best wood for smoking venison pepperoni?

Old 23-11-2007, 04:47 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default best wood for smoking venison pepperoni?

My wife and I bought a meat grinder last year and started making our
own venison sausage. We recently bought a smoker and would like to try
our luck at making pepperoni. Can someone recommend what type of wood
would be best for smoking venison pepperoni?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Scott
Old 23-11-2007, 07:02 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"highlands hunter" wrote in message
My wife and I bought a meat grinder last year and started making our
own venison sausage. We recently bought a smoker and would like to try
our luck at making pepperoni. Can someone recommend what type of wood
would be best for smoking venison pepperoni?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Scott

What exactly are you making? True pepperoni is a dry cured sausage and it
not smoked.
http://homecooking.about.com/library...e/blpork85.htm

This is a *******ized version
http://www.bakespace.com/index.php?m...w&lst_id=25448

If I was to smoke it, I'd probably use hickory or apple.

Old 24-11-2007, 12:52 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

highlands hunter wrote:
My wife and I bought a meat grinder last year and started making our
own venison sausage. We recently bought a smoker and would like to try
our luck at making pepperoni. Can someone recommend what type of wood
would be best for smoking venison pepperoni?

Hickory, maple, alder, any fruit hardwood like cherry, apple or plum.
They'll each impart a different flavor, so keep notes!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Old 26-11-2007, 04:59 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

I agree with Ed, pepperoni is a dry cured product not smoked. I do however
smoke pepperoni to enhance the flavor. Just remove the casing and cold
smoke for two to three hours using apple or hickory. You can try any fruit
wood you want. I mainly use apple.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:00 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"highlands hunter" wrote in message
My wife and I bought a meat grinder last year and started making our
own venison sausage. We recently bought a smoker and would like to try
our luck at making pepperoni. Can someone recommend what type of wood
would be best for smoking venison pepperoni?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Scott

not traditionally smoked but..............

you can oversmoke, go for a fruit wood like apple or cherry.

joe