Blocking Gmail

Old 19-02-2008, 08:45 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex

Default Blocking Gmail

Dave Bugg wrote:
Gmail spammers have so loaded down usenet with junk spam that I've
decided to block the domain. There are several of you that I really
enjoy reading, like Om and HeyBub, who use Gmail and whose posts I
will miss (guys, please switch).

Hotmail and Yahoo have very few spam originators compared to Gmail.
The sheer volume of Gmail spammers have just become too unwieldy to
block on an individual basis.

I haven't noticed many here, either. From *any* domain. And I don't use a
lot of filters. Maybe there's a filter upriver at one of the ISPs that serve
up this group to my ISP or something...

--Brett

Old 19-02-2008, 09:28 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

vex wrote:
Dave Bugg wrote:
Gmail spammers have so loaded down usenet with junk spam that I've
decided to block the domain. There are several of you that I really
enjoy reading, like Om and HeyBub, who use Gmail and whose posts I
will miss (guys, please switch).

Hotmail and Yahoo have very few spam originators compared to Gmail.
The sheer volume of Gmail spammers have just become too unwieldy to
block on an individual basis.

I haven't noticed many here, either. From *any* domain. And I don't
use a lot of filters. Maybe there's a filter upriver at one of the
ISPs that serve up this group to my ISP or something...

An individual newsgroup may not receive much, if any, spam. But there are a
number of very hi-traffic newgroups which do. I do not consider AFB to be
either hi-traffic or problematic with spam. But blocking the gmail domain
name is not done by newsgroups, it is done universally. The unhappy
side-effect of doing so is that it puts the innocent into the same gulag as
the guilty, regardless of newsgroup.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 19-02-2008, 09:43 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex

Dave Bugg wrote:
An individual newsgroup may not receive much, if any, spam. But there
are a number of very hi-traffic newgroups which do. I do not consider
AFB to be either hi-traffic or problematic with spam. But blocking
the gmail domain name is not done by newsgroups, it is done
universally. The unhappy side-effect of doing so is that it puts the
innocent into the same gulag as the guilty, regardless of newsgroup.

Agreed. I guess I just felt the need to comment about not seeing the amount
of spam using the news servers I use, as compared to you. I only utilize a
couple of high traffic groups. AFB is the lowest traffic of the bunch. The
higher traffic ones number ~1000msg/day.

About the only time I use my gmail account is to log in to google groups, or
google analytics, or google maps. But I never post to groups from there, I
generally use it as an archival search tool.

--Brett

Old 19-02-2008, 10:20 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

vex wrote:
Dave Bugg wrote:
An individual newsgroup may not receive much, if any, spam. But there
are a number of very hi-traffic newgroups which do. I do not consider
AFB to be either hi-traffic or problematic with spam. But blocking
the gmail domain name is not done by newsgroups, it is done
universally. The unhappy side-effect of doing so is that it puts the
innocent into the same gulag as the guilty, regardless of newsgroup.

Agreed. I guess I just felt the need to comment about not seeing the
amount of spam using the news servers I use, as compared to you. I
only utilize a couple of high traffic groups. AFB is the lowest
traffic of the bunch. The higher traffic ones number ~1000msg/day.

About the only time I use my gmail account is to log in to google
groups, or google analytics, or google maps. But I never post to
groups from there, I generally use it as an archival search tool.

If you do, let me know via email so I can create an exception that will let
me see your posts :-)
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 19-02-2008, 11:28 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:

vex wrote:

I haven't noticed many here, either.

An individual newsgroup may not receive much, if any, spam. But there
are a number of very hi-traffic newgroups which do. I do not consider
AFB to be either hi-traffic or problematic with spam. But blocking
the gmail domain name is not done by newsgroups, it is done
universally. The unhappy side-effect of doing so is that it puts the
innocent into the same gulag as the guilty, regardless of newsgroup.

What would be an almost sure-fire filter with very little collateral
damage would be to block any with gmail in the "author". Spammers don't
usually take time to create a nick for their spam accounts, and just
use the email address again.

I don't think I can get XanaNews to do that. It can filter on stuff in
the From header line, but it's not quite powerful enough to do
sophisticated parsing.

The newsreader is open-source, but written in Delphi. If it were C or
C++, I'd consider hacking it to put in all the features I think it
needs. Perhaps that's a good thing.

