Steph G.B

Default Croissants

Hi!

Just wondering if anyone has good recipes for dough to make croissants. I
have a bread machine, so i would like recipes for bread machines.

Thanks

Vox Humana

"Steph G.B" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hi!
>
> Just wondering if anyone has good recipes for dough to make croissants.

> have a bread machine, so i would like recipes for bread machines.

Take a look at this before you got too committed to the process:
http://tinyurl.com/zmi0

Eric Jorgensen

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 13:52:29 GMT
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 08:29:54 -0500
> > Alan wrote:

> > > I don't think you can make croissants in a bread machine!

> > Some angry bread-machine user is about to point out that you can
> > use
> > most bread machines as a lousy stand mixer, so I'm just going to
> > state that you could maybe use the bowl in the bread machine to mix
> > the dough. But it's probably not worth it.
> >

> Exactly my thoughts. If you can't or won't make the dough by hand,
> you sure as hell aren't going to make croissants.

However! If we extrapolate based on the nature of machine-bread vs.
bread, and try to conceive of an automatic croissant maker for home use,
wouldn't it be grand if you could just dump in the ingredients and a few
hours later pull out a large cube of flaky goodness? It could be the
next 'bloomed' onion! Just imagine, a croissant the size of a
cantaloupe, that you can share with the whole family!

(Yeah, alright, not all that funny, but it's 8:30am and I've been at
work for 8 hours, and will be here for one and a half more)

Vox Humana

> On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 13:52:29 GMT
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>

> > "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message

> > > Some angry bread-machine user is about to point out that you can
> > > use
> > > most bread machines as a lousy stand mixer, so I'm just going to
> > > state that you could maybe use the bowl in the bread machine to mix
> > > the dough. But it's probably not worth it.
> > >

> > Exactly my thoughts. If you can't or won't make the dough by hand,
> > you sure as hell aren't going to make croissants.

> However! If we extrapolate based on the nature of machine-bread vs.
> bread, and try to conceive of an automatic croissant maker for home use,
> wouldn't it be grand if you could just dump in the ingredients and a few
> hours later pull out a large cube of flaky goodness? It could be the
> next 'bloomed' onion! Just imagine, a croissant the size of a
> cantaloupe, that you can share with the whole family!

I'm sure it could be done. The machine would be the size of a double-wide
trailer.

Dr.Needles

You need puff pastry. It's not makable in a bread machine.

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 09:03:33 -0400, "Steph G.B" > wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Just wondering if anyone has good recipes for dough to make croissants. I
>have a bread machine, so i would like recipes for bread machines.
>
>Thanks

Reg

Dr.Needles wrote:

> You need puff pastry. It's not makable in a bread machine.

No, you need yeasted puff pastry, in other words a yeasted, laminated
dough. Croissants are yeasted.

Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>Just wondering if anyone has good recipes for dough to make croissants. I
>have a bread machine, so i would like recipes for bread machines.

Dr.Needles

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 18:55:16 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>Dr.Needles wrote:
>
>> You need puff pastry. It's not makable in a bread machine.

>No, you need yeasted puff pastry, in other words a yeasted, laminated
>dough. Croissants are yeasted.

I think the original poster is more concerned about his bread machine
than he is about whether or not he needs yeast.

Reg

Dr.Needles wrote:

> I think the original poster is more concerned about his bread machine
> than he is about whether or not he needs yeast.

Well, neither the OP nor anyone else should be under the illusion
that croissants are made out of puff pastry, which is what you
posted. Just thought I'd clear things up.

Mike Acord

Default Puff Pastry and Croissants

Has anyone tried making croissants from frozen puff pastry dough? It
would seem to be an easy thing to cut triangles rom the dough, roll
them, and bake. I have not tried it, as I just thought of it, but i
would be interested in the input from someone with more free time.
Mike Acord

Reg

Mike Acord wrote:

> Has anyone tried making croissants from frozen puff pastry dough? It
> would seem to be an easy thing to cut triangles rom the dough, roll
> them, and bake. I have not tried it, as I just thought of it, but i
> would be interested in the input from someone with more free time.

