Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Pressure Cooker "Faux BBQ" Pork Loin Spare Ribs

I just bought a Fagor 4 quart pressure cooker pot a few days ago and
the first thing I tried cooking was pork spare ribs.

It only took about 15 minutes at 15 PSI in the pressure cooker and 10
minutes of crisping in the oven to prepare the ribs.

I was a bit skeptical at first since I've always made my ribs either
in the oven or on the grill using the "low & slow" method for several
hours. I also have a smoker box for the grill which works fairly well.

The ribs were surprisingly very tasty, especially after I caramelized
some barbecue sauce on them using the oven's broiler.

I wrote up the details of my recipe and put some pictures in this
gallery.
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/P...k-Ribs-Recipe/

I plan on trying this again soon with beef ribs since they're less
expensive. The pressure cooker should be able to make them just as
tender and juicy as the pork loin.

Cheers,
Paul Michaels
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Paul Michaels" > wrote in message
>I just bought a Fagor 4 quart pressure cooker pot a few days ago and
> the first thing I tried cooking was pork spare ribs.
>
> It only took about 15 minutes at 15 PSI in the pressure cooker and 10
> minutes of crisping in the oven to prepare the ribs.
>
> I was a bit skeptical at first since I've always made my ribs either
> in the oven or on the grill using the "low & slow" method for several
> hours. I also have a smoker box for the grill which works fairly well.
>
> The ribs were surprisingly very tasty, especially after I caramelized
> some barbecue sauce on them using the oven's broiler.
>
> I wrote up the details of my recipe and put some pictures in this
> gallery.
> http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/P...k-Ribs-Recipe/
>
> I plan on trying this again soon with beef ribs since they're less
> expensive. The pressure cooker should be able to make them just as
> tender and juicy as the pork loin.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul Michaels
> Ft. Lauderdale, FL

You musta got that recipe from one of my ex wives that lives down in your
area. She was cooking them like that over 30 years ago. I ate them.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> Big Jim wrote:
>> "Paul Michaels" > wrote in message
>>> I just bought a Fagor 4 quart pressure cooker pot a few days ago and
>>> the first thing I tried cooking was pork spare ribs.
>>>
>>> It only took about 15 minutes at 15 PSI in the pressure cooker and 10
>>> minutes of crisping in the oven to prepare the ribs.
>>>
>>> I was a bit skeptical at first since I've always made my ribs either
>>> in the oven or on the grill using the "low & slow" method for several
>>> hours. I also have a smoker box for the grill which works fairly
>>> well.
>>>
>>> The ribs were surprisingly very tasty, especially after I caramelized
>>> some barbecue sauce on them using the oven's broiler.
>>>
>>> I wrote up the details of my recipe and put some pictures in this
>>> gallery.
>>> http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/P...k-Ribs-Recipe/
>>>
>>> I plan on trying this again soon with beef ribs since they're less
>>> expensive. The pressure cooker should be able to make them just as
>>> tender and juicy as the pork loin.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Paul Michaels
>>> Ft. Lauderdale, FL

>> You musta got that recipe from one of my ex wives that lives down in
>> your area. She was cooking them like that over 30 years ago. I ate
>> them.

> Damn, Jim, so there's none left for us?
>
> :-)
>
> MartyB

Hey they really wern't bad. Just not BBQ
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 28-May-2008, "Big Jim" > wrote:

> "Paul Michaels" > wrote in message
> >I just bought a Fagor 4 quart pressure cooker pot a few days ago and
> > the first thing I tried cooking was pork spare ribs.
> >
> > It only took about 15 minutes at 15 PSI in the pressure cooker and 10
> > minutes of crisping in the oven to prepare the ribs.
> >
> > I was a bit skeptical at first since I've always made my ribs either
> > in the oven or on the grill using the "low & slow" method for several
> > hours. I also have a smoker box for the grill which works fairly well.
> >
> > The ribs were surprisingly very tasty, especially after I caramelized
> > some barbecue sauce on them using the oven's broiler.
> >
> > I wrote up the details of my recipe and put some pictures in this
> > gallery.
> > http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/P...k-Ribs-Recipe/
> >
> > I plan on trying this again soon with beef ribs since they're less
> > expensive. The pressure cooker should be able to make them just as
> > tender and juicy as the pork loin.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Paul Michaels
> > Ft. Lauderdale, FL

> You musta got that recipe from one of my ex wives that lives down in your
> area. She was cooking them like that over 30 years ago. I ate them.
> --
> James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

Alton Brown braised some babybacks a few days ago. I was intrigued by his
reclaiming all
of the braising liquid and converting it to a finishing glaze. My primary
complaint with braising in general is the loss of most of the flavor along
with
the discarded braising liquid. Converting all of the braising liquid into an
edible
portion of the meal such as gravy or a glaze neatly avoids the waste. Using
pressure cooker like Paul did would vastly speed up the process.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._11125,00.html

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 28-May-2008, "Big Jim" > wrote:
>
>> "Paul Michaels" > wrote in message
>>> I just bought a Fagor 4 quart pressure cooker pot a few days ago and
>>> the first thing I tried cooking was pork spare ribs.
>>>
>>> It only took about 15 minutes at 15 PSI in the pressure cooker and 10
>>> minutes of crisping in the oven to prepare the ribs.
>>>
>>> I was a bit skeptical at first since I've always made my ribs either
>>> in the oven or on the grill using the "low & slow" method for several
>>> hours. I also have a smoker box for the grill which works fairly well.
>>>
>>> The ribs were surprisingly very tasty, especially after I caramelized
>>> some barbecue sauce on them using the oven's broiler.
>>>
>>> I wrote up the details of my recipe and put some pictures in this
>>> gallery.
>>> http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/P...k-Ribs-Recipe/
>>>
>>> I plan on trying this again soon with beef ribs since they're less
>>> expensive. The pressure cooker should be able to make them just as
>>> tender and juicy as the pork loin.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Paul Michaels
>>> Ft. Lauderdale, FL

>> You musta got that recipe from one of my ex wives that lives down in your
>> area. She was cooking them like that over 30 years ago. I ate them.
>> --
>> James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

> Alton Brown braised some babybacks a few days ago. I was intrigued by his
> reclaiming all
> of the braising liquid and converting it to a finishing glaze. My primary
> complaint with braising in general is the loss of most of the flavor along
> with
> the discarded braising liquid. Converting all of the braising liquid into an
> edible
> portion of the meal such as gravy or a glaze neatly avoids the waste. Using
> pressure cooker like Paul did would vastly speed up the process.
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._11125,00.html

I have been using a version of his dry rub from that recipe for several
years.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Paul Michaels > wrote:
> I just bought a Fagor 4 quart pressure cooker pot a few days ago and
> the first thing I tried cooking was pork spare ribs.

[...]

I tried this last night, following your method exactly. The only
thing I did differently was to reduce the cooking liquid to make
a sauce for the broiling.

The flavor was fine. The texture of the meat, on the other hand,
was vaguely unappealing - too soft. If I do it again, I'll
probably reduce the time in the pressure cooker by a couple of
minutes.

Can't beat it for cooking time, though.

--
Mark Shaw
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new