Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Boston Butt on my Weber Silver Genesis?

I know this grill aint great for low & slow, but I got a good deal on a
4lb BB today and won't get a smoker til' Christmas.

I'm thinking I'll use the same technique I do on my briskets: 5 hours
of indirect heat with smoke then 5 hours in the oven in foil.

Good?

Would 325 be a good target temp?

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article . com>,
"geemike" > wrote:

> I know this grill aint great for low & slow, but I got a good deal on a
> 4lb BB today and won't get a smoker til' Christmas.
>
> I'm thinking I'll use the same technique I do on my briskets: 5 hours
> of indirect heat with smoke then 5 hours in the oven in foil.

I would shoot for about 250 degrees...until the internal temp is 195.

I've done ribs, butts and brisket on my Weber gas grill and they came
out okay. Now I've also got a Weber Smokey Mountain...so I use it.
Very easy to use and maintain temperature...it's hard to screw up when
using a WSM.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I have smoked on the Genesis in this fashion as someone suggested on this NG
sometime ago. Smoke with either the front or back burner on only. Place
chunks of wood wrapped in foil on the flavorizer bars over that burner.
Place your brisket either forward or backward, and rotate meat 180 degrees
at whatever interval you choose. I use an oven thermometer find the
front/back burner configuration that will give the lowest temp. I'm able to
get the temp. down to 225F this way. It doesn't work as well as the vertical
charcoal smoker. It does allow you to smoke, and to "set it and forget it."

Kent

"geemike" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I know this grill aint great for low & slow, but I got a good deal on a
> 4lb BB today and won't get a smoker til' Christmas.
>
> I'm thinking I'll use the same technique I do on my briskets: 5 hours
> of indirect heat with smoke then 5 hours in the oven in foil.
>
> Good?
>
> Would 325 be a good target temp?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thanks for the replies.

It was a very busy weekend so I ended up putting it in the crock pot
and we made Cuban ropa veija, which is extremely yummy.

Recipe: http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/7035/ropavieja.html

Mike

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Speaking of Boston Butt

A few folks have suggested smoking Boston Butt. I haven't seen one in a
local grocery store in quite some time. Safeway is having it's
recurring "million pound pork" event, so I went in to get some
country-style ribs and look for a Boston Butt.

None to be found.

I asked the butcher and he told me the shoulder blade roast was the same
cut. I looked at my reflection in a mirror and thought about it... my
shoulder is nowhere near my butt, and nothing like my butt.

Next stop was at City Market (a Kroger affiliate). They had a roast
labeled shoulder blade roast/butt.

So, evidently butchers think of the shoulder as a butt.

I'm confused.

Any hints on pork cuts? Is the shoulder blade roast the same as a butt?

Thanks,
Mike

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In alt.food.barbecue, Mike Avery > wrote:

> Any hints on pork cuts? Is the shoulder blade roast the same as a butt?

Yes. The "butt" part refers to the butt of the picnic shoulder. The
large part of a whole tenderloin, for example, is a "tenderloin butt".

--
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
--Edward R. Murrow
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"alt.food.barbecue" > wrote:
> A few folks have suggested smoking Boston Butt. I haven't seen one in a
> local grocery store in quite some time. Safeway is having it's
> recurring "million pound pork" event, so I went in to get some
> country-style ribs and look for a Boston Butt.
> [ . . . ]
> So, evidently butchers think of the shoulder as a butt.
>
> I'm confused.
>
> Any hints on pork cuts? Is the shoulder blade roast the same as a butt?

I've got a more detailed one somewhere, but can't find it. Meanwhile:

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/porkcuts.htm

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 14:44:16 -0600, Mike Avery
> wrote:

>So, evidently butchers think of the shoulder as a butt.

As they should, since it is both the end and the larger piece of the
foreleg.

butt

–noun 1. the end or extremity of anything, esp. the thicker, larger,
or blunt end considered as a bottom, base, support, or handle, as of a
log, fishing rod, or pistol.
2. an end that is not used or consumed; remnant: a cigar butt.
3. a lean cut of pork shoulder.
4. Slang. the buttocks.
5. Slang. a cigarette.

--
If we could live without passion maybe we'd know some kind of peace, but we
would be hollow. Empty rooms, shuttered and dank. Without passion we'd be truly dead.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >, Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 14:44:16 -0600, Mike Avery wrote:
>
>> So, evidently butchers think of the shoulder as a butt.

