Seven Minute Frosting vs White Mountain Frosting

Old 25-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

Default Seven Minute Frosting vs White Mountain Frosting

Both are "fluffy white frostings" and contain virtually the same ingredients,
the technique being the main difference. Having made both of these many
times, I can't tell a noticeable difference in taste or texture.

I find the technique for making White Mountain Frosting far less fussy to
work with and no beating in a double boiler on a hot stove.

Does anyone see a noticeable difference between the two?

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-5, 06/25/2005
Tested on: 6/25/2005 12:31:54 PM

Old 25-06-2005, 11:38 PM
Roy
Usenet poster

The seven minute frosting is where the ingredients are beaten while
being heated while the white mountain is prepared like an Italian
meringue.. Texture wise they are not different but I find more
stability and versatility with the latter as I can blend it fat to
convert it to a sort of light buttercream.

Old 26-06-2005, 01:21 AM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

On Sat 25 Jun 2005 03:38:50p, Roy wrote in rec.food.baking:

The seven minute frosting is where the ingredients are beaten while
being heated while the white mountain is prepared like an Italian
meringue.. Texture wise they are not different but I find more
stability and versatility with the latter as I can blend it fat to
convert it to a sort of light buttercream.

Thanks for your reply, Roy. I also prefer making the white mountain. I had
no idea you could also add fat to it. At what point do you do this? Can you
suggest an amount?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-5, 06/25/2005
Tested on: 6/25/2005 5:17:36 PM

Old 26-06-2005, 06:07 AM
Roy
Usenet poster

For me white mountain frosting I can add up to equivalent its weight of
softened butter but the frosting will be like a buttercream; or when I
make butter icing I can incorporate the white mountain frosting to
lighten it up.

Old 26-06-2005, 06:22 AM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

On Sat 25 Jun 2005 10:07:10p, Roy wrote in rec.food.baking:

For me white mountain frosting I can add up to equivalent its weight of
softened butter but the frosting will be like a buttercream; or when I
make butter icing I can incorporate the white mountain frosting to
lighten it up.

Thanks, Roy. I'll give this a try the next time I make white mountain
frosting.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-5, 06/25/2005
Tested on: 6/25/2005 10:19:03 PM

Old 28-06-2005, 07:26 PM
.
Usenet poster

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Sat 25 Jun 2005 10:07:10p, Roy wrote in rec.food.baking:

For me white mountain frosting I can add up to equivalent its weight of
softened butter but the frosting will be like a buttercream; or when I
make butter icing I can incorporate the white mountain frosting to
lighten it up.

Thanks, Roy. I'll give this a try the next time I make white mountain
frosting.

Thanks to both of you. I had never heard of white mountain frosting
before. I looked it up on http://cake.allrecipes.com and it looks much
easier to make than seven minute frosting. I'll have to give it a try next
time I need a frosting.

By the way, I noticed that the seven minute frosting seems to be more
sweet. My wife prefers a whipped cream frosting (just stabilized whipped
cream with sugar or honey) and finds the seven minute frosting to be too
sweet. Hopefully she'll like the white mountain frosting.

Old 29-06-2005, 05:34 AM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

On Tue 28 Jun 2005 11:26:44a, "." wrote in rec.food.baking:

[...]

I have used the following recipe many times and it never fails. I don't
think it's overly sweet and it has a wonderful texture.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fluffy White Frosting

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1/3 Cup Water
Dash Salt

2 Egg Whites
1 Teaspoon Vanilla

In a saucepan combine sugar, cream of tartar, 1/3 cup water and a dash of
salt. Cook until bubbly and the sugar dissolves.

In a mixer bowl combine egg whites and vanilla. Add hot sugar syrup very
slowly to the unbeaten egg whites while beating constantly at high speed
using an electic mixer. Beat for 5-7 minutes or until stiff peaks form.

This will frost the top and side of two 8 or 9 inch layers or one 10-inch
tube cake.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0526-1, 06/28/2005
Tested on: 6/28/2005 9:31:01 PM

Old 29-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Ida Slapter
Usenet poster

On 29 Jun 2005 06:34:43 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

I have used the following recipe many times and it never fails. I don't
think it's overly sweet and it has a wonderful texture.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fluffy White Frosting

Here is another variation that is just like whipped cream. Light and
fluffy.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Boiled Frosting

Frostings

1 cup milk
4 tablespoon flour
3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix flour and milk over medium heat until it forms a paste. Let cool.

Mix butter and sugar together then beat in cooled flour and milk
mixture.
This will take 10 minutes, at least, until no sugar granules can be
felt
between fingers. Add vanilla.

Yield: 1 batch

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures may not
be consistent with what you know to be true.
As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!
Old 29-06-2005, 06:40 PM
.
Usenet poster

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I have used the following recipe many times and it never fails. I don't
think it's overly sweet and it has a wonderful texture.

Thanks Wayne. I'll be sure to use this next time I make a cake. I like the
prep time, 0:00, 8^).

[...]

Wayne Boatwright *=BF*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

--=20

Old 29-06-2005, 06:49 PM
.
Usenet poster

wrote:

I have used the following recipe many times and it never fails. I don't
think it's overly sweet and it has a wonderful texture.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fluffy White Frosting

Here is another variation that is just like whipped cream. Light and
fluffy.

Boiled Frosting

Frostings

1 cup milk
4 tablespoon flour
3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix flour and milk over medium heat until it forms a paste. Let cool.

Mix butter and sugar together then beat in cooled flour and milk
mixture. This will take 10 minutes, at least, until no sugar granules
can be felt between fingers. Add vanilla.

Yield: 1 batch

Hmm, looking at the ingredients I wouldn't have expected this to be light
and fluffy. Looks like I'll need to make two cakes in the near future.

Both your and Wayne look good. They are all ingredients I have on hand all
the time. The stabilized whipped cream I make is a bother. I can never
seem to find the right cream for the job. Regular cream is too thin,
whipping cream is full of things other than just cream and English double
cream is too fatty.

In my area there is Loblaws PC Heavy Cream (brand made specifically for
the Loblaws store). It is perfect for making whipped cream frosting.
Unfortunately, it is always sold out. No additives or preservatives so you
can buy it and keep it around.

Old 29-06-2005, 09:20 PM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

On Wed 29 Jun 2005 10:40:10a, "." wrote in rec.food.baking:

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I have used the following recipe many times and it never fails. I
don't think it's overly sweet and it has a wonderful texture.

Thanks Wayne. I'll be sure to use this next time I make a cake. I like
the prep time, 0:00, 8^).

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fluffy White Frosting

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Well, it *seems* like it takes no time at all. :-) The mixer does all the
work, and I use a stand mixer, so I can walk away.

--
Wayne Boatwright տլ

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Old 29-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

wrote:

[...]

That's like the frosting I use for Waldorf Astoria Red Cake. It's really
good!

--
Wayne Boatwright տլ

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974