Jenn

Default choco chip cookie recipe

Someone my hubby recently spoke to has a child who's allergic to eggs, soy,
animal milk, wheat,
oats, rye and barley and wants to make them chocolate chip cookies. Any
ideas for recipes that she can make or what she can use for substitutions
for any ingredients? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! Jenn. W.

Vox Humana

"Jenn" <wannabeachef @ wideopenwest.com> wrote in message
> Someone my hubby recently spoke to has a child who's allergic to eggs,

soy,
> animal milk, wheat,
> oats, rye and barley and wants to make them chocolate chip cookies. Any
> ideas for recipes that she can make or what she can use for substitutions
> for any ingredients? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! Jenn. W.

I would recommend that the family ask the MD who diagnosed the allergies to
give them a referral to Registered Dietitian. With all these food
allergies, they need some professional help. The dietitian should be able
to point them to appropriate recipe sources. I think this is more a medical
issue than a baking issue.

Angela Arnold

> "Jenn" <wannabeachef @ wideopenwest.com> wrote in message
> Someone my hubby recently spoke to has a child who's allergic to eggs,
> soy,
> animal milk, wheat,
> oats, rye and barley and wants to make them chocolate chip cookies. Any
> ideas for recipes that she can make or what she can use for substitutions
> for any ingredients? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! Jenn. W.

Here are two recipes. They're from the GFCFRecipes Yahoo Group. You
might want to suggest to your friend that she subscribe to the above
Yahoo group and also the Yahoo group, POFAK (Parents Of Food Allergic
Kids).
Recipe #1:
Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4 c Bette Hagman flour blend*
* (2 parts white rice flour, 2/3 part potato starch, 1/3 part tapioca
starch)
2 T flax seed powder
2 1/2 t xanthan gum
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 c margarine (Spectrum and Mother's both make soy/dairy free
margarines)
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c granulated sugar
2 eggs (Use egg substitute to equal 2 eggs. Ener-G brand is
egg/soy-free.)
1 1/2 t vanilla
12 oz. chocolate chips (May have to look around for these. Check
Trader
Joe's, Miss Roben's or Ener-G.)

Mix the first 5 ingredients and set aside. Blend margarine till soft
with
electric mixer, then add each of the remaining ingredients (except
chocolate
chips) mixing between each addition. Use a wooden spoon to mix dry
ingredients with wet ingredients, then chill for an hour in the
fridge. I
usually drop onto a cookie sheet using a 1/2 teaspoon, so they come
out
bite-sized. Then I place two chocolate chips on the top of each
cookie.
Bake in a 350 oven for 7 minutes for soft cookies, and a minute or two
longer for crunchy cookies.

Recipe #2:
GFCFSFEF Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/2 cup Spectrum Naturals Organic Shortening (100% organic pressed
palm oil)
1/2 cup safflower oil (substituted for margarine)
1/2 cup maple sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs (you can use your egg substitute)
1 tsp GF vanilla
2 1/2 cups Bette Hagman's flour blend (See recipe above for mixture)
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 cup chocolate chips (See recipe above for tips)
Bake at 375 degrees F. for 9-11 minutes.
I think the next time I make them I will add some pureed pears to
moisten them up - especially if you use an egg substitute.

Hope these help.
Angel
Scott

In article >,
"Jenn" <wannabeachef @ wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> Someone my hubby recently spoke to has a child who's allergic to eggs, soy,
> animal milk, wheat,
> oats, rye and barley and wants to make them chocolate chip cookies. Any
> ideas for recipes that she can make or what she can use for substitutions
> for any ingredients? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! Jenn. W.

Look he
<http://www.celiac.com/cgi-bin/webc.c...d=54&sid=91hH9
H0mU7qDBVV-53103138433.e5>

as far as egg and dairy replacement, try
<http://www.ener-g.com/store/MilkEgg.aspx?sn=MilkAndEggSubstitutes>

please mail OT responses only
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Thu, 23
Oct 2003 14:24:59 -0400, during the rec.food.baking Community News
Flash "Jenn" <wannabeachef @ wideopenwest.com> reported:

>Someone my hubby recently spoke to has a child who's allergic to eggs, soy,
>animal milk, wheat,
>oats, rye and barley and wants to make them chocolate chip cookies. Any
>ideas for recipes that she can make or what she can use for substitutions
>for any ingredients? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! Jenn. W.

Be very careful with the chocolate chips as well. You'll need one
that doesn't have soy lecithin. If you know of a Jewish neighborhood
in your area that has a very Kosher shop, they might have chocolate
bars that are Kosher for Passover which doesn't have lecithin in it.
This is because most Jews of East European origins aren't allowed to
have soy products on Passover. Ask the shop owner or tell him you
need chocolate that has no licethin which is a legume by-product.
Items might say "contains no legumes" as well.

Finally, I found that Michel Cluizel has a chocolate bar that contains
only Cocoas, cane sugar and Bourbon vanilla pod - that's it, nothing
else! Its called "Ilha Toma" and its one of his Chocolate Amer bars
that's 65% cocoa solids. Chop that up into the recipe you got and you
may just have found your answer!

You can get Cluizel chocolates on www.chocosphere.com or the direct
link to those chocolates is http://tinyurl.com/s5x1 and a five bar
pack costs $5.75.

(Good luck.)

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
< davida at jdc dot org dot il >

Jenn

Thanks everyone! I'll forward all of this on to my hubby, who can forward
it all on to this person at work. Apparently, he talks about my going to
culinary school at the local college, and I'm in primarily baking classes,
(and he's always taking "samples" of my stuff to work!) so I often get
questions because I should just know everything! I thought helping out a
kid get some chocolate chip cookies was a good cause, though!
Jenn. W.