezing? How long would you
> keep a pork butt refrgerated instead of freezing? Does store wrapping
> versus cryo-packing make a difference in your decision?
> Thank you,
> Ric in Rock Hill

Brine it! Use at least 1 oz by weight of salt and whatever else suits you.
If you really want to preserve it brine it with Morton's Tenderquick.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 09:40:50 -0800, "Theron" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Ric" > wrote in message
>>> Question for the experts. Pork butt is .98 a pound here Sunday, Monday
>>> and
>>> Tuesday. If I buy it Tuesday and don't use it until Saturday is it
>>> alright
>>> to keep it in the refrigerator instead of freezing? How long would you
>>> keep a pork butt refrgerated instead of freezing? Does store wrapping
>>> versus cryo-packing make a difference in your decision?
>>> Thank you,
>>> Ric in Rock Hill
>>>

>>Brine it! Use at least 1 oz by weight of salt and whatever else suits you.

> (for clarity)
> Was that "1 oz per lb of meat" or "1 oz per gallon of water" or ?

minimum of 1 oz salt per quart of water - Sorry for the confusion

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ric wrote:
> Question for the experts. Pork butt is .98 a pound here Sunday, Monday and
> Tuesday. If I buy it Tuesday and don't use it until Saturday is it alright
> to keep it in the refrigerator instead of freezing? How long would you keep
> a pork butt refrgerated instead of freezing? Does store wrapping versus
> cryo-packing make a difference in your decision?
> Thank you,
> Ric in Rock Hill

Just for the record, I bought a two pack of cryovaced pork butts on Jan
28th. The sell-by date was Feb 7th. I just cooked them last night and
they were just fine.

Only applies to Cryovaced pork.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Ric wrote:
>> Question for the experts. Pork butt is .98 a pound here Sunday, Monday
>> and Tuesday. If I buy it Tuesday and don't use it until Saturday is it
>> alright to keep it in the refrigerator instead of freezing? How long
>> would you keep a pork butt refrgerated instead of freezing? Does store
>> wrapping versus cryo-packing make a difference in your decision?
>> Thank you,
>> Ric in Rock Hill

> Just for the record, I bought a two pack of cryovaced pork butts on Jan
> 28th. The sell-by date was Feb 7th. I just cooked them last night and
> they were just fine.
>
> Only applies to Cryovaced pork.
>
> -sw

Why only pork?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mike" > wrote in message

>> Only applies to Cryovaced pork.
>>
>> -sw

> Why only pork?

I think he means Cryovaced, not pork. This thread happened to be pork. It
is an oxygen free atmosphere and meat lasts a very long time that way.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Grant Erwin" > wrote in message
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> "Ric" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Question for the experts. Pork butt is .98 a pound here Sunday, Monday
>>>and Tuesday. If I buy it Tuesday and don't use it until Saturday is it
>>>alright to keep it in the refrigerator instead of freezing? How long
>>>would you keep a pork butt refrgerated instead of freezing? Does store
>>>wrapping versus cryo-packing make a difference in your decision?
>>>Thank you,
>>>Ric in Rock Hill
>>>

>> The cryo packed stuff is good for about 10 or 12 years I think. I've
>> kept those meats for weeks with no adverse affects.
>>
>> The regular wrapping is good for 5 to 7 days. Maybe more, but I don't go
>> beyond that. I'd buy on Tuesday and not worry at all.

> And, once you have smoked the shoulders and pulled them to make vitamin P,
> how long will that last in the refrigerator? Is there any way to cook one
> day and serve 2-3 days later and still have it taste as good?

In my experience, no. It never tastes as good as fresh off the pit. I'm a
picky bitch though.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Theron" > wrote in message

> "Ric" > wrote in message
>> Question for the experts. Pork butt is .98 a pound here Sunday, Monday
>> and Tuesday. If I buy it Tuesday and don't use it until Saturday is it
>> alright to keep it in the refrigerator instead of freezing? How long
>> would you keep a pork butt refrgerated instead of freezing? Does store
>> wrapping versus cryo-packing make a difference in your decision?
>> Thank you,
>> Ric in Rock Hill
>>

> Brine it! Use at least 1 oz by weight of salt and whatever else suits you.
> If you really want to preserve it brine it with Morton's Tenderquick.

Can you say Ham?

TFM®

Pork Butt! Sky General Cooking 15 06-10-2012 07:58 AM
Help with a Pork Butt Janet Wilder[_1_] Barbecue 87 29-12-2007 03:32 AM
Storing ribs or whatever, how long in refrigerator Zz Yzx Barbecue 6 14-02-2006 03:35 AM
Butt, how long can it sit after done?? Marty Barbecue 1 30-05-2004 02:09 PM
First Pork Butt- Thank You All Robert Lusk Barbecue 1 16-12-2003 10:24 PM