Weber Grill - Spirit vs. Genesis?

Old 26-02-2008, 06:26 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Weber Grill - Spirit vs. Genesis?

I'm in the market for a new gas grill, as my 2 1/2 year old Charbroil
is rusted out, and I'm tired of buying new grills every 2-3 years.

First, a question about Weber in general. I've heard great things not
only about how well the grills are built, but can I still expect parts
(like the grate, burners, flavorizers, box, etc) to rust out after
just a couple of years? I know you can easily buy replacement parts
from Weber, but I don't want to get stuck in the same cycle I'm
currently in - even if I'm just replacing parts one-at-a-time.

Second - are the Genesis models really worth almost twice what the
Spirit models are? I was looking at a Spirit E-310 with 3 burners
(36000 BTUs) at $299, and the only difference between it and the
Genesis E-320 is 6000 BTUs and a side burner. But the Genesis costs
$639. I admit that I use the side burner on my Charbroil quite a bit,
and would miss it if I bought a Spirit, but I could buy two Spirit's
for the price of the Genesis. What else justifies that huge jump in
price?

Third, am I overlooking any other grill models (Weber or otherwise)
that have a decent build, and don't cost an arm and a leg?
Old 26-02-2008, 03:07 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
tom

"Peter Gibbons" wrote in message
I'm in the market for a new gas grill, as my 2 1/2 year old Charbroil
is rusted out, and I'm tired of buying new grills every 2-3 years.

snip
I was looking at a Spirit E-310 with 3 burners
(36000 BTUs) at $299, and the only difference between it and the
Genesis E-320 is 6000 BTUs and a side burner. But the Genesis costs
$639. I admit that I use the side burner on my Charbroil quite a bit,
and would miss it if I bought a Spirit, but I could buy two Spirit's
for the price of the Genesis. What else justifies that huge jump in
price?

Third, am I overlooking any other grill models (Weber or otherwise)
that have a decent build, and don't cost an arm and a leg?

I had a Sunbeam (I believe?) natural gas grill that lasted 7 years. I
replaced it with Weber Genesis Silver (no side burner) natural gas grill.. I
found after getting the Weber home that I was able to remove the Sunbean
side burner and by removing the drop in left hand shelf on the Weber I was
able to drop in the Sunbeam side burner on my Weber. I needed to buy about
$3 worth of gas fittings to modify the gas hook up but with very little
effort and $ I now have a fully functional side burner on the Weber. Of
course if you're not comfortable modifying gas fittings this is not
advisable.

Old 27-02-2008, 07:33 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

[...]

I think many are confused by a grill's BTU's. It's not BTUs, but BTUs per
cooking area that indicates heat output. 36,000 BTUs versus 42,000 BTUs for
the Spirit and the Genesis don't mean anything because the surface area of
the Genesis is just that much larger than the Spirit, exactly in a ratio of
42,000/36,000. Basically they both have the same output as the old Silver
Genesis B. Given that, they both probably have exactly the same temp. if
you measure the temp. on the grate. The grate is very important. The highly
heat conductive cast iron grate does the most to sear the meat. The
porceleinized steel grate doesn't. The stainless steel grate is a disaster.
Stainless steel is a very poor conductor of heat. I would[and will, when I
have to] buy one of the above grills. I've been looking at both grills, and
I've decided to hang on to my old Genesis Silver B for awhile. Having said
that, I would also look at the current crop of direct infrared grills that
are starting to pop up in the marketplace. At some point that's what you're
going to want because of it's high heat output, and high temp. on the grate.

Cheers, and the best of luck in your quest!

Kent