Posted to alt.food.barbecue
EZ EZ is offline

Default What's cookin' this weekend?

How's about a thread telling everybody what you're cooking this fine
weekend? In the USA, Monday is when we celebrate Memorial Day, and it's
usually a big barbecue weekend.

I'm doing:

Two 9-1/2 pound bone-in turkey breasts, to be injected tonight with juice
and Jack Daniels mixture
Six racks of Costco babyback ribs already coated with various rubs for
variety.

All on the Traeger starting at 1:00 tomorrow. Cook 'til they're done, then
fill up the Traeger with sweet peppers, squash, zucchini, onions, and any
other fresh veggies covered with EVOO and a little S&P, while the meat rests
and gets cut up. Homemade potato salad and a pot of doctored-up baked beans
will finish out the sides. Somewhere around a dozen people coming over, give
or take a few, and I want to be sure there's enough for everybody to take
some home!

EZ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

We bought the large Big Green Egg last weekend so I am pretty new to this.
By the time I got the table stained, that didn't leave us much time for
cooking. Anyway, I have a couple of pork tenderloins marinading as we
speak. I think I may try smoking a pork butt.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 25 May 2007 11:11:38 -0500, probe1957 wrote:

> We bought the large Big Green Egg last weekend so I am pretty new to this.
> By the time I got the table stained, that didn't leave us much time for
> cooking. Anyway, I have a couple of pork tenderloins marinading as we
> speak. I think I may try smoking a pork butt.

Pork tenderloins ?!?!?! <snork>? What kind of pussy-shit is that?
This guy has a BGE and all he cooks are a couple of those sissy
pork tenderloins <boggle>.

-at
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
EZ EZ is offline

Anonymous Troll wrote:

> This guy has a BGE and all he cooks are a couple of those sissy
> pork tenderloins <boggle>.

I'm assuming this is a tongue-in-cheek post! Anyway, if I had a brand-new
BGE, the first thing I'd be doing is something really simple. Lessee now,
hmmmm., big three-day weekend, lotsa kids and younger family members around,
brand-new untried cooker, I'm thinkin' burgers 'n' dogs! Bratwurst, too, if
I feel particularly brave. Steaks and chops next week. Then maybe when I've
had it a couple weeks, try the longer-cooking meats.

When I got my Traeger, I did nothing but small cuts of quick-cooking grill
meats, like skinless chicken breasts, steaks, fish filets, and even a pizza
on a stone, for a couple of weeks.

Best of luck to one and all, no matter what you're cooking, or cooking on!

EZ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

2 pork butts (haven't got them yet so weight is TBA) chicken parts and baked
beans for a mini-family get together this sunday. I've got some vac packed
brisket in the freezer that will be brought back to life in some boiling
water (love my Foodsaver). will probably jazz up a bag salad

Some version of potatoes and something for dessert will be on the menu, i'm
counting inspirationg while shopping early am tomorrow.

NO CAPS to reply

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"EZ" > wrote in message
> How's about a thread telling everybody what you're cooking this fine
> weekend? In the USA, Monday is when we celebrate Memorial Day, and it's
> usually a big barbecue weekend.
>
> I'm doing:
>
> Two 9-1/2 pound bone-in turkey breasts, to be injected tonight with juice
> and Jack Daniels mixture
> Six racks of Costco babyback ribs already coated with various rubs for
> variety.
>
> All on the Traeger starting at 1:00 tomorrow. Cook 'til they're done, then
> fill up the Traeger with sweet peppers, squash, zucchini, onions, and any
> other fresh veggies covered with EVOO and a little S&P, while the meat
> rests and gets cut up. Homemade potato salad and a pot of doctored-up
> baked beans will finish out the sides. Somewhere around a dozen people
> coming over, give or take a few, and I want to be sure there's enough for
> everybody to take some home!
>
> EZ

Three racks of spares with Blues Hog rub
Three racks with Mary's Cherry
Ten breasts with a variety of rubs
Smoke: Cherry & Apple

All cooking on the Stump's 222CM as I write this. Should be ready for a late
lunch.

On Monday, 6 Tri-Tips with Santa Maria style rub cooked over red oak.

