Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Pastrami Perfection!

I guarantee this will give you good results,

01. Pastrami Wet Brine at,

http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/discursion.htm#Pastrami!

Prepare the brine one or even 2 days before you need it to allow flavors
to completely leech into the water. Store in fridge. 2 gallons of brine
will cover three fully trimmed briskets when I use 5 to 8 gallon drink
cooler.

I have those round tall orange beverage coolers that I use to
brine/marinade in. I also have an empty spare refrigerator that I use to
hold the meat while it brines.

02. Prepare you beef brisket thus, trim all the way, separate point from
flat,reserve the trimmed fat. (see photos)

http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/discur...Beef%20Brisket

Trim all fat! Separate point from flat! (see photo's) Cut or poke holes
through the meat.

Cover meat with brine, store in fridge for 5 days.

03. After 5 days, rinse meat well to remove spices and excess external
salt. Place in smoker, use light smoke!, smoke until done (190F internal
meat temp), wrap in foil, place in cooler until the next day. Slice and
store.

Ruebin Sandwich Recipe

Rye Bread
Pastrami
Swiss Cheese
Sour Kraut
Russian Dressing

Russian Dressing Recipe
1 cup mayo, 2 tablespoons horseradish, 1/4 cup chili sauce or ketchup,
teaspoon grated onion, optional: 1 teaspoon Worcestershire

Butter one side of slice of rye bread, place butter side down in a
skillet, next swiss cheese, next pastrami,next squeeze dried sour kraut,
next two tablespoon Russian dressing, next second slice of Rye, butter
side out, make like a grilled cheese sandwich.

Regards,
Piedmont
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Piedmont" > wrote in message
>I guarantee this will give you good results,

I've been following your pastrami making with great interest. Weather is
such here that outdoor smoking is off the charts for another month or so,
but I ran across this recipe which claims to be the original Romanian recipe
that Montreal smoked meat is descended from. What do you think? The
weighting of the meat after each step is different than what I usually see
in recipes.

Pastrami

Phaed

Recipe for Dry Curing Brisket/Plate into Pastrami.

With a mortar and pestle (or a coffee grinder) grind the following to a
course textu

1. 3lbs course kosher salt
2. 2lbs peppercorns
3. ½lbs sugar
4. ½lbs coriander seeds
5. 3 Tbs whole cloves
6. 10 whole bay laurel leaves
7. 2 Tbs saltpeter

Rub a 7lbs plate with raw garlic then coat with salt mixture. Let sit,
covered,
in the cooler for three days. Turn it over every 12 hours.

Rinse the meat under cold running water for 5 minutes and remove all the
surface
salt mixture. Let it soak in fresh water (change the water every half hour)
for
3 hours.

Coat the meat with two parts cracked black peppercorns and one part cracked
coriander seeds. Press the mixture into the meat. Weight it down and place
in
the cooler for eight hours.

Smoke (cherrywood) over medium-low heat for eight hours or until the
internal
temperature reaches 165f. Immediately weight the meat down and let cool for
24 hours in the cooler.

Steam the meat for three hours. Immediately weight the meat and let it cool
for 24 hours in the cooler.

Re-heat the meat in the steamer for half an hour. Slice and serve.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

D. Winsor wrote:

> I've been following your pastrami making with great interest. Weather is
> such here that outdoor smoking is off the charts for another month or so,
> but I ran across this recipe which claims to be the original Romanian recipe
> that Montreal smoked meat is descended from. What do you think? The
> weighting of the meat after each step is different than what I usually see
> in recipes.
>
> Pastrami
>
> Phaed
>

> Recipe for Dry Curing Brisket/Plate into Pastrami.
>
> With a mortar and pestle (or a coffee grinder) grind the following to a
> course textu
>
> 1. 3lbs course kosher salt
> 2. 2lbs peppercorns
> 3. ½lbs sugar
> 4. ½lbs coriander seeds
> 5. 3 Tbs whole cloves
> 6. 10 whole bay laurel leaves
> 7. 2 Tbs saltpeter
>
> Rub a 7lbs plate with raw garlic then coat with salt mixture. Let sit,
> covered,
> in the cooler for three days. Turn it over every 12 hours.

I've used plate. It's not bad, darn good actually, but it's hard to
get around here and it's not worth a special order. I use a packer
cut brisket (point and flat).

Since a brisket is thicker than plate, especially in the point,
you might have to cure it for longer than this recipe calls for.
If you're using curing salts, you'll be able to see if the cure
penetrated all the way to the center or not, which it should (yet
another reason I really like curing salts).

Also, don't use saltpeter. Use prague powder #1, aka instacure.

> Rinse the meat under cold running water for 5 minutes and remove all the
> surface
> salt mixture. Let it soak in fresh water (change the water every half hour)
> for
> 3 hours.
>
> Coat the meat with two parts cracked black peppercorns and one part cracked
> coriander seeds. Press the mixture into the meat. Weight it down and place
> in
> the cooler for eight hours.
>
> Smoke (cherrywood) over medium-low heat for eight hours or until the
> internal
> temperature reaches 165f. Immediately weight the meat down and let cool for
> 24 hours in the cooler.
>
> Steam the meat for three hours. Immediately weight the meat and let it cool
> for 24 hours in the cooler.
>
> Re-heat the meat in the steamer for half an hour. Slice and serve.

Instead of smoking it to 165 F then steaming it, smoke it all the
way to around 190 F like you would a regular brisket. If you smoke
it properly you can skip the steaming part altogether.

As far as using weights, I've never found it useful for meats.
The only product I find this technique useful for in a short
cure situation such as this is seafood. Pressing it during curing
gives it a firmer texture. This is something that meat doesn't
benefit from in anything other than an extended dry curing
context. To my tastes, anyway. Just my opinion.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On my last brisket I used a turkey injector to inject a saturated
> solution into the fat layer between the point and the flat. While
> the flat under the point is still thicker, I'd like to think it
> made sure it cured completely - which it did. It was a small
> brisket and cured in less than 36 hours. Completely red
> throughout.

Injecting speeds things up for sure. In your hands (and most
of the regulars in this group) I'm sure the results are
excellent. But for some reason, it seems to trip up a
majority of the wannabe cooks I run into.

I was at a backyard party recently where the guy made a
pretty acidic marinade, full of citrus juice, etc, and pumped
all the chickens full of it the day before cooking. You could
feel where the pockets of marinade had been just by biting
into the finished product. The marinade sat in pools inside the
bird overnight and left large swaths of mushy, unpalatable
meat. It completely destroyed the texture.

Bad technique to say the least, and it's common. The injectors
don't come with very good instructions.

The funny thing is, he thought it was great.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Looks like it would com out tasty!
Piedmont

Perfection graham[_4_] General Cooking 9 26-10-2016 08:33 AM
Pancake perfection! notbob General Cooking 2 26-12-2012 07:17 PM
I did a bad bad thing! I messed with tradition and perfection!! John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 39 19-12-2011 01:58 PM
Grilling Steak Tips For Perfection Jay Howard Sourdough 1 27-07-2009 05:26 PM
Perfection Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 4 05-11-2006 08:15 PM