I've done it with puff pastry and had very good results. I've
used chocolate, fruit, and savory filling etc, all the same that you'd
use for a croissant. It will not be the same as a crossaint however. It
will lack the yeasty flavor and unique texture that a true
croissant has.

The advantage of it is that you don't have the timing and
temperature issues that you do with a yeasted croissant, i.e.
there is no rising of dough, etc. The logistics are much simpler
with puff pastry, but what you end up with is a puff pastry
product, not croissants.

Vox Humana

"Mike Acord" > wrote in message
> Has anyone tried making croissants from frozen puff pastry dough? It
> would seem to be an easy thing to cut triangles rom the dough, roll
> them, and bake. I have not tried it, as I just thought of it, but i
> would be interested in the input from someone with more free time.
> Mike Acord

You wouldn't be making croissants. As has already been pointed out,
croissant dough is yeasted and puff pastry is not. They are both laminated
doughs. That is where the similarity begins and ends.

Kenneth

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 21:57:37 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>"Mike Acord" > wrote in message
>> Has anyone tried making croissants from frozen puff pastry dough? It
>> would seem to be an easy thing to cut triangles rom the dough, roll
>> them, and bake. I have not tried it, as I just thought of it, but i
>> would be interested in the input from someone with more free time.
>> Mike Acord

>You wouldn't be making croissants. As has already been pointed out,
>croissant dough is yeasted and puff pastry is not. They are both laminated
>doughs. That is where the similarity begins and ends.

Howdy,

I would add that the best croissants are not risen with commercial
yeast but instead use natural leavening (what many would call
sourdough.)

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Roy Basan

Kenneth > wrote in message >. ..
> On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 21:57:37 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Mike Acord" > wrote in message
> >> Has anyone tried making croissants from frozen puff pastry dough? It
> >> would seem to be an easy thing to cut triangles rom the dough, roll
> >> them, and bake. I have not tried it, as I just thought of it, but i
> >> would be interested in the input from someone with more free time.
> >> Mike Acord

> >You wouldn't be making croissants. As has already been pointed out,
> >croissant dough is yeasted and puff pastry is not. They are both laminated
> >doughs. That is where the similarity begins and ends.
> >

> Howdy,
>
> I would add that the best croissants are not risen with commercial
> yeast but instead use natural leavening (what many would call
> sourdough.)
>
> All the best,

Sourdough croissants?
If that croissant is in the classification of the viennese pastries
therefore flaky, whether its bakers yeast raised or sourdough does not
matter.The latter does not lend either to a good quality product.
Besides croissants even with normal yeast takes some time to proof if
that is leavened with starter( needs longer proofing than normal
bakers yeast raised croissant),by that time its fully proofed for
baking the roll in fat( likely butter) will have started to ooze out
affecting the flakiness of the end product.Or there is the tendency
that the descrite layering obtained by careful dough laminating
process will be reduced due to the acidity which weakens the gluten
and make it appear squat looking
Therefore the more flaky and well laminated you want from that item
its is sensible that the product must be not be standing in a proofer
for a really extended period in order to obtain an optimum quality
plump looking croissants.
However if you are looking at croissant shape roll which can be
appropriately called crescents with no or just minimal fat( no
layering) then that will be desirable as the flavor of sourdough will
give it and added edge.
BTW, with the standard croissants dough ,even by adding and old dough
will already confer some slight sourness to the product which makes
the consumer think that is really made with sourdough.
Best Croissants should have a distinctive buttery taste, flaky
texture with nice flavor( not too sour but aromatic) .It should have a
balance in taste with no overpowering acidic taste that is strongly
associated with sourdough and less with such viennoisierre.
Roy
Henry!