> Plain 'ol Pork Butt is the shoulder. Ham is rear butt + rear
> thigh/leg. To further confuse matters, the ham is made up of two
> sections - the butt end and the shank end. The butt of the ham is
> the ass side, of course.
>
><http://www.hormel.com/templates/knowledge/knowledge.asp?catitemid=31&id=158>

Steve -- So aptly put!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 24-Sep-2006, Mike Avery > wrote:

> A few folks have suggested smoking Boston Butt. I haven't seen one in a
> local grocery store in quite some time. Safeway is having it's
> recurring "million pound pork" event, so I went in to get some
> country-style ribs and look for a Boston Butt.
>
> None to be found.
>
> I asked the butcher and he told me the shoulder blade roast was the same
> cut. I looked at my reflection in a mirror and thought about it... my
> shoulder is nowhere near my butt, and nothing like my butt.
>
> Next stop was at City Market (a Kroger affiliate). They had a roast
> labeled shoulder blade roast/butt.
>
> So, evidently butchers think of the shoulder as a butt.
>
> I'm confused.
>
> Any hints on pork cuts? Is the shoulder blade roast the same as a butt?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Yes. I just posted the whole description a couple of days ago. A pork
shoulder contains two bones. One in the picnic or top portion of the
front leg and the other the shoulder blade. They are joined at the
shoulder. The part of the shoulder above the joint is called by a
variety of names, shoulder roast and butt are the most common.
It is uncommon to find a whole shoulder in the meat market. I don't
know what "Boston" means in connection with pork butt, but it is
often listed as Boston butt. Food Network has used that term in
several recipes, but does not explain it. Just look for a shoulder
roast or butt roast or just butt. It should be seven or eight pounds
and contain only one bone.

--
Brick(also confused)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:22:57 GMT, wrote:

>On 24-Sep-2006, Mike Avery > wrote:
>
>> A few folks have suggested smoking Boston Butt. I haven't seen one in a
>> local grocery store in quite some time. Safeway is having it's
>> recurring "million pound pork" event, so I went in to get some
>> country-style ribs and look for a Boston Butt.
>>
>> None to be found.
>>
>> I asked the butcher and he told me the shoulder blade roast was the same
>> cut. I looked at my reflection in a mirror and thought about it... my
>> shoulder is nowhere near my butt, and nothing like my butt.
>>
>> Next stop was at City Market (a Kroger affiliate). They had a roast
>> labeled shoulder blade roast/butt.
>>
>> So, evidently butchers think of the shoulder as a butt.
>>
>> I'm confused.
>>
>> Any hints on pork cuts? Is the shoulder blade roast the same as a butt?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike

>Yes. I just posted the whole description a couple of days ago.

Google found the following.

Harry

"In pre-revolutionary New England and into the Revolutionary War, some
pork cuts (not those highly valued, or "high on the hog," like loin
and ham) were packed into casks or barrels (also known as "butts") for
storage and shipment. The way the hog shoulder was cut in the Boston
area became known in other regions as "Boston Butt." This name stuck
and today, Boston butt is called that almost everywhere in the US,…
except in Boston.

"Picnic ham" is a little challenging, even for the Pork Board folks.
Generally, the shoulder is smoked, they say, which gives it a very
ham-like flavor. Since picnic shoulder/ham is an inexpensive
substitute for real ham (which only comes from the hind legs), they
speculate that it would have been considered a good cut for casual
dining — such as a picnic — rather than for use at a formal family
dinner, such as Easter or Thanksgiving.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 26-Sep-2006, Harry Demidavicius > wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:22:57 GMT, wrote:
>

> >On 24-Sep-2006, Mike Avery > wrote:
> >
> >> A few folks have suggested smoking Boston Butt. I haven't seen one in
> >> local grocery store in quite some time. Safeway is having it's
> >> recurring "million pound pork" event, so I went in to get some
> >> country-style ribs and look for a Boston Butt.
> >>
> >> None to be found.
> >>
> >> I asked the butcher and he told me the shoulder blade roast was the
> >> same
> >> cut. I looked at my reflection in a mirror and thought about it... my
> >> shoulder is nowhere near my butt, and nothing like my butt.
> >>
> >> Next stop was at City Market (a Kroger affiliate). They had a roast
> >> labeled shoulder blade roast/butt.
> >>
> >> So, evidently butchers think of the shoulder as a butt.
> >>
> >> I'm confused.
> >>
> >> Any hints on pork cuts? Is the shoulder blade roast the same as a
> >> butt?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Mike

> >Yes. I just posted the whole description a couple of days ago.

> Google found the following.
>
> Harry
>
> "In pre-revolutionary New England and into the Revolutionary War, some
> pork cuts (not those highly valued, or "high on the hog," like loin
> and ham) were packed into casks or barrels (also known as "butts") for
> storage and shipment. The way the hog shoulder was cut in the Boston
> area became known in other regions as "Boston Butt." This name stuck
> and today, Boston butt is called that almost everywhere in the US,…
> except in Boston.
>
> "Picnic ham" is a little challenging, even for the Pork Board folks.
> Generally, the shoulder is smoked, they say, which gives it a very
> ham-like flavor. Since picnic shoulder/ham is an inexpensive
> substitute for real ham (which only comes from the hind legs), they
> speculate that it would have been considered a good cut for casual
> dining — such as a picnic — rather than for use at a formal family
> dinner, such as Easter or Thanksgiving.

Thanks for that research Harry. Somewhere around here I have diagrams
of both beef and pork showing and naming the normal cuts of meat. I'll
repost the diagrams if ever I can find them again.

--
Brick(Inquiring minds just want to know)