Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Ham- As In Fully Cooked, Sugardale Shank

I'm cooking (or re-heating) one tomorrow night for dinner. I'm going
to grill it over lower, in-direct heat . I'm figuring on heating it to
an internal temp of about 145-150, and using apple wood chips for
added smoke flavor. Does all this sound about right? Any suggestions
or ideas?

Thanks,

JimnGin
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"JimnGin" > wrote in message
> I'm cooking (or re-heating) one tomorrow night for dinner. I'm going
> to grill it over lower, in-direct heat . I'm figuring on heating it to
> an internal temp of about 145-150, and using apple wood chips for
> added smoke flavor. Does all this sound about right? Any suggestions
> or ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> JimnGin

When I do this I grill over indirect heat with a wood chunk or so at a very
low heat, 250F or so. As it's fully cooked, you don't need to have the
internal temperature warmer than what you want to taste. I stop at 125F, and
rest it in a warming oven. The internal temp. will rise to 130F in 20-25
minutes and that's about what you want.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 8, 6:25 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> "JimnGin" > wrote in message

> > Thanks,

> > JimnGin

> When I do this I grill over indirect heat with a wood chunk or so at a very
> low heat, 250F or so. As it's fully cooked, you don't need to have the
> internal temperature warmer than what you want to taste. I stop at 125F, and
> rest it in a warming oven. The internal temp. will rise to 130F in 20-25
> minutes and that's about what you want.
>
> Kent

Thanks, Kent, for the info! I took the ham off of the grill after
about 3 hours or so, once it had reached an internal temp of about
135F, and let it rest in a warm oven until everything else was ready.
It turned out really well, and got rave reviews from the dinner
guests!

I think I'm going to use the leftovers to make "ham salad", or
"sandwich spread". I'm going to put the leftover ham, along with some
sweet pickles, a handful or 2 of peanuts, and some mayo in the food
processor, and pulse until well blended! I may throw a little bologna
in with the mix, if it feels right at the time.

Thanks again for the help!

JimnGin

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

JimnGin wrote:
> On Apr 8, 6:25 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
>
>>"JimnGin" > wrote in message

>>>Thanks,

>>>JimnGin

>>When I do this I grill over indirect heat with a wood chunk or so at a very
>>low heat, 250F or so. As it's fully cooked, you don't need to have the
>>internal temperature warmer than what you want to taste. I stop at 125F, and
>>rest it in a warming oven. The internal temp. will rise to 130F in 20-25
>>minutes and that's about what you want.
>>
>>Kent

> Thanks, Kent, for the info! I took the ham off of the grill after
> about 3 hours or so, once it had reached an internal temp of about
> 135F, and let it rest in a warm oven until everything else was ready.
> It turned out really well, and got rave reviews from the dinner
> guests!
>
> I think I'm going to use the leftovers to make "ham salad", or
> "sandwich spread". I'm going to put the leftover ham, along with some
> sweet pickles, a handful or 2 of peanuts, and some mayo in the food
> processor, and pulse until well blended! I may throw a little bologna
> in with the mix, if it feels right at the time.

I have one of those KitchenAid food grinder attachments, and when I have
leftover ham I grind it, then put it in ziploc freezer bags and freeze it.
I add the ground ham to soups, omelets, quiches, sometimes salads, and yes,
occasionally ham salad sandwiches.

Grant
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"JimnGin" > wrote in message
> On Apr 8, 6:25 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
>> "JimnGin" > wrote in message

>> > Thanks,

>> > JimnGin

>> When I do this I grill over indirect heat with a wood chunk or so at a
>> very
>> low heat, 250F or so. As it's fully cooked, you don't need to have the
>> internal temperature warmer than what you want to taste. I stop at 125F,
>> and
>> rest it in a warming oven. The internal temp. will rise to 130F in 20-25
>> minutes and that's about what you want.
>>
>> Kent

> Thanks, Kent, for the info! I took the ham off of the grill after
> about 3 hours or so, once it had reached an internal temp of about
> 135F, and let it rest in a warm oven until everything else was ready.
> It turned out really well, and got rave reviews from the dinner
> guests!
>
> I think I'm going to use the leftovers to make "ham salad", or
> "sandwich spread". I'm going to put the leftover ham, along with some
> sweet pickles, a handful or 2 of peanuts, and some mayo in the food
> processor, and pulse until well blended! I may throw a little bologna
> in with the mix, if it feels right at the time.
>
> Thanks again for the help!
>
> JimnGin

I'd suggest chopping the ham in a food processor into small bits. Don't let
it turn into mush. Then mix in sweet relish and mayo to taste. You can
optionally throw in some chopped celery, though relish alone is fine. Ham
salad should have a bit of "crunch".

Cheers

Kent