Oh yeah, and way too many cold beers!!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

3# of mixed chicken gizzards, hearts and livers with home made fries.
If the neighbors are home, I might also do 3 racks of ribs and invite
them over.
--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Well, if the weather holds up, I will be cooking outside and will be making some
of my world famous hamburgers (1 pound ground chuck, 1 pound Jimmy Dean sausage,
Worcestershire's) sauce, dry onion soup, salt and pepper, and Goya Adobo
seasoning). That gets accompanied with my world famous potato salad, chips,
sodas for the kids and cold ones for the adults.

If the weather does not hold up, then there is plan B. Gumbo. I bought a pail
of gumbo at Sam's and will enhance the flavor with some fresh jalapeños, fresh
sausage from Elgin, TX and some okra. There will be the regular fare, Cholula
hot sauce, sliced jalapeños, bread and sodas for the kids and cold ones for the
rest of us.

Hope it don't rain,

Ray
Austin, TX
===

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 25 May 2007 11:07:11 -0700, Nonnymus wrote:

> 3# of mixed chicken gizzards, hearts and livers with home made fries.

Do you need to borrow some money, or what?

-at
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
EZ EZ is offline

Nonnymus wrote:
> 3# of mixed chicken gizzards, hearts and livers with home made fries.
> If the neighbors are home, I might also do 3 racks of ribs and invite
> them over.

Mmmm. Growing up, my dad was the only one who would eat the chicken
gizzards, neck, liver, etc. Now, I rather like chicken livers in a nice
gravy, with onions, over rice.

Speaking of Dad, I'm hoping he's feeling up to coming over. He's 93 years
young, so now and again he's a bit too tired to venture out.

--
EZ
Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
EZ EZ is offline

Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman wrote:

<snip some great stuff>

> Hope it don't rain,

Me, too. But, if it does, I've erected a gazebo on my patio, and I'll just
wheel the Traeger under it and keep on smokin'. Only difference will be, the
guests probably won't want to sit outside, even though I also have a 13-foot
umbrella. Probably will get a tad uncomfortable.

EZ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
EZ EZ is offline

Anonymous Troll wrote:

> Do you need to borrow some money, or what?

OK, twice in one day is enough. I suppose the moniker isn't a joke, after
all.

<PLOINK>

--
EZ
Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"
CharGriller Smokin Pro
Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Wide Body
CharmGlow 3-burner All-Stainless Gas Grill
Weber Kettle One-Touch Silver 22-1/2"
Weber Kettle Smoky Joe Silver 14-1/2"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman wrote:

> If the weather does not hold up, then there is plan B. Gumbo. I bought a pail
> of gumbo at Sam's and will enhance the flavor with some fresh jalapeños, fresh
> sausage from Elgin, TX and some okra. There will be the regular fare, Cholula
> hot sauce, sliced jalapeños, bread and sodas for the kids and cold ones for the

Ray, I don't recall if I've mentioned it before, but we occasionally
make a gumbo variant here when I need food on short notice. I always
keep a couple pounds of shrimp and a couple pounds of scallops in the
freezer. . . just in case. When we need some fast "whatever," I will
make up a couple boxes of Zataran's Red (or black) Beans and Rice, using
the directions on the box. About 10 minutes before it's done, I will
dump in a pound of shrimp and a pound of scallops. Occasionally, if I
have some squid, I'll toss rings of it in as well.

The resulting seafood "whatever," is darned good. In fact, I also make
it on the side burner of the grill when doing hamburgers, on occasion,
and serve it as a soup before dinner.

The only suggestion for this is that it works best with medium sized
shrimp. The bigger ones just are too big for the typical serving size.
I use something in the 30 count. Likewise, bay scallops seem to just
disappear into the "whatever," so I get the sea scallops and cut them up
into quarters or halves, depending on size. Squid rings work better
than tubes, also.

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
trying to make others appear shorter.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Anonymous Troll wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2007 11:07:11 -0700, Nonnymus wrote:
>
>> 3# of mixed chicken gizzards, hearts and livers with home made fries.

> Do you need to borrow some money, or what?
>
> -at

No thanks, but I appreciate your concern. I've hit a point in life
where I cook and eat what I enjoy. I grew up in a family where Mom
would buy whole chickens and cut them up to fry. She'd save the heart,
gizzard and liver in a crock in the freezer, adding to it as time went
by. About every couple months, she take the parts out, thaw them and
soak them in buttermilk for an overnight. The next day, they'd get
floured and fried. It's comfort food for me.

