Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Boston Butt on Weber

I have read many recipes and posts from the board but have a question
as I seen to be getting some conflicting opinions.

I am going to smoke a 6lbs boston butt on a Weber kettle this weekend.
I want to be able to slice it when I am done, not pulled and chopped.
I am looking to get to an internal temp of about 170 (I would prefer
160 but others are afraid that is too low). I hope to keep the grill
temp between 200 and 250. It will be tough to be more accurate with a
Weber kettle.

Most advice says 45 minutes per pound. For 6 lbs I am looking at three
hours. However, a bunch of what I read says it I should look at some
where around double that time or more.

Is the longer time going to end up in a much higher internal temp and
therefore more suitable for pulling it off the bone and having pulled
pork?

I have no problem waiting till the internal temp is right but I am
trying to plan the finish time so we know when to eat. I don't want to
start too early or too late.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 8-Dec-2006, wrote:

> I have read many recipes and posts from the board but have a question
> as I seen to be getting some conflicting opinions.
>
> I am going to smoke a 6lbs boston butt on a Weber kettle this weekend.
> I want to be able to slice it when I am done, not pulled and chopped.
> I am looking to get to an internal temp of about 170 (I would prefer
> 160 but others are afraid that is too low). I hope to keep the grill
> temp between 200 and 250. It will be tough to be more accurate with a
> Weber kettle.
>
> Most advice says 45 minutes per pound. For 6 lbs I am looking at three
> hours. However, a bunch of what I read says it I should look at some
> where around double that time or more.
>
> Is the longer time going to end up in a much higher internal temp and
> therefore more suitable for pulling it off the bone and having pulled
> pork?
>
> I have no problem waiting till the internal temp is right but I am
> trying to plan the finish time so we know when to eat. I don't want to
> start too early or too late.

A Boston Butt or just plain butt in it's natural state is a tough piece of
meat. Once you get it done enough to break down all of that tough
collagen, you have a pretty narrow range between sliceable and falling
apart tender. Part of the problem is that the temperature where the
tough parts of the meat begin to break down varies a lot from one
cut to another. The generally accepted point is about 167°F, but I've
seen some hang at 172° for a couple of hours. If you take it off at
about 170°F internal, then wrap it, put it in a dry cooler and let it
rest for a couple of hours, you're likely to get close to what you
want. It should climb to 175° or more while resting and that should
get the job done. If not, sue me.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I have read many recipes and posts from the board but have a question
as I seen to be getting some conflicting opinions.

I am going to smoke a 6lbs boston butt on a Weber kettle this weekend.
I want to be able to slice it when I am done, not pulled and chopped.
I am looking to get to an internal temp of about 170 (I would prefer
160 but others are afraid that is too low). I hope to keep the grill
temp between 200 and 250. It will be tough to be more accurate with a
Weber kettle.

Most advice says 45 minutes per pound. For 6 lbs I am looking at three
hours. However, a bunch of what I read says it I should look at some
where around double that time or more.

<snip>

6 to 8 # butts take 7 hours in my pit at 250° to 275°F cooking temp.
Minimum of 6 and some take 8 hrs.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
adm adm is offline

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have read many recipes and posts from the board but have a question
> as I seen to be getting some conflicting opinions.
>
> I am going to smoke a 6lbs boston butt on a Weber kettle this weekend.
> I want to be able to slice it when I am done, not pulled and chopped.
> I am looking to get to an internal temp of about 170 (I would prefer
> 160 but others are afraid that is too low).

If you're looking for 160 internal, then you want to roast it, not smoke it.
It's a pork roast.

Use a bit of wood for smoke flavour, sure.... I recommend apple.

I do this a lot. You want a good hot fire in your weber (indirect of course)
so you get good crackling. (Make sure yuour butt (shoulder, right ?) has
good skin on it and slice a diagonal pattern in the skin. Rub sea salt into
this before cooking)

Personally, for a 6lb cut, i would cook it hot, take it off at around
150-155 internal and let it rise to 160-165. Should give a nice bit of pork.

> I hope to keep the grill
> temp between 200 and 250. It will be tough to be more accurate with a
> Weber kettle.

Get it much hotter than that. You're roasting, not Q'ing.

> Most advice says 45 minutes per pound. For 6 lbs I am looking at three
> hours. However, a bunch of what I read says it I should look at some
> where around double that time or more.

Buy a meat thermometer - preferably a remote one such as the Maverick ET-73
(Google)

It's done when it's done - and a thermometer will tell you when that is.

> Is the longer time going to end up in a much higher internal temp and
> therefore more suitable for pulling it off the bone and having pulled
> pork?

If you want it sliced, you're looking at maybe 2 hours tops. Nicely cooked
roast pork with crackling. Don't confuse it with slow cooked, pulled pork -
it's one or the other....

> I have no problem waiting till the internal temp is right but I am
> trying to plan the finish time so we know when to eat. I don't want to
> start too early or too late.

6lbs, hot weber, indirect cook, apple wood for flavour, c.2 hours.....yummy.

Buy a meat thermometer though....

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

> I have read many recipes and posts from the board but have a question
> as I seen to be getting some conflicting opinions.
>
> I am going to smoke a 6lbs boston butt on a Weber kettle this weekend.
> I want to be able to slice it when I am done, not pulled and chopped.
> I am looking to get to an internal temp of about 170 (I would prefer
> 160 but others are afraid that is too low). I hope to keep the grill
> temp between 200 and 250. It will be tough to be more accurate with a
> Weber kettle.
>
> Most advice says 45 minutes per pound. For 6 lbs I am looking at
> three hours. However, a bunch of what I read says it I should look
> at some where around double that time or more.
>
> Is the longer time going to end up in a much higher internal temp and
> therefore more suitable for pulling it off the bone and having pulled
> pork?
>
> I have no problem waiting till the internal temp is right but I am
> trying to plan the finish time so we know when to eat. I don't want
> to start too early or too late.

I used to use the Kettle as my main smoker in the past (WSM now).
There's no way you'll get it done in three based on my prior
experience. One reason is that with the Kettle, every time you have to
add charcoal or smoke wood, you have to lift the lid, losing all the
hot air. Also, if you don't have one with "trap-door" grill, you
usually have to take the whole grill and meat off to get at the piles.

You can try to feed wood or charcoal in through the handles areas, but
I never found to be satisfactory, plus I prefer not to have the handles
over the hot part.

I have used the Minion Method for this device with some success.
However, you're limited in how much unburned charcoal you can
reasonably start with.

Of course, you can go hotter, which is pretty easy to do in the Kettle,
and that will get you done sooner.

Brian

won't shut up.
-- Dorothy Gambrell (
http://catandgirl.com)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Me Me is offline

Thanks everyone. Adm, I took your advice to heart the most.

I ended up getting a 9 lbs butt. Roasted it indirect with the kettle
temp fluctuating between 275 and 350. After about 2 and a half hours
the internal temp was 150. At three and a half it was 160. I took it
off after about 4 3/4 hours and it was about 170. I wrapped it in tin
foil and a towel and put it in a cooler until we ate it about two hours
later. The meat was juicy and the knife sliced it like butter. All
the guests said it was awesome. It was all too easy.