Crabapple Wood? OK or Not OK to use when Smoking

Old 02-09-2006, 06:48 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Crabapple Wood? OK or Not OK to use when Smoking

I just picked up some crabapple wood from my neighbor who was cutting the tree down.

Is it worth the effort to cut & dry the wood for future smokings?

We really enjoy doing ribs, brisket & pork shoulder.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Glen

Old 02-09-2006, 08:50 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Glen S" wrote in message
I just picked up some crabapple wood from my neighbor who was cutting the
tree down.

Is it worth the effort to cut & dry the wood for future smokings?

We really enjoy doing ribs, brisket & pork shoulder.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

It has bee u sed. Rule of thumb is any fruit bearing or nut bearing tree is
good. Take a sliver and light it. Once it is burning, blow it out and
sniff the smoke. It should smell sweet enough to eat.

Old 03-09-2006, 08:48 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"Glen S" wrote in message
I just picked up some crabapple wood from my neighbor who was cutting the
tree down.

Is it worth the effort to cut & dry the wood for future smokings?

We really enjoy doing ribs, brisket & pork shoulder.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

It has bee u sed. Rule of thumb is any fruit bearing or nut bearing tree

is
good. Take a sliver and light it. Once it is burning, blow it out and
sniff the smoke. It should smell sweet enough to eat.

I've been using crab apple wood for a couple of years with no ill effects.

IMO, It's nigh impossible to differentiate any difference between crab apple
and eating apple wood.

Graeme

Old 03-09-2006, 01:48 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Graeme...in London" wrote in message

I've been using crab apple wood for a couple of years with no ill effects.

I bet a lot of people may disagree with that

Old 04-09-2006, 11:24 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Glen S" wrote in message
I just picked up some crabapple wood from my neighbor who was cutting the
tree down.

Is it worth the effort to cut & dry the wood for future smokings?

We really enjoy doing ribs, brisket & pork shoulder.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

It has bee u sed. Rule of thumb is any fruit bearing or nut bearing tree

is
good. Take a sliver and light it. Once it is burning, blow it out and
sniff the smoke. It should smell sweet enough to eat.

I've been using crab apple wood for a couple of years with no ill effects.

IMO, It's nigh impossible to differentiate any difference between crab
apple
and eating apple wood.

So you're saying it tastes the same to smoke with crabapple as it does to
eat regular apple wood? I guess I could try it but doesn't the bark get
stuck between your teeth?

--
The Honorable Reverend Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" Boner

Old 05-09-2006, 02:13 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Glen S wrote:
I just picked up some crabapple wood from my neighbor who was cutting the tree down.

Is it worth the effort to cut & dry the wood for future smokings?

It is absolutely worth the effort. Crabapple wood is one of my
favourites. Take all you can.

Cam