Surprisingly, my neighbor is midwesterner as well, and we usually invite
each other over when cooking up chicken innards. He grew up on them as
well.

Ever had sweetbreads?

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
trying to make others appear shorter.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

EZ wrote:

>> Hope it don't rain,

> Me, too. But, if it does, I've erected a gazebo on my patio, and I'll just
> wheel the Traeger under it and keep on smokin'. Only difference will be, the
> guests probably won't want to sit outside, even though I also have a 13-foot
> umbrella. Probably will get a tad uncomfortable.

That's one of the better parts of living in the desert, now. Most of
the folk I know cook much of their meals outdoors. It just doesn't make
sense to fire up the stove or oven in the kitchen, while paying money to
run the air conditioner. We're thinking about expanding the outdoor
area by the pool to include a natural gas oven, since I have natural gas
to the grill and infrared cooker. We get some freezing weather in
January, so a dishwasher wouldn't be very practical in an outside
kitchen, but it's only a few steps inside.

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
trying to make others appear shorter.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 25 May 2007 12:18:30 -0700, Nonnymus wrote:

> Ever had sweetbreads?

You mean.. donuts and bear claws? Sure. Hasn't everybody?

Pancreas and thymus, too. I brine and smoke 'em whole, then grill
or pan fry slices.

-at
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
KW KW is offline

"EZ" > wrote in message
> How's about a thread telling everybody what you're cooking this fine
> weekend? In the USA, Monday is when we celebrate Memorial Day, and it's
> usually a big barbecue weekend.
>
> I'm doing:
>
> Two 9-1/2 pound bone-in turkey breasts, to be injected tonight with juice
> and Jack Daniels mixture
> Six racks of Costco babyback ribs already coated with various rubs for
> variety.
>
> All on the Traeger starting at 1:00 tomorrow. Cook 'til they're done, then
> fill up the Traeger with sweet peppers, squash, zucchini, onions, and any
> other fresh veggies covered with EVOO and a little S&P, while the meat

rests
> and gets cut up. Homemade potato salad and a pot of doctored-up baked

beans
> will finish out the sides. Somewhere around a dozen people coming over,

give
> or take a few, and I want to be sure there's enough for everybody to take
> some home!
>
> EZ

Cut & pasted answer posted on r.f.c.

Tonight we will be feeding 10 (4 adults and 6 children ages 5-12)

Appetizer - White Wings® served fajita-style with my signature home-made
salsa, sour cream and guacamole
Main Course - Grilled Salmon fillet's topped with fresh peach salsa, grilled
asparagus, grilled corn-on-the-cob and a TBD bread (Might throw together a
salad as well)
Dessert - Chocolate Delight

Rest of the weekend is up in the air right now as we have a graduation party
to attend Sat evening and other commitments Sun & Mon.

Might pull a rack of ribs and a butt out of the freezer to smoke on Monday
though.
KW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

EZ wrote:

> How's about a thread telling everybody what you're cooking this fine
> weekend?

Strawberry shortcake.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Andrew Soto" > wrote in message

> Three racks of spares with Blues Hog rub
> Three racks with Mary's Cherry
> Ten breasts with a variety of rubs
> Smoke: Cherry & Apple
>
> All cooking on the Stump's 222CM as I write this. Should be ready for
> a late lunch.
>
> On Monday, 6 Tri-Tips with Santa Maria style rub cooked over red oak.
>
> Oh yeah, and way too many cold beers!!

Who-in-the-hell-are-you-and-why-don't-I-already-know-you???
;-) ;-) ;-)

Just lit the fire to start the weekend's cooks on *MY* *Stump's 222 CM* and
a Kamado or two (all Stoker controlled...or not)

Ont 9-1/2# pork picnic, skins scored and completely rubbed with Mary's
Cherry
Couple of racks of St. Louis trimmed spares...Hmmm??? Mary's Cherry?
Possibly
Couple of racks of St. Louis trimmed spares with homebbq.com Rib Rub
Big bunch of chicken thighs, rubs and sauces subject to changeat any time
At least 2 butts with Bad Byron's Butt Rub, served with vinegarsauce on the
side
Several 10# bags of wings. Hot and spicy sauce.
40 ABTs (I ain't trimming and stuffing any more!!!!)
One or two packer cut briskets. One probably injected and cooked
"hot-and-fast" for about 4 to5 hours

Probably numerous veggies will be grilled. Oh, a few stuffed portabellas.

