Not BBQ, but, brine a turkey before deep frying?

Old 26-07-2007, 04:21 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Not BBQ, but, brine a turkey before deep frying?

I've never brined anything, so... I figure the good folks here are the most
knowledgeable I've run into when it comes to BBQ, so probably when it comes
to the deep fried turkey as well.

I've deep fried a few in the past, some with injections, some without, all
with basically just salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder sprinkled on the
outside.

Having a get together here in a few weekends, I'm doing up some brisket or
pulled pork, not sure which yet, but my brother in law wants to do a deep
fried turkey as well, small one, prob. around 9-10lb.

Thanks!

Old 27-07-2007, 03:34 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"43fan" wrote in message
. ..
I've never brined anything, so... I figure the good folks here are the
most knowledgeable I've run into when it comes to BBQ, so probably when it
comes to the deep fried turkey as well.

I've deep fried a few in the past, some with injections, some without, all
with basically just salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder sprinkled on the
outside.

Having a get together here in a few weekends, I'm doing up some brisket or
pulled pork, not sure which yet, but my brother in law wants to do a deep
fried turkey as well, small one, prob. around 9-10lb.

Thanks!

I haven't deep fried a turkey, but if I were, I would definitely brine.
Brining adds flavor and salt to the meat, and retains moisture, particularly
in the breast meat. When you deep fry you sear and seal the outside. At the
same time you cook the interior.
The moisture and added seasonings will be there when you chow down.
Create your brine solution; put the turkey in a 2.5 gallon zip lock bag with
the brine for at least 24 hours. Then dry it out, and do what you were
originally going to do.
Report back to us.
TIA

Kent

BTW, what kind of oil do you use? How many times can you use it before you
have to replace the oil?

Old 27-07-2007, 05:21 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"43fan" wrote in message
. ..
I've never brined anything, so... I figure the good folks here are the
most knowledgeable I've run into when it comes to BBQ, so probably when it
comes to the deep fried turkey as well.

I've deep fried a few in the past, some with injections, some without, all
with basically just salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder sprinkled on the
outside.

Having a get together here in a few weekends, I'm doing up some brisket or
pulled pork, not sure which yet, but my brother in law wants to do a deep
fried turkey as well, small one, prob. around 9-10lb.

Thanks!

Alton Brown's recipe:

http://tinyurl.com/y6fz2u

Not saying that it's a good brine (or recipe, for that matter), just
illustrating that it is done.

Old 27-07-2007, 01:19 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Paco's Tacos wrote:
"43fan" wrote in message
. ..
I've never brined anything, so... I figure the good folks here are
the most knowledgeable I've run into when it comes to BBQ, so
probably when it comes to the deep fried turkey as well.

I've deep fried a few in the past, some with injections, some
without, all with basically just salt, pepper, garlic and onion
powder sprinkled on the outside.

Having a get together here in a few weekends, I'm doing up some
brisket or pulled pork, not sure which yet, but my brother in law
wants to do a deep fried turkey as well, small one, prob. around
9-10lb. Thanks!

Alton Brown's recipe:

http://tinyurl.com/y6fz2u

Not saying that it's a good brine (or recipe, for that matter), just
illustrating that it is done.

Try this site:

http://gallus.tamu.edu/Extension%20p...ons/l-5382.pdf

--