You might want to make a Brioche dough, which is a buttered dough, and then
laminate the dough, cut triangles and make croissants.
You do not have the hassle of a puff pastry dough, and if you proof it long
enough, the quality of those brioche croissants is acceptable.
--
Henry!
Q. Why do some bands even have bass players?

"Roy Basan" > a écrit dans le message de news:
> Kenneth > wrote in message

>. ..
> > On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 21:57:37 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> > wrote:

> > >You wouldn't be making croissants. As has already been pointed out,
> > >croissant dough is yeasted and puff pastry is not. They are both

laminated
> > >doughs. That is where the similarity begins and ends.
> > >

> > Howdy,
> >
> > I would add that the best croissants are not risen with commercial
> > yeast but instead use natural leavening (what many would call
> > sourdough.)
> >
> > All the best,

> Sourdough croissants?
> If that croissant is in the classification of the viennese pastries
> therefore flaky, whether its bakers yeast raised or sourdough does not
> matter.The latter does not lend either to a good quality product.
> Besides croissants even with normal yeast takes some time to proof if
> that is leavened with starter( needs longer proofing than normal
> bakers yeast raised croissant),by that time its fully proofed for
> baking the roll in fat( likely butter) will have started to ooze out
> affecting the flakiness of the end product.Or there is the tendency
> that the descrite layering obtained by careful dough laminating
> process will be reduced due to the acidity which weakens the gluten
> and make it appear squat looking
> Therefore the more flaky and well laminated you want from that item
> its is sensible that the product must be not be standing in a proofer
> for a really extended period in order to obtain an optimum quality
> plump looking croissants.
> However if you are looking at croissant shape roll which can be
> appropriately called crescents with no or just minimal fat( no
> layering) then that will be desirable as the flavor of sourdough will
> give it and added edge.
> BTW, with the standard croissants dough ,even by adding and old dough
> will already confer some slight sourness to the product which makes
> the consumer think that is really made with sourdough.
> Best Croissants should have a distinctive buttery taste, flaky
> texture with nice flavor( not too sour but aromatic) .It should have a
> balance in taste with no overpowering acidic taste that is strongly
> associated with sourdough and less with such viennoisierre.
> Roy

Kenneth

On 7 Jun 2004 15:45:41 -0700, (Roy Basan) wrote:

>Kenneth > wrote in message >. ..
>> On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 21:57:37 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
>> wrote:

>> >You wouldn't be making croissants. As has already been pointed out,
>> >croissant dough is yeasted and puff pastry is not. They are both laminated
>> >doughs. That is where the similarity begins and ends.
>> >

>> Howdy,
>>
>> I would add that the best croissants are not risen with commercial
>> yeast but instead use natural leavening (what many would call
>> sourdough.)
>>
>> All the best,

>Sourdough croissants?
>If that croissant is in the classification of the viennese pastries
>therefore flaky, whether its bakers yeast raised or sourdough does not
>matter.The latter does not lend either to a good quality product.
>Besides croissants even with normal yeast takes some time to proof if
>that is leavened with starter( needs longer proofing than normal
>bakers yeast raised croissant),by that time its fully proofed for
>baking the roll in fat( likely butter) will have started to ooze out
>affecting the flakiness of the end product.Or there is the tendency
>that the descrite layering obtained by careful dough laminating
>process will be reduced due to the acidity which weakens the gluten
>and make it appear squat looking
>Therefore the more flaky and well laminated you want from that item
>its is sensible that the product must be not be standing in a proofer
>for a really extended period in order to obtain an optimum quality
>plump looking croissants.
>However if you are looking at croissant shape roll which can be
>appropriately called crescents with no or just minimal fat( no
>layering) then that will be desirable as the flavor of sourdough will
>give it and added edge.
>BTW, with the standard croissants dough ,even by adding and old dough
>will already confer some slight sourness to the product which makes
>the consumer think that is really made with sourdough.
>Best Croissants should have a distinctive buttery taste, flaky
>texture with nice flavor( not too sour but aromatic) .It should have a
>balance in taste with no overpowering acidic taste that is strongly
>associated with sourdough and less with such viennoisierre.
>Roy

Hi Roy,

There need not be any detectable sour taste to naturally leavened
products, this, despite the American name "sourdough."