BOB
Can you tell? There's a party in the neighborhood

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Anonymous Troll" > wrote in message

> On Fri, 25 May 2007 11:11:38 -0500, probe1957 wrote:
>
> > We bought the large Big Green Egg last weekend so I am pretty new
> > to this. By the time I got the table stained, that didn't leave us
> > much time for cooking. Anyway, I have a couple of pork tenderloins
> > marinading as we speak. I think I may try smoking a pork butt.

> Pork tenderloins ?!?!?! <snork>? What kind of pussy-shit is that?
> This guy has a BGE and all he cooks are a couple of those sissy
> pork tenderloins <boggle>.
>
> -at

What's the matter? Can't you afford tenderloins?

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"EZ" > wrote in message
> How's about a thread telling everybody what you're cooking this fine
> weekend? In the USA, Monday is when we celebrate Memorial Day, and it's
> usually a big barbecue weekend.

Menu is not complete yet, but stuffed and wrapped pork tenderloins is going
to be one of them.

First, I'll filet the tenderloins (I forget the term for this) to open them
flat, about 3/8" thick. The stiffing will be apples, dried cherries,
caramelized onions in one of them, the other will be caramelized onions,
mushrooms, Parma cheese. Roll them up, then wrap them with bacon. (you
could probably use part of a loin)

I've made this in the oven, but this time it will be on the grill. I'm
working on a sauce but have not perfected it yet. It is a reduction of
(modest price) balsamic vinegar and red wine. Worst case is that I'll use
some of the good balsamic vinegar and no wine.

This will be served with roasted potatoes and grilled veggies.

Appetizer will be crab cake salad.

Dessert will be grilled pineapple with ice cream that came from Vermont
Castings.

Ingredients
1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
1/4 teaspoon (0.6 g) ground cinnamon
4 thick slices fresh pineapple
2 tablespoons (28 g) butter, melted
1 pint (288 g) vanilla or rum raisin ice cream
3–4 tablespoons (45–60 ml) rum (gold, dark, or spiced)

Directions
1.. Preheat grill to medium.
2.. In flat dish, stir together sugar and cinnamon. Brush pineapple with
melted butter and then dip into sugar mixture, coating both sides. Shake off
excess.
3.. Place on grate over heat and cook until brown and sizzling, 5 to 8
minutes per side.
4.. Serve at once, topped with ice cream and drizzled with 2 to 3
teaspoons (10 to 15 ml) of rum per serving.
Vermont Castings Modern Grilling

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Anonymous Troll wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2007 12:18:30 -0700, Nonnymus wrote:
>
>> Ever had sweetbreads?

> You mean.. donuts and bear claws? Sure. Hasn't everybody?
>
> Pancreas and thymus, too. I brine and smoke 'em whole, then grill
> or pan fry slices.

Excellent. We do them sliced in flour and pan fried. The gravy is just
as important, IMHO. I've never smoked them.

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
trying to make others appear shorter.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"EZ" > wrote in message
> How's about a thread telling everybody what you're cooking this fine
> weekend? In the USA, Monday is when we celebrate Memorial Day, and it's
> usually a big barbecue weekend.
>
> I'm doing:
>
> Two 9-1/2 pound bone-in turkey breasts, to be injected tonight with juice
> and Jack Daniels mixture
> Six racks of Costco babyback ribs already coated with various rubs for
> variety.
>
> All on the Traeger starting at 1:00 tomorrow. Cook 'til they're done, then
> fill up the Traeger with sweet peppers, squash, zucchini, onions, and any
> other fresh veggies covered with EVOO and a little S&P, while the meat
> rests and gets cut up. Homemade potato salad and a pot of doctored-up
> baked beans will finish out the sides. Somewhere around a dozen people
> coming over, give or take a few, and I want to be sure there's enough for
> everybody to take some home!
>
> EZ

Sounds pretty good EZ... Gonna get the babybacks ready later today, sit in
the fridge with the rub on over night, probably start 'em around 5:30 am or
so. Party's at 1:30 or so tomorrow, want to make sure they're done and done
right this time. Like you, 6 racks. I'll probably throw some hot italian
sausage and some sweet sausage in next to 'em part way through, and I always
do my baked beans in the smoker as well. It's an upright, so they sit on
the lowest rack, under all the meat. Not the most healthy baked beans you'll
ever eat, but boy does that dripping fat/juices really make 'em good.