Brian

won't shut up.
Old 20-02-2008, 12:22 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Default User" wrote in message
Dave Bugg wrote:

vex wrote:

[...]

I have very good luck running a single filter looking for any exclamation
points in the subject line. It gets most of them.

--
Reason Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

All the DNA is the same.

Old 20-02-2008, 07:26 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

" wrote in
:

On Feb 18, 5:47 pm, "Nunya Bidnits" wrote:

My AT&T news server performs much better than what you describe. Try
news.kc.sbcglobal.net. If you are an ATT subscriber you may be able
to hook up.

robert att / sbc for newsgroups isn't worth a darn in my area either
and hasn't been for years. osts are pretty much wiped off after a few
days in a busy group, they carry no binaries to speak of, They don't care
about newsgroups I guess. I use xnews as a reader and use
News.astraweb.com as a provider. Using the pay by download plan costs 25
dollars for 90 gigs of download. Theres no time limit on it or speed cap
I download binaries also but if you are just reading text 90 gigs is
almost unusable, they also have a 10 dollar scheme for like 25 gigs,
Still a whole lot of text. They have great retention and completion of
groups as well. and No I don't work for them just have used them for
several years and been pretty satisfied.
Old 22-02-2008, 05:41 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" wrote in message

On 18-Feb-2008, " wrote:

Dave, does this mean you can't read a post if it comes through Google
groups as well? I don't have Gmail, but I do post through Google
groups as my ISP is so damn retarded (ATT/DSL) they can't get their
newsgroup server to 1) work correctly 2) stay online or 3) to keep
from losing posts.

I love the service/price otherwise as we don't have much competition
for high speed around here making the plan I have literally 50% less
than cable for the same speed.

I noticed I wasn't in your favorites list (ha! kidding...) so it won't
be a great loss, but just wondering here if you can see my posts.

Robert

I'm seeing your posts via Verizon news.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Are you getting this?

Harry

Old 22-02-2008, 05:51 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

"Harry" wrote

Are you getting this?

Harry

Getting what? g

As always, if you do not recieve this message, please report it immediately.

MartyB in KC

"Uh oh. Better send out an email and let everyone know our email's
down"

Actual Quote from one of my clients
Old 22-02-2008, 06:40 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18-Feb-2008, " wrote:

Dave, does this mean you can't read a post if it comes through Google
groups as well? I don't have Gmail, but I do post through Google
groups as my ISP is so damn retarded (ATT/DSL) they can't get their
newsgroup server to 1) work correctly 2) stay online or 3) to keep
from losing posts.

I love the service/price otherwise as we don't have much competition
for high speed around here making the plan I have literally 50% less
than cable for the same speed.

I noticed I wasn't in your favorites list (ha! kidding...) so it won't
be a great loss, but just wondering here if you can see my posts.

Robert

I'm seeing your posts via Verizon news.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Are you getting this?

Harry

It's fine here Harry.

--
Brick(Said the Arab as he was busily eating his date.)
Old 22-02-2008, 02:39 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

They're not using outsourced new servers. They may outsource the
people who run it, but these are SBC/Prodigy servers - always
have been.

They were Prodigy/Ameritech up here, but same thing.

I repeat again: news.dallas.sbcglobal.net works just fine. 99.5%
of the time (Except for the cancels issue).

I've got a choice between .chi (chicago) .kal (kalamazoo) and .det
(detroit). All of them work really well, but for an occassional hickup.
There are probably others I could get at too.

-John O

Old 24-02-2008, 02:41 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" wrote in message

On 18-Feb-2008, " wrote:

[...]

Interesting, Brick. Verizon must think we're all Amerikanskis because it
comes in on an USA source. But it will bounce Shaw.ca because we're all bad
people,; But if I give them more data them more data than I amprepared to,
they will pass my shaw address.

Carefull don't bite the ti . . erm ....
pits . .

Harry

Old 24-02-2008, 02:54 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" wrote in message

"Harry" wrote

Are you getting this?

Harry

Getting what? g

As always, if you do not recieve this message, please report it
immediately.

MartyB in KC

Verizon blocks all traffic from outside the USA. I'm surprised you guys are
not raise Bloody Hell! Are you copying China?

Harry