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Roy Basan

Kenneth > wrote in message >. ..
> On 7 Jun 2004 15:45:41 -0700, (Roy Basan) wrote:
>
> >Kenneth > wrote in message >. ..

> >> Howdy,
> >>
> >> I would add that the best croissants are not risen with commercial
> >> yeast but instead use natural leavening (what many would call
> >> sourdough.)
> >>
> >> All the best,

> >Sourdough croissants?
> >If that croissant is in the classification of the viennese pastries
> >therefore flaky, whether its bakers yeast raised or sourdough does not
> >matter.The latter does not lend either to a good quality product.
> >Besides croissants even with normal yeast takes some time to proof if
> >that is leavened with starter( needs longer proofing than normal
> >bakers yeast raised croissant),by that time its fully proofed for
> >baking the roll in fat( likely butter) will have started to ooze out
> >affecting the flakiness of the end product.Or there is the tendency
> >that the descrite layering obtained by careful dough laminating
> >process will be reduced due to the acidity which weakens the gluten
> >and make it appear squat looking
> >Therefore the more flaky and well laminated you want from that item
> >its is sensible that the product must be not be standing in a proofer
> >for a really extended period in order to obtain an optimum quality
> >plump looking croissants.
> >However if you are looking at croissant shape roll which can be
> >appropriately called crescents with no or just minimal fat( no
> >layering) then that will be desirable as the flavor of sourdough will
> >give it and added edge.
> >BTW, with the standard croissants dough ,even by adding and old dough
> >will already confer some slight sourness to the product which makes
> >the consumer think that is really made with sourdough.
> >Best Croissants should have a distinctive buttery taste, flaky
> >texture with nice flavor( not too sour but aromatic) .It should have a
> >balance in taste with no overpowering acidic taste that is strongly
> >associated with sourdough and less with such viennoisierre.
> >Roy

> Hi Roy,
>
> There need not be any detectable sour taste to naturally leavened
> products, this, despite the American name "sourdough."
>
> All the best,

Kenneth you might be talking about the french levain starter as the
main leavening action and not the san francisco starter .
Well I have seen a french style bakery who really did try sourdough
leavened croissants and the products looks somewhat inferior looking
just what I mentioned. Their starter, a european origin( notably
similar strains as the french levain) which they used to make many of
their bread.
They also made a croissants made with bakers yeast and if you are
sensitive you can taste the slight difference in flavor between the
two products.Unfortunately IMO the overpowering flavor of butter
tends to nullify flavor for such levain use in that particular product
..
In order to determine the long term feasibility of such sourdough
leavened croissants;
They hired an expert in sensory analysis together with a trained test
panel to determine if there is such a preference for sourdough as that
particular bakery is specializing in sourdough.They would like to
introduce a special sourdough croissants if its found to be superior
in the result of such test..
A sensory (triangle test / dou trio test) was done by a food
technologist to see the difference if the trained test panel could
really differentate preference for such baked product.
It was then followed by a ranking and descriptive test and the result
was also statistically evaluated through ANOVA( analysis of variance).
There were two to four different croissant recipes assessed by 20
trained judges( taste panel).
Two type of croissants for the triangle and dou trio ( between 100%
bakers yeast and 100% sourdough)test and four different leavened
doughs for the ranking and descriptive test namely:
The bakers yeast raised( straight dough).
The starter/bakers yeast combination,
bakers yeast and old dough
100% sourdough starter raised.
Well the sensory analysis results were in the following order of
preference:
100% bakers yeast straight dough
bakers yeast and fermented dough( from the same yeast) two stage (
sponge and dough)
natural starter/bakers yeast combination
100% natural sourdough
And with the triangle test/duo trio, there was the significant
preference for the bakers yeast raised croissants and less with the
naturally leavened croissants.
One thing that make the naturally leavened croissants not appreciated
was the inferior appearance and texture in the laminated structure(
less in flakiness) than with the bakers yeast raised item).It is also
chewy ,Which affect the appreciation of the product.Even if the ratio
of the ingredients,( except for the biological leavening normal yeast
or levain) the amount of butter and the level of sheeting and folding
were the same.

