Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default grilled wings tonight

We voted, and decided to have a "retro" supper tonight. I got a mess of
wings, and am going to slow grill them out on the grill, basting them
repeatedly with KC Masterpiece. I've not done that in years, since it's
such a mess cleaning up the grates. They're due for a good cleaning,
anyway, so what the heck. To keep it purely "retro," there won't be any
smoking beforehand or even Carolina-type sauce.
--
Nonny

Nonnymus
A penny saved is obviously a
government oversight.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 3, 5:12 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:

> We voted, and decided to have a "retro" supper tonight. I got a mess of
> wings, and am going to slow grill them out on the grill, basting them
> repeatedly with KC Masterpiece. I've not done that in years, since it's
> such a mess cleaning up the grates.

That is something I really hate about having the SO's family over.
They LOVE barbecue sauce, and they think if they are "gettin' all over
ya" they are having some good stuff. I am not used to it, I don't
like all the crap on the grill, and the taste isn't my style.

BUT, that's what they grew up with. Dad used to make his chicken (and
burgers!) that way, so that give them a "retro" trip down memory lane
as well.

For my trip down memory lane to remember my Dad's barbecue, I would
have to burn the meat to char, have half the chicken cooked, and half
burned, and the sausages hard enough to drive nails with in case of
emergency.

Mom's iced tea and banana pudding was always good, though!

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Had the same thing back in the 60's, we would have these awsome pork
chops 1and half inches thick and Dad would always come home drunk and
burn the crap out of them till they were black and crispy on the
outside and dry as a bone, mmm mmm can just taste them now...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:

>> The wings cooked on the grill with KC Masterpiece cooked in were
>> darned good, and sure brought back memories. I did a bunch, then
>> bagged the leftovers for breakfasts and to go with soup in the
>> evening.
>> Cooking that way was sure standard fare in the 50's and 60, slowly
>> disappearing in the 70's in favor of dry rubbed meats with sauce on
>> the side or added before serving. Pork chops were another retro
>> thing with us. I'd get them about 1/2" thick (they're better thin)
>> and cook them fairly slowly with KC Masterpiece-type sauce so it
>> carmelized. They'd be about 3/4" thick when ready to serve. <Grin>

> I'd eat 'em any day of the week.

Yup, there's still a place in my heart for "retro" barbecuing.

This might get me kicked off this fine newsgroup and perhaps even have
my right to call myself a Missourian rescinded, but has anyone ever
barbecued a steak? It's not bad, to be honest.

Mrs. Nonny and I loved a barbecue rib joint in Fort Wayne, and would eat
there at least once a week. Their rib sauce (KC style) was very good,
as were their aged steaks. They'd smoke their ribs, then dunk them into
a pan of sauce just before serving them. One evening I'd had a couple
martinis and asked them to dunk their 16 oz. T-bone into the sauce. It
was a battle, and even involved the owner coming to the table to see if
I was a danger to myself and others. Finally, they did and served a
barbecue steak to me. It was very, very good. In fact, I shared a bite
with the owner and also the owner's brother, who was the cook.

To make a long story short, it later became a menu item and like the
ribs, the "barbecued steak" was one of the place's specialties.

FWIW, cooking the sauce into the meat, as I discussed above about
chicken and pork chops, doesn't work well with steak. Brushing it with
KC-style sauce just before removing from the grill seems best. I've
tried it with the Rudy's (less sweet) sauce, the mustardy sauces and the
vinegar based sauces, and it doesn't work. The best simple solution is
KC Masterpiece, Bullseye or a similar sauce.

We're having company coming in next week- a group of gals Mrs. Nonny and
I've known since the days BEFORE kindergarten. They're all the anorexic
types: "Oh dear, I couldn't possibly eat a single more leaf of
watercress," until they get here. By the time they leave, I bet I can
put 5# on each and every one of them. <grin> The first night is gonna
be pulled pork sandwiches with Marzetti slaw, kale and white beans and
banana pudding. I also laid in 6 racks of the prettiest baby backs you
ever saw and got a big bunch of scallops and shrimp to serve with
gazpacho another night. I think they'll be happy.

--
Nonny

Nonnymus
A penny saved is obviously a
government oversight.

Grilled Chicken Wings Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 2 17-07-2008 05:28 AM
grilled chicken wings [email protected] Barbecue 7 30-01-2006 03:34 AM
Grilled Spicy Wings 7 Hawks Recipes 0 02-07-2005 02:57 AM
Grilled Chicken Wings Duckie ® Recipes 0 30-05-2005 04:11 PM
Ideas for Hot Wings and Grilled Thighs? Kevin S. Wilson Barbecue 11 12-02-2004 06:32 PM