Diane W. Saunders

Default Pastry Cream using Coconut Milk

Good day: I am making a coconut cake and would like to use pastry
cream as a filling between layers -- is it possible to substitute
coconut milk for regular milk in the pastry cream??????? As always,
my thanks to all of you.
Scott Taylor

"Diane W. Saunders" > wrote in message
om...
> Good day: I am making a coconut cake and would like to use pastry
> cream as a filling between layers -- is it possible to substitute
> coconut milk for regular milk in the pastry cream??????? As always,
> my thanks to all of you.

This is not exactly what you're looking for, but the end result should be
the same. It's from Emily Luchetti's book, A Passion for Desserts.

Coconut Pastry Cream:

1-1/2 C. milk

1-1/4 C. unsweetened coconut, toasted

4 large egg yolks

1/4 cup sugar

Pinch of salt

1/4 cup all purpose flour

Scald milk and stir in coconut. Cover pan and let steep for 10 minutes.

Strain milk and return to saucepan. Heat to scalding temperature again.

Meanwhile, beat yolks, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Beat in flour. Slowly
whisk in coconut milk. Return to pan and cook until thickened, stirring
constantly.

Pour into bowl and cool. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before using.

-Scott

Diane W. Saunders

"Scott Taylor" > wrote in message link.net>...
> "Diane W. Saunders" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Good day: I am making a coconut cake and would like to use pastry
> > cream as a filling between layers -- is it possible to substitute
> > coconut milk for regular milk in the pastry cream??????? As always,
> > my thanks to all of you.

> This is not exactly what you're looking for, but the end result should be
> the same. It's from Emily Luchetti's book, A Passion for Desserts.
>

> Coconut Pastry Cream:
>

> 1-1/2 C. milk
>
> 1-1/4 C. unsweetened coconut, toasted
>
> 4 large egg yolks
>
> 1/4 cup sugar
>
> Pinch of salt
>
> 1/4 cup all purpose flour
>

> Scald milk and stir in coconut. Cover pan and let steep for 10 minutes.
>
> Strain milk and return to saucepan. Heat to scalding temperature again.
>
> Meanwhile, beat yolks, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Beat in flour. Slowly
> whisk in coconut milk. Return to pan and cook until thickened, stirring
> constantly.
>
> Pour into bowl and cool. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before using.
>

> -Scott

My thanks to you -- have a lovely -- diane
Diane W. Saunders

"Scott Taylor" > wrote in message link.net>...
> "Diane W. Saunders" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Good day: I am making a coconut cake and would like to use pastry
> > cream as a filling between layers -- is it possible to substitute
> > coconut milk for regular milk in the pastry cream??????? As always,
> > my thanks to all of you.

> This is not exactly what you're looking for, but the end result should be
> the same. It's from Emily Luchetti's book, A Passion for Desserts.
>

> Coconut Pastry Cream:
>

> 1-1/2 C. milk
>
> 1-1/4 C. unsweetened coconut, toasted
>
> 4 large egg yolks
>
> 1/4 cup sugar
>
> Pinch of salt
>
> 1/4 cup all purpose flour
>

> Scald milk and stir in coconut. Cover pan and let steep for 10 minutes.
>
> Strain milk and return to saucepan. Heat to scalding temperature again.
>
> Meanwhile, beat yolks, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Beat in flour. Slowly
> whisk in coconut milk. Return to pan and cook until thickened, stirring
> constantly.
>
> Pour into bowl and cool. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before using.
>

> -Scott

Another thought -- if I were to use sweetened coconut could I
eliminare the sugar???? Again, my thanks.
Scott Taylor

"Diane W. Saunders" > wrote in message
om...
> "Scott Taylor" > wrote in message

link.net>...
> > "Diane W. Saunders" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Good day: I am making a coconut cake and would like to use pastry
> > > cream as a filling between layers -- is it possible to substitute
> > > coconut milk for regular milk in the pastry cream??????? As always,
> > > my thanks to all of you.

> > This is not exactly what you're looking for, but the end result should

be
> > the same. It's from Emily Luchetti's book, A Passion for Desserts.
> >

> > Coconut Pastry Cream:
> >

> > 1-1/2 C. milk
> >
> > 1-1/4 C. unsweetened coconut, toasted
> >
> > 4 large egg yolks
> >
> > 1/4 cup sugar
> >
> > Pinch of salt
> >
> > 1/4 cup all purpose flour
> >

> > Scald milk and stir in coconut. Cover pan and let steep for 10 minutes.
> >
> > Strain milk and return to saucepan. Heat to scalding temperature again.
> >
> > Meanwhile, beat yolks, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Beat in flour.

Slowly
> > whisk in coconut milk. Return to pan and cook until thickened, stirring
> > constantly.
> >
> > Pour into bowl and cool. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before using.
> >

> > -Scott

> Another thought -- if I were to use sweetened coconut could I
> eliminare the sugar???? Again, my thanks.

I bet you could cut down on the sugar, yes. This is conjecture, but if I
used the sweetened variety, I'd cut the sugar in half.

-Scott

Diane W. Saunders

"Scott Taylor" > wrote in message link.net>...
> "Diane W. Saunders" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "Scott Taylor" > wrote in message

> link.net>...
> > > "Diane W. Saunders" > wrote in message
> > > om...
> > >

> > > This is not exactly what you're looking for, but the end result should

> be
> > > the same. It's from Emily Luchetti's book, A Passion for Desserts.
> > >

> > > Coconut Pastry Cream:
> > >

> > > 1-1/2 C. milk
> > >
> > > 1-1/4 C. unsweetened coconut, toasted
> > >
> > > 4 large egg yolks
> > >
> > > 1/4 cup sugar
> > >
> > > Pinch of salt
> > >
> > > 1/4 cup all purpose flour
> > >

> > > Scald milk and stir in coconut. Cover pan and let steep for 10 minutes.
> > >
> > > Strain milk and return to saucepan. Heat to scalding temperature again.
> > >
> > > Meanwhile, beat yolks, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Beat in flour.

> Slowly
> > > whisk in coconut milk. Return to pan and cook until thickened, stirring
> > > constantly.
> > >
> > > Pour into bowl and cool. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before using.
> > >

> > > -Scott

> > Another thought -- if I were to use sweetened coconut could I
> > eliminare the sugar???? Again, my thanks.

> I bet you could cut down on the sugar, yes. This is conjecture, but if I
> used the sweetened variety, I'd cut the sugar in half.
>
> -Scott

Dear Scott: I used the above recipe only with coconut milk and
sweetened coconut flakes reducing the sugar by 1/2 as you suggested.
It is absolutely wonderful -- I do thank you. diane