With regards to flavor assessment, there was no significant difference
when the result was statistically evaluated.
Meaning, the flavor between the two product( sourdough or bakers yeast
leavened croissants) are the same in such application.
Meaning preference for such naturally leavened croissants is not
significant and coupled with inferior appearance and smaller
volume;and does not merit it to be a long term succesful product.
In addition to that Extensive Customer survey and taste taste did not
confirms such preference for naturally leavened croissants either..
Another thing is with the starter leavened dough the croissant pastry
had slower proofing characteristics affecting the throughput when such
pastry is being made.
Therefore that bakery I mentioned ( after the sensory evaluation)and
survey)prefer to use sourdough in their hearth baked breads but would
rather use use baker yeast in other specialty goods such as
their,brioche,babka/kugelhoft, sweet dough, croissants and danish
pastries.
From that I can safely conclude that with normal lean leavened dough
a sourdough starter has better flavor but with rich doughs containing
large amount of butter its not worth the effort,time and has no
desirable benefit on the total quality of the end product.
Roy
Roy Basan

> You might want to make a Brioche dough, which is a buttered dough, and then
> laminate the dough, cut triangles and make croissants.
> You do not have the hassle of a puff pastry dough, and if you proof it long
> enough, the quality of those brioche croissants is acceptable.

Usually in shops especializing in TRUE french style croissants the
dough recipe is simple and leaner( that is no eggs at all unlike the
brioches). but contains flour, milk , some sugar, salt, yeast and
fat( butter).
I expect a brioche to have more butter content and heaps of eggs and
the dough character is different from that laminated pastry.

Besides an authentic brioche dough is supposed to be soft that you
need to chill it properly so that you can mold it into shapes you
like.
If you say that your croissant is like brioche; you might be talking
about the danish pastry which is prepared similarly but firmer and a
richer recipe than the croissant.

BTW, IMO Only an idiot, the ignorant and the lazy person would like to
make a croissant from puff paste.

Indeed you can shape a piece of puff pastry dough into a croissants
but if you eat that stuff you are not eating real croissant (but a
make believe one) and you leave the yeasty flavor to your imagination
.. If you do not have imagination...
Do not lose hope<g>.
For a real yeast taste there are means you can have that with your
improvised croissants.
Slice that make believe croissant lengthwise into two for a
croissant sandwich, cut also thin piece ( of well chilled) cake
yeast (like cheese), and place it inside your croissant, then top with
other fillings , greens,desired sauce etc.,
Another way is to spread butter and jam then sprinkle some instant
yeast on top of the jam and replace the other piece of that '
croissant' to complete the sandwich.

BON APPETIT!!

Roy

Reg

Roy Basan wrote:

> Besides an authentic brioche dough is supposed to be soft that you
> need to chill it properly so that you can mold it into shapes you
> like.

Also I would think that a true brioche dough has too much butter in
it to produce a workable laminated dough. I've never tried it, but
I'd think the butter in the detrempe would run together with the butter
and you wouldn't get good layering.

Plus I've never eaten a real croissant and then been left feeling
as though I had been deprived of butter.

Eric Jorgensen

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 20:44:40 GMT
Mike Acord > wrote:

> Has anyone tried making croissants from frozen puff pastry dough? It
> would seem to be an easy thing to cut triangles rom the dough, roll
> them, and bake. I have not tried it, as I just thought of it, but i
> would be interested in the input from someone with more free time.

What's even easier is if you're already in the freezer section at the
grocery store, you can just get these packages made by Pillsbury . . .

qahtan

OMG. bite your tongue. qahtan