Head down to my brother in laws around noon or so, take the ribs, sausage
and beans, along with homemade potato salad, then we'll do a shrimp boil
there with shrimp, sausage, onions, garlic, potatoes, corn, etc... along
with someone bringing homemade macaroni salad and my wife will make her pico
de gallo.

Couple all that food with plenty of adult beverages and I think it's gonna
be one hell of a good time

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
EZ EZ is offline

43fan wrote:

> Sounds pretty good EZ... Gonna get the babybacks ready later today,
> sit in the fridge with the rub on over night, probably start 'em
> around 5:30 am or so. Party's at 1:30 or so tomorrow, want to make
> sure they're done and done right this time. Like you, 6 racks. I'll
> probably throw some hot italian sausage and some sweet sausage in
> next to 'em part way through, and I always do my baked beans in the
> smoker as well. It's an upright, so they sit on the lowest rack,
> under all the meat. Not the most healthy baked beans you'll ever eat,
> but boy does that dripping fat/juices really make 'em good.

Dynamite. I used to do that myself, when I had a vertical smoker.

> Head down to my brother in laws around noon or so, take the ribs,
> sausage and beans, along with homemade potato salad, then we'll do a
> shrimp boil there with shrimp, sausage, onions, garlic, potatoes,
> corn, etc... along with someone bringing homemade macaroni salad and
> my wife will make her pico de gallo.

Woohoo! I'll bet it was terrific.

> Couple all that food with plenty of adult beverages and I think it's
> gonna be one hell of a good time

Same here. My party turned out great. Both my boys and their wives, one
mother in law, my wife, and our dog. As expected, everybody ate til they
hurt. We sat around recovering, looking at everybody's wedding pictures,
which I did as a slideshow on my widescreen. And everybody had ribs to take
home. I ended up with only one meal of ribs and a few of turkey, and some
leftover beans. Those are all gone now, as some other friends came by
yesterday.

Darn the luck, looks like I'll have to do up some more slow smoked barbecue
this weekend !!! Pass the beer!

EZ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"EZ" > wrote in message
t...
> 43fan wrote:
>
>> Sounds pretty good EZ... Gonna get the babybacks ready later today,
>> sit in the fridge with the rub on over night, probably start 'em
>> around 5:30 am or so. Party's at 1:30 or so tomorrow, want to make
>> sure they're done and done right this time. Like you, 6 racks. I'll
>> probably throw some hot italian sausage and some sweet sausage in
>> next to 'em part way through, and I always do my baked beans in the
>> smoker as well. It's an upright, so they sit on the lowest rack,
>> under all the meat. Not the most healthy baked beans you'll ever eat,
>> but boy does that dripping fat/juices really make 'em good.

> Dynamite. I used to do that myself, when I had a vertical smoker.
>
>> Head down to my brother in laws around noon or so, take the ribs,
>> sausage and beans, along with homemade potato salad, then we'll do a
>> shrimp boil there with shrimp, sausage, onions, garlic, potatoes,
>> corn, etc... along with someone bringing homemade macaroni salad and
>> my wife will make her pico de gallo.

> Woohoo! I'll bet it was terrific.
>
>> Couple all that food with plenty of adult beverages and I think it's
>> gonna be one hell of a good time

> Same here. My party turned out great. Both my boys and their wives, one
> mother in law, my wife, and our dog. As expected, everybody ate til they
> hurt. We sat around recovering, looking at everybody's wedding pictures,
> which I did as a slideshow on my widescreen. And everybody had ribs to
> take home. I ended up with only one meal of ribs and a few of turkey, and
> some leftover beans. Those are all gone now, as some other friends came by
> yesterday.
>
> Darn the luck, looks like I'll have to do up some more slow smoked
> barbecue this weekend !!! Pass the beer!

LOL, was thinkin' the same thing. I managed to hold on to one full rack of
ribs, but half of those are bein' overnighted to Georgia to a buddy of mine
down that way that wants to try 'em out. They're shrinkwrapped and in the
freezer now, hoping that an overnight shipment will keep 'em good. The
other half goes to another buddy here local tomorrow sometime.

Not sure what's on the "menu" for this weekend yet though, have to do some
thinkin'...