Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Made A 55 Gallon Barrel Cooker

I made a cooker out of a 55 gallon barrel as has been discussed in the
past. They work really well as far as holding temperature and not having
to turn the meat.

What I did was, using a barrel that has a removable lid, drill three
evenly spaced holes, 1/2 inch big, around the base about 3-4 inch up
from bottom and then drilled 6 evenly spaced holes, 1/2 inch big in the lid.

I bought the barrel for $7, grill for $16, stainless nuts/bolts for $3,
used bricks to hold up an old grill upon which I placed a ring of steel
to contain the coals. I also drilled a tight fitting hole for a probe to
go in just below the grill level.

I used 3 weber chimney's of unlit briquettes, and one chimney of lit
briquettes on top on the unlit (of course , I slapped two spare ribs
on with rub and they were the best I have ever made, and it's the
easiest to do, the thing practically runs itself, I kid you not, So I
highly recommend this style of homemade cooker.

With the hole sizes that I used and the amount of coals that I used it
came up to 263F and locked in until it started to cool off, the ribs
were membrane side down and as I said, never turned them.They were so
bloody tender, too tender. They cook about an hour faster due to the design.

Piedmont

P.S.: My wife Jean is doing ok so far with her lung cancer. Chemo only
reduced the lung tumor slightly and didn't stop the adrenal gland from
growing by 35%. Our next treatment is specialized: Shaped Beam Radio
Surgery, then probably followed up with future chemotherapy. Thank God
for good medical insurance!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
adm adm is offline

"Piedmont" > wrote in message
>I made a cooker out of a 55 gallon barrel as has been discussed in the
>past. They work really well as far as holding temperature and not having to
>turn the meat.
>
> What I did was, using a barrel that has a removable lid, drill three
> evenly spaced holes, 1/2 inch big, around the base about 3-4 inch up from
> bottom and then drilled 6 evenly spaced holes, 1/2 inch big in the lid.
>
> I bought the barrel for $7, grill for $16, stainless nuts/bolts for $3,
> used bricks to hold up an old grill upon which I placed a ring of steel to
> contain the coals. I also drilled a tight fitting hole for a probe to go
> in just below the grill level.
>
> I used 3 weber chimney's of unlit briquettes, and one chimney of lit
> briquettes on top on the unlit (of course , I slapped two spare ribs on
> with rub and they were the best I have ever made, and it's the easiest to
> do, the thing practically runs itself, I kid you not, So I highly
> recommend this style of homemade cooker.

Sounds great. That's a lot of coal to use for two racks of ribs though. I
presume the cooker would cook way more on the same fuel load though.

Sorry to hear about your wife. I hope the treatment works. My thoughts are
with you both.

> With the hole sizes that I used and the amount of coals that I used it
> came up to 263F and locked in until it started to cool off, the ribs were
> membrane side down and as I said, never turned them.They were so bloody
> tender, too tender. They cook about an hour faster due to the design.
>
> Piedmont
>
> P.S.: My wife Jean is doing ok so far with her lung cancer. Chemo only
> reduced the lung tumor slightly and didn't stop the adrenal gland from
> growing by 35%. Our next treatment is specialized: Shaped Beam Radio
> Surgery, then probably followed up with future chemotherapy. Thank God for
> good medical insurance!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

adm wrote:
> "Piedmont" > wrote in message
>> I made a cooker out of a 55 gallon barrel as has been discussed in the

>> I used 3 weber chimney's of unlit briquettes, and one chimney of lit
>> briquettes on top on the unlit (of course , I slapped two spare ribs on
>> with rub and they were the best I have ever made, and it's the easiest to
>> do, the thing practically runs itself, I kid you not, So I highly
>> recommend this style of homemade cooker.

> Sounds great. That's a lot of coal to use for two racks of ribs though. I
> presume the cooker would cook way more on the same fuel load though.

>> Piedmont

Yes, lot of briquettes, most other folks use rib stands to load up the
cooker. I don't have a rib stand yet. Also, some add a second grill for
things such as chicken wings but as for all double stackers you'll lose
a lot of heat on the upper level if you try to cram too much on the
lower level.

I made up my mind about making when I saw a lot of activities going on
with them at this web site, search on 'big drum' after you log in to web
site, go to discussion section: 'Q-Talk'

> http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php

There are also a ton of pictures there of food results and of
construction. Follow links contained within some of the posting too.

Piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

TFM® wrote:
> "Piedmont" > wrote in message
>> I made a cooker out of a 55 gallon barrel as has been discussed in the
>> past. They work really well as far as holding temperature and not having

>snip

> We're dealing with the cancer thing as well for the last year or more. Best
> wishes to you and her, and may we all come out better.
>
> --
> TFM®
> (Good thoughts and prayers to ya)

Some of the same to Kili and you!

Fats,

Here is a link that has pics of others drums, where I got my notes from.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ghlight=Smoker

Piedmont
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

TFM® wrote:
> "Piedmont" > wrote in message
>>
>> P.S.: My wife Jean is doing ok so far with her lung cancer. Chemo
>> only reduced the lung tumor slightly and didn't stop the adrenal
>> gland from growing by 35%. Our next treatment is specialized: Shaped
>> Beam Radio Surgery, then probably followed up with future
>> chemotherapy. Thank God for good medical insurance!

> We're dealing with the cancer thing as well for the last year or
> more. Best wishes to you and her, and may we all come out better.

I've been meaning to check in with you two regarding your wife's health.
I've just been so absorbed with my own cancer that I haven't, and I
apologize. Please give your wife a gentle hug from me; I know first-hand
how difficult this is.

kili
--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

kilikini wrote:
> TFM® wrote:

SNIP
> I've been meaning to check in with you two regarding your wife's health.
> I've just been so absorbed with my own cancer that I haven't, and I
> apologize. Please give your wife a gentle hug from me; I know first-hand
> how difficult this is.
>
> kili
> --
> http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Thank you kili, I will for sure, here is Jean's Caring Bridge page if
you'd like to visit it.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/avryjeanwillsey

Warmest Regards,
Piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 15:13:15 -0600, Piedmont > wrote:

>I made a cooker out of a 55 gallon barrel as has been discussed in the
>past. They work really well as far as holding temperature and not having
>to turn the meat.

<snipped good info>

ive also made a few of these, cut the top off and dovetail the lid back onto the drum.
bricks, a 30 gal metal trash can lid with a weber kettle charcoal rack in the bottom.
first ring on the drum from the bottom has 4 holes drilled front to back with 2 pieces
of rebarb ran thro. this holds a brinkman water pan and the cooking rack out of a kettle.
second ring on the drum from the top has 4 holes front and back with 2 pieces of
rebarb for a second kettle cooking rack. on the lid, the big hole gets a 4 inch nipple and
a 3 foot piecs of 3 inch doublewall pipe with a cap, the smaller hole in the lid gets a stainless
dial therm. cost, absolutely nothing, made from old grill parts and construction trash.
with 10 or 15 lbs of charcoal in the bottom and feed it a wet stick of hardwood
occasionaly, this baby will smoke some meat. it has 2 small doors cut in the front,
one in the bottom for fire access and one in the middle for water pan access.
both doors are small and wired on with coathangers.

first one of these i made as a teen, couldnt afford a real smoker back then, and even tho i have
a trailer smoker and numerous charcoal and gas grills around the house now, i still keep
and cook on one now. next time i fire it up ill take and post some pics.

its ugly as hell but it works ;]]

Scootz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Piedmont" > wrote in message

> 'She's ugly, but boy can she cook!' : )
>
> Piedmont

That sounds like a line to get a relative married off.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Scootz" > wrote in message
snip>
> its ugly as hell but it works ;]]

> Scootz

'She's ugly, but boy can she cook!' : )

Piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
t...

> "Piedmont" > wrote in message
> >>

> > 'She's ugly, but boy can she cook!' : )
> >
> > Piedmont

> That sounds like a line to get a relative married off.

The song from the 60's came to my mind? Something about marry an ugly women
and you'll never have to worry.... Sum-thin like that!
Piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Piedmont wrote:

> The song from the 60's came to my mind? Something about marry an ugly women
> and you'll never have to worry.... Sum-thin like that!

If You Wanna Be Happy
Jimmy Soul
May, 1963 LeGrand-S.P.Q.R Records

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

A pretty woman makes her husband look small
And very often causes his downfall
As soon as he married her and then she starts
To do the things that will break his heart

But if you make an ugly woman your wife
A-you'll be happy for the rest of your life
An ug-a-ly woman cooks meals on time
And she'll always give you peace of mind

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

[Sax solo]

Don't let your friends say you have no taste
Go ahead and marry anyway
Though her face is ugly, her eyes don't match
Take it from me, she's a better catch

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

[Spoken:]
Say man!
Hey baby!
I saw your wife the other day!
Yeah?
Yeah, an' she's ug-leeee!
Yeah, she's ugly, but she sure can cook, baby!
Yeah, alright!

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

Transcribed by Cliff Walker from the single
"Cliff Walker" >

--
Reg